Subscribe to this Thread…

Question In-center hemo dialysis to pd dialysis

Hello,
    Has anyone went from in-center hemo dialysis to pd dialysis?, If so are you happy with your decision.

Re: In-center hemo dialysis to pd dialysis

I am studying on home hemo or pd diaylisis. If you don't mind my asking why are you changing?

Have not totally made up my mind to switch, but seriously thinking about it. Just getting a little tired of the needles and the trips to the center 3 times a week. Thinking pd would give me the freedom from all that. It was my first choice before hemo, but changed my mind at the last moment. Was worried about where I would store the suppiles and also the fluid being in my stomach.

I'm on PD and it does take awhile to get use to carrying the fluid but they don't start you out with the whole amount. You can try to get on the night cycler after about a month and do PD during the night while you sleep and frees up your days totally. Some have to do one exchange during the day but right now I just do it while I'm sleeping and am dry during the days.

Thanks for your response. Were you ever on hemo dialysis? Just wondering were you happy with your switch.

Smile Re: In-center hemo dialysis to pd dialysis

Quote Originally Posted by denise1040 View Post
    Hello,
    Has anyone went from in-center hemo dialysis to pd dialysis?, If so are you happy with your decision.
    hi denise, i had been on hemo previously for ten years, before transitioning to PD, in which i am now in towards completion of my 10th year. I didn't choose PD by choice, i had no other alternative, but to transition to PD, because of numerous grafts and repairs, while having hemo, angioplasties and angiograms, i lost count, because mainly because of my very small veins, i experienced so much, trying to keep my graft safe for usage, but after ten years, and four grafts, and hemorraging episodes twice at home, having to have transfusions, it was time, and i am so greatful and blessed to have PD, as another way of dialyzing. I don't regret it, because i have had less hospitalization, and the most important thing with PD, is to stay safe and sanitary, to avoid the risk of the development of pertonititis. I hope this helps with your decision to transiton from hemo to PD. Hit me up anytime, preferably by private message.
    Glo