Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question about Phosphates

I don't have a dietician yet and am trying to find out a typical low phosphate amount that I should watch daily in the amounts I eat. I have the sodium, potassium and protein amounts, but can't even find a generic "low phosphate" number. I need something to let me know I am keeping within the right range because I haven't been back to my doctor appointment yet. Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?

How many mg's of phosphates should one have on a low phosphate diet?

Re: Question about Phosphates

Quote Originally Posted by pacificfords View Post
    I don't have a dietician yet and am trying to find out a typical low phosphate amount that I should watch daily in the amounts I eat. I have the sodium, potassium and protein amounts, but can't even find a generic "low phosphate" number. I need something to let me know I am keeping within the right range because I haven't been back to my doctor appointment yet. Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?

Great question!!!!!!!!!

I hate to tell you that my Dr nor my dietician have ever mentioned an amount I can eat/day.
    we've instead discussed eating the foods that on the low to moderate list, and avoiding all those on the "high" list.

Keep in mind that most processed foods are high in phosphorus, so try avoiding processed foods, dairy products, legumes and nuts.

Take care!

Marina
    I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

My amount is about 800 milligrams. This number is based on my height, weight, and protein level. My dietician gave me a food pyramid that can be found at www.CulinaryKidneyCooks.com. She used my numbers to determine the number of servings that I could have at each level. On the back is a great list of foods that we should limit or avoid.

Hi PacificFords - I am in no way an expert on this and the safest thing would be for you to speak to a dietician since one that is given knows your specific case BUT here is the amounts that my husband's dietician put him on :: (he is in failure but not a dialysis patient yet)

Sodium - 2400 mg a day
    Fluid - 1000-1500 ml/day
    Protein - 60 gm/day
    Potassium - 2000 mg/day
    Phosphorus - 800 to 1200 mg/day

Hope this helps in some way
    ~Angel~

When life knocks you to your knees, your in the perfect position to pray

That is super-helpful mrsnights... I am not limited on fluids yet, but all the other numbers look very close to my limits, so that gives me a good idea of what to look for. Thanks so much!!!

your very welcome =)
    ~Angel~

When life knocks you to your knees, your in the perfect position to pray

Can you share with us your figure or the allowable limit on sodium, potassium, and protein? and also what stage is your category? THANKS . . . .

Observer123... I still do not have a dietician. I set my own limits based on my own research.

I stay below these limits:

Sodium: 2000 mg per day
    Potassium: 1200 mg per day
    Phosphates: 800 mg per day
    Protein: 55 mg per day
    Calcium: 2000 mg per day

I do not have to limit fluids yet. I am stage 5.

Observer123... I still do not have a dietician. I set my own limits based on my own research.

I stay below these limits:

Sodium: 2000 mg per day
    Potassium: 1200 mg per day
    Phosphates: 800 mg per day
    Protein: 55 mg per day
    Calcium: 2000 mg per day

I do not have to limit fluids yet. I am stage 5.
    Pacificlords...... thanks so much for the info

A renal diet is not "one size fits all" it's got to be adjusted based on your monthly labs.
    especially dealing with potassium, phosphorus and calcium, it's based on on individual basis.
    I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast