Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Puffy Morning Eyes

Hi all, I have been experiencing puffy morning eyes. They get so puffy I can barely see out of them. Then as time goes on they become normal again. However as this change takes place my eyes hurt horribly. Then they hurt throughout the rest of the day, kinda like Iam super tired (which, really I am SUPER tired all the time). I was supposed to go for employment testing today but my bp was 168/118 and there is no way I am driving to that place that is like an hour away with light traffic with that high of bp.

I really think, despite the blood tests saying my kidney function is fine, that my kidneys are affected somehow. I mean why would my bp shoot up higher than it has ever been (besides when I was pregnant 11 years ago) and despite everything the doctors are doing it is not going down. It has almost been 4 weeks. The way it is going it will be a month soon with no relief in sight. I am desperate for an answer to this misery. I just want to live my life. I have to stay in my house, in bed most of the time because my bp will shoot up if I do the slightest things. I am scared to death of a heart attack. My dad felt like he was having acid indigestion all day and kept drinking pepto bismol from morning till about 11:00 pm when he decided to take a shower. He had a massive heart attack in the shower and they could not get him back. He was only 49, I am 44. That was 18 years ago and to this day I do not take a shower, I only take baths. So you see I am scared to death of heart attacks and strokes.

I am also starting to have trouble swallowing which I think is totally weird because I have found nothing on trouble swallowing. If anyone can help please help me. I am so desperate for answers, as you can probably see by how many times I post. Thank you.

Re: Puffy Morning Eyes

I work for an Optomtrist, I can ask him about the puffy eyes.My guess is that he will say you should be seen. Just to make sure that there is nothing going on. Your eyes can tell us when there is something wrong. Our doctors have found kidney problems, diabetes, tumors, cancer, retinopathy, and much more just from a dialated exam.

I would also call you PCP about the trouble swallowing. Likely they too will say you need to come in. Better safe than sorry.

Answers will come as you see these doctors. They need to hear the whole story so they can determine what exactly is going on with you.

Hope this helps. If you don't have a doctor, I recommend seeing a Vision Source Private practice doctor. They tend to be much more agressive in ensuring a thorough exam with good follow-up care.

Irish-

You need to go the doctor now. You should not wait. I don't have any idea if your symptoms have to do with kidney disease or not, and it really doesn't matter.

Blood pressure that high needs to come down, and trouble swallowing is usually indicative that you need to be seen by a medical professional ASAP.

Now- how is it that you know that your BP is shooting up? Are you constantly taking your blood pressure? If so, then this may just be feeding your fear and anxiety, which in turn cranks up your blood pressure.

It sounds like you need some answers. Go back to the doc.

I wish you health and healing.
    Diagnosed Stage 2 CKD (lupus) 1985
    PD March 2009-present
    On Transplant List
    Husband is a match (undecided about that for now)

Hi Okie! Thanks for answering! I appreciate that you will ask your boss about my eyes. That is so nice of you! I will be seeing my nephrologist next week and if he does not have an answer for my eyes I will definitely go to my opthalmologist for them. They have only been like this for about 3 weeks so it is not like I just have puffy eyes in the morning. Something is causing it. Thank you again!

Hi Annie! Thanks for your reply! I will be seeing the nephrologist next week on 9/7 so I will tell him about these issues. I guess I am just the type of person that has trouble waiting for things. It is weird but my trouble swallowing only goes on in the morning. By lunch I can swallow fine. I am just tired of all the weird things going on with me. I was taking my bp all the time and your right my anxiety was probably making it worse. I only take it a few times a day now. Unfortunately it is still really high. Its strange but it is true that humans can get used to any situation after awhile because I am just slowly beginning to accept my high bp and the fact that I may have kidney damage. I have been slowly beginning to do things in my house regardless of the fact that my bp will probably shoot up. I just dont seem to care anymore. I just want to live. While I can. Human nature I suppose! Thanks again!! I hope you get your transplant soon and that you recover fast and live a happy, healthy long life!!!

