Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cramps

cramps

I get leg cramps at nite most every nite but more so after dialysis, is there something that i can get to releave the pain any help. have been on dialysis for 90 day now..

Re: cramps

I get cramps now & again so get up and walk around. My sister tells me to drink tonic water before bed as its contains quinine I think she said which helps cramps.

Cool Ah cramps the dialysis devil

If you have cramps after most dialysis treatments it can mean they have calculated your dry weight too low. Suppose they have it at 60 KG. Ask them to try it for one week at 62 Kg. If the cramps go away send me a quarter. If not ask if they think it will help to try at 64Kg.

The suggestion for tonic water is for the quinine that gives it its funny taste. My cramps were so bad prior to dialysis that I was taking quinine pills. They did not cause the cramps to go away. If they lessened the cramps I would have died if I did not take them.

I have found nothing that causes them to cease except now that I am on dialysis, if I don't go below my dry weight I am relatively cramp free, Now that is a blessing.

Here's hoping that they diminish and that life becomes a cramp free pleasure.

God have mercy on us all

Cicero
    May God have mercy on us all

CK

Idiopathic globular membranous nephritis 1999-2006
    Feb 2006 Dx about 1-2 yrs before dialysis. Dialysis start 6-2006
    Chest Cath 4 mos in center hemo dialysis
    Fistula, button holes, self stick days 07-09 in center hemo
    Graft nocturnal hemo 4Q09 to present

Re: Ah cramps the dialysis devil

What was your pottasium on your last lab values? I was having leg cramps at night and sure enough my potassium was a little low. My dietician suggested I eat peaches, as they will add a little but not too much pot. So far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by barman4 View Post
    I get leg cramps at nite most every nite but more so after dialysis, is there something that i can get to releave the pain any help. have been on dialysis for 90 day now..
    Hi Barman, here is a little info to help you understand why you could be experiencing cramps.

Fluid is a very important factor when it comes to having adequate dialysis treatment.
    Dry Weight - is the weight at which your body has no excess fluid and your blood pressure is well controlled.
    Fluid Weight - is the weight you gain between dialysis treatments from the fluids you consume.
    The fluids consumed between dialysis sessions will build up in the blood and tissues, causing swelling in your ankles and feet. Fluid can also collect in the lungs or around your heart causing shortness of breath or congestive heart failure. Fluid gained between treatments is removed during dialysis. Fluid does not show in swelling or breathing problems for some people, but they have problems getting fluid removed to reach the dry weight during dialysis. If you drink too much fluid it becomes more difficult to remove in one dialysis session. As a result excess fluid gains can cause low blood pressure, cramps, nausea and vomiting toward the end of dialysis treatment.
    Between dialysis treatments, your fluid weight gain should be about 1 to 3 kilograms or 2 to 6 pounds. I hope this helps.
    Glo

I get cramps still, It makes me hate to go to treatment. I am awful though I cant control my drinking as I a soooooo thirsty all the time, and I over drink but it feels so good in my dried out mouth. I am on many water removing meds and I am positive they contribute to my thirstyness. I try gum and sucking on ice but nothing feels so good as liquid going down. I want to drink like a fish, I am angry that I cant. But they try to pull all the water in my tissues and my body gets mad and cramps. If I could control my drinking, I would probably do much better. I know that they have to get your dry weight correct as well or you will get cramps for sure. I wish you luck and I so sorry you get cramps. oh and when my grandma was alive she was on dyalisis, she dramk quinine water and it helped. I have not tried that yet.

Since you have only been on dialysis for 90 days your treatment team may not have determined your true dry weight as yet. By all means mention this to your team at the center. Be patient your body is going through a a terrific adjustment with dialysis. I am not suggesting that this is not uncomfortable to you and that you should expect that this is what you will always feel. What I'm trying to say is that medicine is not an exact science and it tkes time for your team to figure out your speciic needs.

Always, always ask questions. Don't assume anything is normal. We are all individuals who have different experiences.

Best of Luck,

Ladybug14

I get cramps constantly - both on and off dialysis. It has gotten to the point where I feel like it is torture to come here. I have been on dialysis for one year now and have only had a very few treatments where I did not cramp. Also I do not gain very much weight between treatments. Help!

Quote Originally Posted by barman4 View Post
    May be pulling too much fluid off too fast. reduce the fluid that is taken off per hour. Perhaps your dry weight has increased....
    NxStage - Since April - 06
    Facebook: Dialysis Discussion Uncensored

Hi everyone! I am a new member on this site. I am here to meet new people and make friends. Hope I can meet someone here. And I'm willing to share any ideas of any kind of topic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast