Subscribe to this Thread…

Weight Watchers?

Does anyone here have any experience converting the Weight Watchers plan to a renal diet? I'm considering joining Weight Watchers because it's the only program I've ever had long-term success with. About 7 years ago, I lost 70 pounds on WW, but since then have regained about 20 of it. I desperately need to lose weight - about 150 pounds, in fact. I know it would be the best thing for all my organs even though my kidneys are almost non-functioning at this point.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Cindi
    Glomerulosclerosis of undetermined cause, nephrotic syndrome, stage 5. In-center hemodialysis after failed placement of PD catheter.

“Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - Christopher Robin to Pooh

Re: Weight Watchers?

Hey there!

I have done WW and the pre-dialysis renal diet. It was a bit of a juggling act, but it can be done. Are you pre dialysis, or on dialysis currently?

That makes a difference, I think. I think it is much easier to do WW once you have begun dialysis.

You do need to be very well versed in nutrition information, and your specific guidelines. Then, you just fit in the WW plan with what you eat.

Also, you will have to listen to a alot of "you should eat a ton of spinach and whole grains...." It is important to remember that for "normal" folks, this is fine. But not for someone on a pre-dialysis renal diet.

I think you should also get your nutritionist on board, so he/she can help you plan and work the WW program.

Any specific questions, feel free to email or PM me.
    Diagnosed Stage 2 CKD (lupus) 1985
    PD March 2009-present
    On Transplant List
    Husband is a match (undecided about that for now)

Thanks, Annie. I am pre-dialysis right now, but am having a peritoneal dialysis catheter placed on Aug. 9. I suspect I'll begin dialysis as soon as my exit site is healed. It's my understanding that the renal diet for PD patients is less restrictive than others, for which I'm thankful. It seems like there just isn't much you can eat on a diet restricted in protein, potassium, sodium and phosphorus. How do you handle your PD diet? How have you found the PD experience in general?
    Thanks!
    Glomerulosclerosis of undetermined cause, nephrotic syndrome, stage 5. In-center hemodialysis after failed placement of PD catheter.

“Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - Christopher Robin to Pooh

Hey WW!

(Duh) I forgot to look at your signature line.

I think that PD is great. My diet is pretty much the opposite of what it was pre-dialysis. Most notable is the total turnaround in the amount of protein I need to eat every day. I think that Weight Watchers is more easily do-able on PD than pre-D. I would check with your nutritionist and doc, though.

I eat pretty much whatever I want to. The key for me is to keep amounts of "restricted" things within limits. My labs are excellent, and I am always satisfied.

I think it is such a shame that most dieticians simply tell patients that they can "never" have a certain food again. Boo.

Anyhow, for me PD has become just another thing I do before bed (I use the cycler). I have travelled all over the country with my cycler, and have had many people over to my home. I think PD is a wonderful treatment option, and I am truly grateful to be able to do it.

Good luck with everything. Let us know how it goes!
    Diagnosed Stage 2 CKD (lupus) 1985
    PD March 2009-present
    On Transplant List
    Husband is a match (undecided about that for now)

WW,
    I am in stage 3 (GFR hovers around 30). Since April 23 I have lost 36 pounds using a modified Weight Watchers program. I omit the things not allowed on the renal diet. I have been inching in fruits and vegetables slowly and have convinced my neph to do a creatinine monthly. That way, should anything change in a negative direction, I can dial back the changes immediately. So far, so good though. I'm taking a 1000 mg Tums with each meal.
    I was driven to Weight Watchers in frustration over the lack of guidance I got from the renal dietitian. WW provided a structure which I can modify as needed. My leader calls me an inspiration (she said, modestly) because I have lost weight without being able to eat a lot of what WW preaches. I don't know about that...I just know it seems to be working.
    Janice