Just adding my 2 cents here for what it's worth. Even though I had a transplant a few weeks ago, I had a fairly similar type situation about a little over a year ago when I was still on dialysis/PD. My blood pressure had uncontrollably been creeping upwards to what you said yours was and still yet even higher despite being on 6 different BP meds at the time. My eyes would be extremely puffy when I got up in the morning, but through the course of the day they would subside, be sore, but my vision would be ok and the puffyness would return with vengeance the following morning. My case may be totally not what yours is, but what happened ith me was that I had secretly become exremely fluid OVERloaded. I hid a lot of fluid without really looking swollen up until the end of July last summer and thats when It all of a sudden 'exploded' on me with huge ankles and such and nasty BP issues (260/160's) which inevitabily led to me having 2 seizures related to small infarcts I had in the back of my brain. Luckily, once hospitalized they were able to get a ton of fluid off my body and my pressures went down, my brain healed beautifully and no seizures ever since that one episode *knock on wood!* I definitely hope this isn't your situation, but it does show the gravity of it because I just want to make sure you get seen and helped and feel better! I never did have any issues with swallowing however and I agree is something that really must be addressed asap as does the BP issues. Hope things work out and by all means, if things feel worse, call your doctor ASAP/on-call or in all seriousness, goto the ER and let them try to help you and get the ball rolling. In my case, they didn't want to do much other than tweak meds even though I knew my body well enough to know something was happening but they didn't initially listen to me the months before it all happened - trust your body/feelings too and LISTEN to it, you know yourself best. Best wishes!

Talking Re: Puffy Morning Eyes

Hello Nick, Thank you for your very enlightening response. My abdomen has seemed to me to be very bloated lately. My hands actually feel the same way----when I write my hands will start to cramp because it feels like my hand is to "fat" to hold the pen. I also have these puffy little areas around my ankles that when I push on them it literally feels like there is just liquid inside the skin and nothing else. When I am on my feet for a while during the day my feet, ankles and halfway up my legs get swollen and show dents when I push on them.

I know what you mean about knowing your own body and doctors sometimes not catching what is going on with you. I have been feeling really bad for awhile now. I had Epstein Bar Virus and Cytomegalovirus back in 2006 and I was very sick. Since then I have had everything under the sun. Now I have CHRONIC Cytomegalovirus, tons of different herpes type viruses, IBS, Raynauds, Sjogrens Disease, Fibromyalgia, Eczema, I am being tested for Rheumatoid Arthritis on a regular basis and they think I will probably be diagnosed in about 6-9 months with it and I am always sick with UTI's, the flu, stomach viruses and of course intermittent uncontrolled high blood pressure. Oh yeah I also have hypothyroidism, adrenal insufficiency, and a hormonal disorder.

Anyway, I guess my doctors probably think I am the girl who cried wolf when I tell them I feel really bad since I am so sick with so much stuff. But it was the EBV that started it all. Now, I KNOW I have some sort of kidney problem because I have proteinurea 1+, all kinds of kidney disease symptoms(that I did not know were symptoms before I read about them and I still had them) and I have sterile pyuria which is white blood cells in my urine (a very large quantity) with no infection. This has been in 3 tests now. The protein has been in 5 tests now. The ER people are a joke. I went to the ER for high blood pressure and they admitted for a DAY (I went to the ER at 10:30pm and got into my room at 5:15am) and they would test for fluid on my legs and feet, despite the fact that I was laying down. I read that the proper way to test for fluid while laying down is on the back---makes perfect sense, you are laying on your back and that is where the fluid will go. Anyway, I dont know what to do since I have this bad feeling the nephrologist will probably be just as bad. I think if that is the case I will go and see one in Austin since I live only 20 minutes away from there. I am tired of the medical community and their attitudes. My mom is freaking out since I am at CKD stage 2. Everyone (mostly doctors and nurses) say that 2 and 3 are no big deal and they dont worry until you get to 4. Well, if that is the case why do they even have stages 1--3? Does not make a lot of sense does it? My mom said that if THEIR family was in stage 2 they would probably think it was a big deal and she is probably right.

I am sorry that I have gone off on all of this but I am frustrated. My GFR was a 90 in May and suddenly in August it is a 78. Maybe 78% of kidney function sounds fine and dandy to most people on this board but when you think of the big drop plus the fact that I have protein in my urine when most people on this board do not have protein in their urine and I have uncontrolled high blood pressure then people have to realize that something is going on with me. No one ever answered my posts that had to do with my protein, and high bp and I really could have used some advice. I want to thank you though because you really seem like you care a lot. Your post reflects a lot of caring and a very decent human. Thank you for that, I really needed it tonight.

