Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drain Pain.

Cool Drain Pain.

I've now been on my second attempt at P.D. for a month. The first attempt was just to painful (initial drain was like the electric chair!), and after x-rays they decided I needed the P.D. placement surgeon to go back in and adjust/re-position it.

The initial drain still sends me through the roof, but I just stand/sit there with my finger on the STOP button...then go to BYPASS.

The problem is that I get woken up at the end of each drain (5 of them for me). I have to sit up and move over to the machine and WAIT TIL IT HURTS TOO BAD, then hit stop/bypass.

Does anyone else have to go through this?

My Dialysis Center is recommending TITLE THERAPY; where it only takes out what it puts in; anyone else on that?

Thanks,

Sore Surfer!

Re: Drain Pain.

My husband is on tidal too. They may have your drain percentage set too high and that is why you are getting the pain.
    Vicky

Husband, Dave, IgAN end stage
    PD dialysis since March of 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by SurferDave View Post
    I've now been on my second attempt at P.D. for a month. The first attempt was just to painful (initial drain was like the electric chair!), and after x-rays they decided I needed the P.D. placement surgeon to go back in and adjust/re-position it.

The initial drain still sends me through the roof, but I just stand/sit there with my finger on the STOP button...then go to BYPASS.

The problem is that I get woken up at the end of each drain (5 of them for me). I have to sit up and move over to the machine and WAIT TIL IT HURTS TOO BAD, then hit stop/bypass.

My Dialysis Center is recommending TITLE THERAPY; where it only takes out what it puts in; anyone else on that?

Thanks,

Sore Surfer!
    Hello Dave!
    I had some pretty intense pain on my drains when I first went on PD, as my catheter got seated, and healed. At times I do still have pain during drains where I have actually bypassed those drains. (You have to be careful doing this, because this can casue an over-fill.) Cramping could be from "positioning" or from being constipated. I sympathise with you about waking up during each of your drains....I had to go through that and it is miserable. I have been very fortunate that PD has worked as well as it has for me. I have done Hemo and prefer PD hands down!!! Hope that you will find some relief!!

Smile Re: Drain Pain.

Quote Originally Posted by SurferDave View Post

Thanks,

Sore Surfer!
    Surfer Dave, When I first started PD cycler back in 2000, I too had issues with pain, and my therapy was changed to tidal, and I haven't had any pain ever since, I am now in my 10th year of PD. I hope your pain issues are resolved real soon.

Take Care
    Glo

Red face Re: Drain Pain.

Hi Dave,
    I am so sorry you are going through the drain pain. I have been on PD for 3 months now, and I have had drain pain that I can say is equal to giving child birth and contractions. I pray you find some ease eventually. I am finally not as sensitive, as of two weeks ago. Yes, there is still discomfort, but not sending me crying and through the roof all night long like it was.
    I found that If I move around more during the day, start my treatment earlier in the night, that I am not as dry and the pain is less. I also found laying on my right side while draining brings some ease to the discomfort. (you may have to try the left side, depending on the position of your tube). Also, I was being too cautious of my fluids and was too dry over all. Now that does not mean go and drink a lot, but you might be more conscious of times that it hurts less as to what your intake is, and also what your exercise is. I can not exercise due to other problems, but I am moving around a lot more and I think it helps move the fluid out of my system into the peritoneal cavity easier.
    Some times laying flat on the bed while draining helps as well. I also have problems when I fill each time. Laying on my side eases that for me some. You may be hyper sensitive like I am and it will take a little while to adjust. I wish you the best and let me know how it works out for you.. Try not to give up, as I think this is the best way to do dialysis, at least for me.
    God Bless,
    Always,
    Christine (snitzchris)

Another thing I wanted to ad to my earlier reply to you, was that I am on the title therapy. I had a dry day....(no day fill) up until about a year ago. So my initial drain was trying to pull fluid off that was not there...and that is when it started cramping, and I would bypass the drain.
    My hope his that your pain will lessen with time. God Bless!

I have been on PD for 4 mths now, 3 on the cycler and I had quite a bit of drain pain for the first couple of weeks but it is only occasional now. I have to change positions sometimes and find a place that works but I usually sleep through the night and maybe wake up just once. I hope it will get better for you too. Good luck, I love PD now.

HI
    I have been on CCPD for three years. In the first few months I was constantly plauged by severe drain pain. I even thought maybe I couldn't do it. Then they put me on a tidal program and the pain became more managable, eventually going away. Now I very rarely have any drain pain.
    Scout

Cool Re: Drain Pain.

i had 2 pd cath 1st one lasted for about 8 wks before it caught up in the omentum so i had exploritory surgery. it would take in fluid or come out it was great @1st worked very well. by the time they got in there it was bad case of peritonitis. and infection, they repositon it and well it also was the same after only 7 days and now with a strep infection so they went in and put a 2nd one in. lower and to the right and sure enough with in a wk everything had come back. in spades. so they finally took it out for a yr then i can try again if i want. i have known people who have done it for 10+ yrs check with ur doc to make sure its drain pain and not an infection hope all gets better for u deb: cool:

Thanks for the reply; I think the hyper-sensitivity might be my problem. It's a little alienating when I try to tell the Nephr/Dr. about these things because I always hear that "...nobody has ever complained as much as you..." stuff and how everyone else is "doing just fine".

Thanks again for the the suggestions, Dave.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast