Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: leg pain

leg pain

Does anyone know if having kidney failure will cause your legs to hurt most of the time? I have not started dialysis yet I dont feel sick enough but dr thinks I should start. My creatnine goes between 9 and 11 but other thann legs hurting I feel okay. Any info you may have would be appreciated.

Re: leg pain

Hi there, no I have not heard of this. Keep a check on it and do bring it up to your doctor.
    I am not on dialysis yet, but talk is that I need to start soon. I have lower back aches, and that might be kidney failure symptoms. I'll let you know if I find out anything. Take care
    Mar
    Diabetic type2 on insulin 1991
    CKD stage 5 dialysis started7/27/11
    Catheter 7/26/'11 Fistula Oct.2011 Not yet matured (12/25/'11)
    Arthritis, back problems.

"Courage is the art of being the only one
    who knows your'e scared to death"

When do these pains happen? Mostly at night or when sitting around? If so maybe Restless Leg Syndrome. There are pills that often keep this from happening as differenced from cure this.
    CKD, Chronic kidney Disease, is reported to have some connection with leg pains and some feel it is just coincidental, but none the less mention it to both your nephrologist and your PCP. They should be able to take care of this sooner or later.
    Best of luck
    Cicero
    May God have mercy on us all

CK

Idiopathic globular membranous nephritis 1999-2006
    Feb 2006 Dx about 1-2 yrs before dialysis. Dialysis start 6-2006
    Chest Cath 4 mos in center hemo dialysis
    Fistula, button holes, self stick days 07-09 in center hemo
    Graft nocturnal hemo 4Q09 to present

Quote Originally Posted by momdeb View Post
    Does anyone know if having kidney failure will cause your legs to hurt most of the time? I have not started dialysis yet I dont feel sick enough but dr thinks I should start. My creatnine goes between 9 and 11 but other thann legs hurting I feel okay. Any info you may have would be appreciated.
    I started dialysis end of September all is going OK I hpk up Mon, Wed & fri but the mornign after my legs feel a little wobbly and the lower muscles ache but wears off by lunch time. I as the nirse if this was normal and she says yes it was.

momdeb, I'll throw something out to you that I discovered while talking with my brother about "restless leg." His doctor asked him if he was drinking decaffeinated coffee and tea. Proudly he said, "Yes!!" (You know, thinking that he was not consuming the caffeinated drinks--so it must be okay.) His doctor said, "Get off that decaff stuff now; the process that it goes through to make it decaff is what is making your legs hurt." So....I got off the decaff as well, and now I don't experience restless legs anymore. Even my nephrologist says to stay off caff and decaff, but if you have to have one or the other, have only a couple of ounces of the caffeinated; that goes for sugar, too, instead of artificial sweetners.

So, evaluate what you are consuming in the way of caffeinated and decaffeinted and see if any of it helps you.
    Stage 4 Chronic Kidney Disease, 17% renal function, 11 years
    *Non diabetic *Non dialysis
    High Blood Pressure, controlled

"Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God."
    ~Corrie ten Boom

Quote Originally Posted by momdeb View Post
    Before I started dialysis my legs were swollen and painful. while I initially contributed it to the long hours at work (50+ hours a week) It stopped completely after the first treatment. I believe it was the built-up fluid in my body. The doctors never confirmed this, But I do believe that is the case.

in center hemo dialysis since May 2009
    Sudden ESRD - non diabetic (but have 2 at home)
    turned down for list "lack of support" WHAT!!! starting over at different transplant center)

I'm interested in this question as I too, just in the last few weeks, have pains in my legs. They seem to be in my muscles and I find I'm very stiff and achy. but it's not in my arms or really any where else. At my last visit to doc my GFR WAS 22. Any one know any possible causes????
    lupus diagnosed 1988
    Peritoneal Dialysis 1996
    Kidney Transplant 1999
    At present Stage 4 CKD / GFR 20%

So far, my doctors have not been able to establish a valid diagnosis for excruciating bone pain that I get when I am walking and a very subtle, deep seated pain at night.

Bone scan just revealed 'shin splints' which the docs brushed aside as insignificant.
    Bone mineral density test turned out to be unremarkable.

Though the pains started even when my VitD levels were normal, the latest bloodwork indicated VitD deficiency... so, i have been asked to take 4000 IU OTC Vit D.

I am scared this might be pains from some sort of Osteoma ? bone cancer

Hi samcanbe, I am assuming the first thing your Dr. did was check the pulses in your legs and feet? Unless the pain is limited to your knees, it would be hard to tell if it's actual bone pain. The reason I say this is because your symptoms sound similar to what my mother went through. She ended up having bypass surgery on both legs. I'm not suggesting that you or anyone else should worry about blocked arteries but was wondering if your doc checked. Hope you get answers soon.

Toni
    May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
    Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

Hi Tonia,
    Thanks for the reply.
    Actually, now that I think about it... never. No doctor ever bothered to rule out any sort of peripheral vascular disease in the legs! and it is the legs, tibia and fibula, not the knee. Like, mostly in long bones, arms too...
    It does make sense to rule that out since probably have had high cholesterol for a while (which was only found out earlier in the year by accident).
    Thanks again, I will suggest my doctor to send me for a vascular ultrasound.
    Sam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast