Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Phosphorus Challenge and Your Input

Hi Everyone,

Now that the DaVita Phosphorus Challenge is here I am interested in hearing from you about your experience with the challenge. Which challenges are your favorites? Which games are the most fun? most educational? most challenging?

Also, what are your suggestions for making the DaVita Phosphorus Challenge even better?

Coming soon to the DaVita Phosphorus Challenge: Food Analyzer so you can look up the phosphorus content of foods you eat.

Thanks,
    DaVita Dietitian Sara

Re: Phosphorus Challenge and Your Input

For those who don't know about it, here is the link:

http://www.davita.com/phosphoruschallenge/

I still miss how Foresnol used to have an interactive lesson on what phosphorus has to do with Calcium and PTH (and it was a free flash video to view too. Didn't need to sign up). Still, I think some will like the games and how they educate. I do like all the informative .pdf files though! Too bad you need to sign up just to view them though.

I did notice a forum separate from these ones there. I was surprised about that. Then when I clicked on it I noticed it was linked to the http://www.davita.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=84 section. Clever
    Angie
    Kidney Korner Dialysis Ethics Forum Kidney Pix Awareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
    I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011

• Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
    • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
    • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

Post Re: Phosphorus Challenge and Your Input

sara, i am trying to find out how to provide relief to my husband with the insatiable "itch" he is experiencing. i was going to try your phosphorus challange game but i am pressed for time and am not even sure if that is the type of info you would give (i had read that it is the phosphorus that is causing his itchyness). his phosporus blood level is 5.1 as of last week. this is high but it has been higher. we are trying to get him a transplant without having to go on dialysis. his creatine level is 7.4 (it too has been higher). i use your recipes to control his diet, it has been a god send. please help direct me to where i need to go to find out how to help him with this itch, which i think is "Pruritus". will capsaicin help?? and if so, will it hurt his kidney,it will make it worse? PLEASE HELP..

Personally a little disappointed. The "Challenge" or Game concept wears a little thin...when time is of the essence..I merely want the "facts" & skip the frivoility..just my opinion. Plus the fact signing in to view is a bit tediious. Informative thought & that's most important!

Stage 3/4....dx 07/09...20 year veteran Type 2 Diabetic (insulin dependent)..that would be ME
    Pre-D..current gfr 27

Lightbulb Re: Phosphorus Challenge and Your Input

The games seem better for teenagers more than adults who actually want straight forward information honestly. It seems only geared toward one target type.

An interactive Flash video with clickable things would be better explaining the role of everything to do with phosphorus and how it all connects to each other and why everything is so important (like Why does the skin get itchy? Why do my bones hurt? What do Phosphate binders actually do for the body? etc).
    Angie
    Kidney Korner Dialysis Ethics Forum Kidney Pix Awareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
    I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011

• Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
    • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
    • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

Quote Originally Posted by garysine View Post
    sara, i am trying to find out how to provide relief to my husband with the insatiable "itch" he is experiencing. i was going to try your phosphorus challange game but i am pressed for time and am not even sure if that is the type of info you would give (i had read that it is the phosphorus that is causing his itchyness). his phosporus blood level is 5.1 as of last week. this is high but it has been higher. we are trying to get him a transplant without having to go on dialysis. his creatine level is 7.4 (it too has been higher). i use your recipes to control his diet, it has been a god send. please help direct me to where i need to go to find out how to help him with this itch, which i think is "Pruritus". will capsaicin help?? and if so, will it hurt his kidney,it will make it worse? PLEASE HELP..
    Hi Garysine,
    Lowering his phosphorus to a normal range for non-dialysis CKD patients (2.7-4.6) may help with the itch. It's also possible that the accumulation of other waste products in the body is making him itch. It's a symptom of uremia and often goes hand in hand with increased BUN (blood ureas nitrogen) levels.

From a diet standpoint, stick with the low phosphorus and the protein level prescribed. Be sure at least half the allowed protein is from complete high biological sources like meat, egg, poultry, fish and seafood as opposed to grains, beans, nuts and dairy sources, all being higher in phosphorus.

Capsaicin is a topical product that may provide temporary relief. Moisturizing lotions or creams may also provide temporary releif. It the itching is from high phosphorus or from waste products it may continue until the blood levels are brought to normal by diet, phosphorus binders and if needed, dialysis.

Thanks Feelinlost and Angie.
    Your input is very valuable and I appreciate the honest feedback which will be used to make the challenge even better. I think the Games tend to overshadow the Education section, where you can find more direct information from the articles and downloadable resources.

I also find that some people really like learning from games and repetition but others don't have the time for that type of learning and prefer a written or readable resource.
    Thanks,
    Sara

Smile Re: Phosphorus Challenge and Your Input

In my opinion, I don't think that this challenge shouldn't just focus on the phosphorus intake of the renal diet, but to also include the relation to Calciuim as well as PTH (Parathyroid Hormone). These two minerals go hand in hand, with the PTH levels, to keep the bones healthy. Because of course, when the phosphorus becomes too high, it disturbs the balance of the phosphorus and the calcium, and the body will sense this imbalance, and that is when the Parathyroid gland in the neck, will send a message to take calcium from the bones, which can eventually cause the bones to become very brittle, and that means that too much calcium has been removed from the bones, resulting in renal bone disease, and calcification in soft tissues, (the heart and lungs). It is important to know that the Phosphorus, Calcium and PTH go hand in hand, you have to keep them all happy at the same time. This challenge does teaches you to the low, moderate and high phosphorus content of foods, but don't leave out the Calcium and PTH.

Glo

I agree, if your going to teach about phosphorous it would be best to cover all that is involved so that patients get the full picture. Just because it is complicated doesn't mean patients can't understand the information. At what age level is this information designed to reach?

Ladybug14

Thanks for your input Glo and Ladybug 14.

I agree--there's so much more to learn about than phosphorus. As we continue to make enhancements we will include more information on calcium, PTH and vitamin D and the aspects of bone and mineral metabolism.

Thank you!
    DaVita Dietitian Sara

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast