Subscribe to this Thread…

Thread: Muscle cramping

Muscle cramping

I am having problems with muscle cramping. Started out usually in the AM hrs before waking up after a dialysis treatment the afternoon before. Last Friday it happened during the last part of the Dialysis and this past Monday it happened really bad the last part of Dialysis. They took too much fluid off this last time as well. I am sure that had something to do with it, but does anyone have any suggestions about muscle cramping after Dialysis in the night?? Tonic water has not helped, nor Icy Hot, nor Freeze Spray. Sure appreciate any help or suggestions.

Re: Muscle cramping

Well, it generally helps me to put weight on my leg. It is usally worst in my thigh and all the way down into my feet. The last time I cramped on the machine, someone cut my time, without changing the fluid pull! I had to stand up, with the needles still in. The cramp went away. They have had to give me saline on the machine, that helps during dialysis. The only things that helps me at home is to put weight on muscle that is cramping and drink some water.

Re: Muscle cramping

Cramping for has always been related to too much water loss due to dialysis. If I use too strong a solution then I tend to dehydrate and suffer from the resultant muscle cramps. The same can happen in hemo dialsis and in fact happenned to me while using that therapy. I would suggest that if you still produce urine and have no obvious edema then its highly likely that you can tell them to reduce the amount of water taken off and control the cramping. For the three month I was on hemo I was a rinse-back which ment on water was taken off.... anyway my experience tells me that it is likely a water issue