Subscribe to this Thread…

Thread: CAPD vs. CCPD

CAPD vs. CCPD

Anyone have any thoughts on the pros and cons of CAPD vs. CCPD, or continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis vs. (CCPD) continuous cycling peritoneal dialysis (CAPD).
    More detailed:
    continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis (CAPD)
    The procedure include: patient does not attached to a machine and exchange happens manually with gravity the dialysis; happens continuously: 24 hours a day and 7 days a week with dwell time lasts 3 to 5 hours; there are about 4 exchanges every day, while each exchange takes about 30 mins. [6]

VS.

continuous cycling peritoneal dialysis (CCPD)
    The procedure includes: patients attached to a machine, the “cycler”; the machine accomplishes the exchanges automatically based on pre-programmed settings; patients are attached to the machine during the night when sleeping; automatic exchanges occur over 8 to 10 hours. [7]

Smile Re: CAPD vs. CCPD

I have done both and they are easy enough to do. I found the second one better as you were free in the day time and could get on with work etc. normally. You only had to connect up in the night time so it was all done and finished up when you woke up. The only negative was the chore of cleaning up the bags afterwards. Hope this is helpful
    lupus diagnosed 1988
    Peritoneal Dialysis 1996
    Kidney Transplant 1999
    At present Stage 4 CKD / GFR 20%

Re: CAPD vs. CCPD

I think I prefer the nighttime CCPD as well. I am only concerned that it will take 10 hours and I've never laid in bed 10 hours.

Also, from reading the posts here, I get a feeling that most are going with CAPD.

Wink Re: CAPD vs. CCPD

After I switched from manual to the cycler (CCPD), not only did I find it much more convenient, but I also started feeling a lot better. I think the multiple exchanges over a relatively short time span during the night are more effective. Also, I never miss an exchange on the cycler since it is automatic.

Regarding the 10 hours, I have a recliner and TV in my bedroom and watch TV for a while after I connect before going to sleep. The 10 hours goes by easily. You could also set up to read, work or play on your computer, etc. I requested a long connection so I can walk around easily (20 feet).

With the cycler, I go about my business all day long without any interruptions for exchanges. Many associates or acquintances do not even know that I am on dialysis. I am still working full-time as a Realtor. I was having difficulty working when I was on manual (CAPD).

If you occasionally have a late night or early morning function that prevents you from doing the 10 hours, you can always set a shorter time frame and do a manual exchange during the day to make up for it. Another perk, less often opening for connections means lower risk of infections.