The nephrologist will be able to better answer so many of your questions. May I make some suggestions?
    Write down your questions in a notebook
    Keep a food log / blood pressure log and take these with you
    Take someone with you to the appt. Have that person write down responses from dr
    I have had protien in my urine. It is not something that has been tested since I have been on dialysis. I don't know much about it. During the time I had protien in my urine, the dr mentioned it rather causually. Never made a big deal over it. They did a 24 hour urine and never gave me any results. I figured that "no news is good news."

Hi Puffy Morning Eyes,

When some people have protein in their urine it is an indication to look for some type of kidney disease. That is not always the case. It could show up one month and then gone the next so I would just wait and see what the nephrologist recommends. The amount of spillage in the urine is what matters most. Try to not worry so much. When my husband first started to spill protein we were told not to worry. That was about 20 or so years ago. He did not go to Stage 5 kidney disease until Oct. 2009. With the help of a nutritionist and a good nephrologist he was able to remain off diaysis until now.

However his kidney disease was caused by Uncontrollable High Blood Pressure. That definitely needs to be addressed especially with your dads history of heart disease.
    I would seek medical advice from my Internist as well as nephrologist since you have so many other co-morbidities. With the help of these two professionals you should get the information you need. Sounds also like you are retaining a large amount of fluid. Are you on a LOW - Salt diet? Beware of water retention from salt and salt additives in your diet.
    Most nephrologist are at a wait and see when a patient is Stage 2.

Best of Luck with resolving some of your issues. Write down those questions, it's hard to remember them while in the physicians office.

Ladybug14

Smile Re: Puffy Morning Eyes

Hi Okie and Ladybug, Thanks for answering me. Yes, my appt. is tomorrow and I am so ready for it. This is weird though, after all my worrying I have done, after all my ranting and raving(raving? Did someone say raving? I am soooooo in the mood for a good rave!!!) I am actually not caring very much anymore. We went to a WWII Pacific Island battle re-enactment in Fredricksburg Sat. for my youngest son's b-day and we sat in the hot sun for more than an hour. My back and shoulders were so sunburned. My husband kept worrying about my bp and I just told him to shush cuz the "WWII American and Japanese soldiers were telling us about their guns and it was so interesting--sometimes I AM a good mom for boys!! Anyway, I knew my bp was way up cuz I could feel my face flushed and my temples were puffy, tender and hurt (these are my personal signs of high bp--very embarrassing because my face turns as red as a tomato and my eyes get so blood shot they look like pink eye!). So we had a great time because I was not nervous and freaked. We got back home and sure enough my bp was high but I just took a nap and got over it. Then on Sunday my bp was 157/105 and my husband was freaking out about the systolic and I told him that the diastolic was actually worse and he was still freaking out about the top number. I told him it was no big deal and that I was gonna go do a word search.

My sweet mama showed up today(Monday) and I did not expect her till tomorrow so we were all excited---I did not even get to talk with her cuz my boys were all over her competing for her attention!! Anyway, she asked how my bp was so I went to take it and I was excited because it was 150/100 and she was horrified! She said "your excited about those numbers?" But when you have been going through weeks of numbers closer to emergency situations those are good ones. I showed her my mottled legs, my very bloated stomach, my ankles that were swollen just from walking into and out of a restaurant, and she herself commented on my red face and red eyes. She asked me if I had kept a list of my bp readings and I had to do some quick thinking because I had forgot to do that (just didnt care anymore) and told her I planned to take the numbers off of my bp cuff's memory. She asked if I had written down my questions and she could tell by the look on my face that I hadnt. She was mad at me and asked why I was not taking it seriously and I told her honestly that apparently the doctors do not take it seriously either. I am at stage 2 CKD and the nurse practioner and the dr she works for did not think it important enough to tell me. Plus all you guys on here at stage 3 say that the dr's act like its no big deal (sorry but I think when you are reduced to only 54% kidney function the damn dr.'s should care a LOT!!!!)

Anyway, I am going to check out this school tomorrow where I plan to take classes to become a Medical Assistant. Then they have these community technician classes you can take at Austin Community College and they have a whole unit for hemodialysis. When I get the medical assistant diploma--AAS--I am going to take the hemodialysis courses and try to get on with a dialysis center. I have become very interested in kidneys and the functions they play in the body. I have become extremely interested in CKD and ESRD patients because they seem to suffer so gracefully. I would like to think I could be someone that really cares for them when no one else really seems too. Wish me luck guys. I really, really want to do this. Maybe God is giving me just a little kidney disease so that I can realize a true calling in life, huh? I like to think so Thanks for all of your suggestions they are all greatly appreciated!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast