Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Recent PD Catheter Placement

It's a lot to adjust too, once you get past the deer in the headlights look you'll do great!!! It is like anything else in life there are ups and downs. After Dave having done PD for 1 1/2 years and having a few problems and him becoming uremic and doing hemo for a month I realized how lucky we are to be able to do the PD.

Relax, sit back and go with the flow the best you can, you will settle right into a routine and it just becomes another "chore" you do each day.
    Vicky

Husband, Dave, IgAN end stage
    PD dialysis since March of 2009.

Everyone is right, PD is great. The first few nights on the cycler for me were the most trying. Getting used to that tube in bed with me at night, making sure not to roll over on it and learning how to calmly deal with the alarms when it did happen. Of course there is the period of.. trial and error.. for lack of a better term but regardless don't let any encounter like this sway your decision.

The daily manual exchanges will become cake.
    In training there is a lot to be aware of, and for me that training made me look at everything a bit differently. My advice though, don't let the information overwhelm you. Take as much time as you need in training, and do not feel rushed. You want to be comfortable with the exchanges because as I found out, it feels a lot different when you do it for the first time at home vs. in the center.

Anyhow, I have been on PD for 2 years now..(I started very early, way before I really -needed- to because I was feeling way to fatigued and had lost the ability to concentrate at work) and beside an usual problem I ran into.. everything has gone pretty good. Good Luck
    IgaN Diagnosed March 2006 - Active on transplant Aug 2007 (still waiting) - CCPD 2008
    "Just when a person thinks he knows all the right answers, Someone had to come along with all the wrong questions!" ~Pooh Bear
    - Krystal

Smile Re: Recent PD Catheter Placement

First welcome to the PD family. I am right now towards the end of completion of my 10th year of PD, and I must say after a decade of hemo, and all the issues with my AV Graft, having five grafts in all, and the numerous times to have a angioplasties and angiograms, because of clotting issues and narrowing of the veins, I had no other choice but to transition to PD, and I must admit at first, I wasn't too pleased that I could no longer do hemo, because I had gotten so comfortable with this form of dialysis treament, but like others on this post, the hardest part was the healing process and the restrictions during the healling process, but after I got the hang of the PD therapy, I soon discovered that there were a lot more benefits to being on PD, than hemo, for instance, my renal diet, was a little more liberal, as I could eat way more potassium than on hemo. I do have a struggle with my potassium and protein, because I tend to lose more potassium and protein with every exchange, which makes it difficult for me to eat enough potassium and protein in my diet, but there is a solution to all this, with potassium supplements and some kind of protein drinks, bars, and whey powder, I am able to most of time bring it to at least normal range, that is about the only thing I do have issues with, however, through my ten years of PD, I have had two infections and one that sent me back to hemo temporary, in which, I truly dreaded, because I could no longer have an access put in place, I had to result to my groin, because of all the vein problems I have had in the past with subclavians and numerous catherers in the upper part of my body, causing excessive edema, but that is another story in itself. All in all, I prefer PD over hemo, although I have been living with a umbilicial hernia for the last four years, and I am OK with that, because it doesn't give me any pain or discomfort, and my neph is OK with not having it repaired. PD is more freedom, and you only have to visit the unit once a month, for monthly checkup with your nephrologist. Although PD is better, there are some disadvantage, but minimum compared to Hemo. If you every have any questions about PD, I would be happy to share my experience with you. Hit me up anytime.

Glo

Glo, why are you not getting the umbilical hernia repaired?? I had surgery for the PD cath placement AND hernia repair all at the same time. wasn't too big of a deal. get it fixed so it doesn't cause problems later on !
    CAPD (continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis)
    since 7/13/07 with 4 exchanges a day
    kidney function improved after 2 years
    presently at 2 exchanges a day :-)
    diabetic, not on insulin

Hi all, first I want to thank all of you for your great advise. I will be meeting with the surgeon on Sept. 1st and had no idea what questions to ask as far as getting my cath. I have chose to do CAPD from all the choices I have researched this is the one that seems to be the best for me as I work 40 hrs a week. Because of all of you I now have a list of questions to ask him before he does the surgery. Of course I am scared, and an emotional rollercoaster most of the time. But, after reading the post on here I am feeling less anxious. I am sure my laptop will become my bedside mate as I begin this next chapter in my life. I know you will all be there to comfort me and to answer my many questions to come. Thanks again. D
    "When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive --to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love."

Smile Re: Recent PD Catheter Placement

Quote Originally Posted by patty0805 View Post
    Glo, why are you not getting the umbilical hernia repaired?? I had surgery for the PD cath placement AND hernia repair all at the same time. wasn't too big of a deal. get it fixed so it doesn't cause problems later on !
    Patty, that is not so easy, in my case, I sent you a private message, check out your private messages. It is a little bit of a complicated situation, as to why I haven't, just way too much to go into on this post, but of course, you are concerned and I thank you for your concern. I have such a long history of dialysis, you will understand once you read my private message to you.

Glo

Hi, I just came from the Dr. today and I told him that I want to do the CAPD. My gfr is bouncing between 19-20 this month. I explained to him that I need to be able to go to work as I am a single income household and with the job I do I would be at high risk of someone grabbing my arm if I had a fistula in it. He suggest that I have the fistula put in for just in case my kidneys fail faster than expected. He even seemed upset that I don't want to do that. Has anyone out there had to put in a fistula for "just in case" before going in for PD surgery? How long before I start dialysis would I get the cath for PD? And do you know if they would start me on hemodialysis first then switch me to PD. My dr. also wants to do a CT scan of my stomach and kidneys to make sure they aren't to big for the solution to fit in there. I have PKD and he is concerned about the cyst being to large. I know its a lot of questions, but honestly not as many as I can think of. I need help ASAP as I will be either meeting with the surgeon in a couple of weeks (cause I postponed it until I get back from my vacation, return on Sept. 11.) Any advice is appreciated. Thanks, D
    "When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive --to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love."

hello D interesting that your dr would want the fistula "just in case"...because at my last dr visit (I've been on PD for 3 years, no problems ) HE suggested I get a fistula "just in case" I had problems with PD. sounds like the doctors are pushing for fistulas, what you think? sounds fishy to me.
    after the PD placement, you'll start training , for a week I think. then start PD.
    sorry, I don't know about the scan with PKD, someone else will chime in I'm sure
    best of luck to you!
    CAPD (continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis)
    since 7/13/07 with 4 exchanges a day
    kidney function improved after 2 years
    presently at 2 exchanges a day :-)
    diabetic, not on insulin

I agree that sometimes docs do push for a fistula for the "just in case" scenario.

I don't think it is necessarily out of a desire to rack up more bills, though. I think that these docs have seen many cases where the PD did not work out, and want to have a backup plan.

The thing about the fistula is that it can take months for one to mature and be ready to use. It is not something that can happen quickly, in the event that the PD catheter does not work.

If PD does not work, then a patient is left with the likelihood of needing an emergency dialysis access (often in the chest). Not fun.

So, I think these docs may be coming from a place of "let's make sure all of our bases are covered."

That being said, it is YOUR body, YOUR treatment, and YOUR choice. It can be hard, but if you are able to politely stick to your guns, I think the majority of docs will respond favorably. If your doesn't, or won't listen to you, get a new doc.

Good luck out there!
    Diagnosed Stage 2 CKD (lupus) 1985
    PD March 2009-present
    On Transplant List
    Husband is a match (undecided about that for now)

I agree totally with Annie. I'm on PD 7 mths now and my Dr. never mention putting in a fistula, every Dr. is different I guess. Best of luck and when you start PD let us know how your doing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast