Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Popcorn condiered high in potassium?

My potassium is high at 5.9. I normally cook up with olive oil a cup of popcorn. Reading some sites on potassium and some of the food calculators I think that could be too much K.

Opinions & thoughts?
    Stage 3 (GFR 35) & Diabetes.

Re: Popcorn condiered high in potassium?

Hi TRB, I have been looking for info on popcorn and the Davita site says that popcorn (unsalted) is a healthy snack in the low potassium group. But your potassium is quite high. You would really benefit from seeing a dietician. What does your Dr. say?

Low range potassium--Less than 3.5
    Safe range--3.5 to 5.0
    Unsafe range--5.1 to 6.0
    Dangerous--more than 6.0

Take care and nice to have you back on the site!
    May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
    Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

He put me on Sodium Bicarbonate Friday. I do see a dietitian and she said 3 cups of popcorn should be fine. I leaning toward the switch form Lipitor to Crestor as the reason for my increased level. I see my PCP Tues morning concerning this. Neph said labs again in 3 weeks.

I've those values also. Also seen these but either way I would like to See the K come down some.

•The normal potassium level in the blood is 3.5-5.0 milliEquivalents per liter (mEq/L).

•Potassium levels between 5.1 mEq/L to 6.0 mEq/L are considered to be mild hyperkalemia.

•Potassium levels of 6.1 mEq/L to 7.0 mEq/L are moderate hyperkalemia, and levels above 7 mEq/L reflect severe hyperkalemia.

Normally I read everything I can about drugs I'm taking, but I didn't with my cholesterol meds. I see your stage 3 ---makes me wonder. I read that the warnings include being closely monitored if your stage 4 and 5. I guess we have to weigh the benefits and the risks with these. Well, thats another good reason to improve diet and exercise, although genetics play a role also. I hope that the change in your prescription helps lower the potassium. I like the scale you have better. The numbers I used came off this site.

Good luck. Toni

I was just looking at a copy of my labs.
    according to my lab normal is 3.5-5.1 anything above 5.1 is HIGH
    but of course each lab uses different scales or formulas.
    I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

My lab is high at 5.2. So no doubt at 5.9 I am high. Sure hope the sodium bicarb is working.

Saw my PCP today and he dropped the Crestor and went back to Lipitor. Ordered a few labs himself along with a Kidney ultra sound which I have never had. Oh well the kidneys might be heading south but I'm doing what I can.

PS: Happy B-day!

To all the ones on cholesterol medication I challenge you to be very careful taking those statins. Our bodies make cholesterol for a reason and that is for cell formation and repair. Lowering our cholesterol through statins may lower it too quickly actually causing a heart attack. Both my brother and sister had heart attacks within 6-8 months of taking the statins; and both their doctors agreed that it was lowered way too quickly. Those doctors encouraged my siblings to warn the rest of us not to get on the stuff. For one thing, famial history has to be taken into consideration. Our mother had very high cholesterol (600's) and for me to have 286 is not really too bad, especially when my HDL is climbing higher and higher through a more proper diet. Granted, the 289 needs to be lower but in truth the total cholesterol count is not a very accurate gauge for assessing the heart attack risk.

The reason why our bodies might make cholesterol in abundance is due to chronic inflammation. When we have chronic inflammation (due to being overweight, not eating right and making ourselves too acidic, etc) then the liver makes the cholesterol to send to repair the damage in those weakened areas. Instead of cholesterol being manufactered by the liver, and going throughout the body looking for repair work to do and finding none, it then is recycled back into the liver ready for the next job. When you're liver continues to make more and more cholesterol to do cell repair work, it empties your CoQ enzymes. This is why it's so important to be on that during a chronic inflammation episode.

How to lower the inflammation? Well, losing weight is one. Exercising is another. Reducing stress is another. Not overdoing the alcohol intake. And, not consuming sugar and grains.

If you wish to know where I am getting my information and research from, private message me and I'll share.
    Stage 4 Chronic Kidney Disease, 17% renal function, 11 years
    *Non diabetic *Non dialysis
    High Blood Pressure, controlled

"Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God."
    ~Corrie ten Boom

I Am Blessed, This is the first Ive heard that inflammation has anything to do with cholesterol. You can pm me if you want but I think others would be interested also. What happened with your sister and brother is terrible. Our family has a genetic history of high cholesterol and heart disease. Most of the people are an ideal weight and live a healthy life style. Most of us are on cholesterol meds. There have been no negative consequences. It's been our experience to have cholesterol monitored very closely for the first year after starting any statin drug. I'm wondering if your sister and brother were retested often?

My plan is to talk with my Dr. about statins in relationship to the kidneys. Until TRB brought this up, I had no idea of the impact these drugs can have on the kidneys.

Quote Originally Posted by TRB View Post
    My lab is high at 5.2. So no doubt at 5.9 I am high. Sure hope the sodium bicarb is working.

Saw my PCP today and he dropped the Crestor and went back to Lipitor. Ordered a few labs himself along with a Kidney ultra sound which I have never had. Oh well the kidneys might be heading south but I'm doing what I can.

PS: Happy B-day!
    Tim,

You are working very hard and it will pay off.
    Please do not be discouraged if your labs flactuate, that's very normal.

I just heard that carrots are a natural remedy for cholesterol (they are high in sugar though)

Take care!!
    I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

I'm blessed,

I heard on Dr Oz show something completely diff. than what mentioned.

I'd like to share what was said on Dr Oz' show"

the liver makes bile. The purpose of bile is to break down foods, to make digestion easier. When we don't use all the bile that the liver has made or we skip meals, the extra bile is then turned into cholesterol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast