Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question Confused by the GFR lab results

Just got lab results and I wonder if anyone can tell me more about the GFR results. My GFR-Black is 52 and GFR-Other is 43. Do you add the GFR Black and GRF -Other to get a total GFR?

My Creatinine is 1.24. Just went to my Nephrologist (2nd visit) she said my kidneys are at 40% and I am Stage 3 CKD. This is the same thing I was told 2 months ago at my 1st appointment. I guess it's good that nothing has changed in two months. I asked about a diet, was told the only thing I should do is limit my salt. I feel that I should have more diet restrictions other than salt.

I guess I'm trying to figure out if I need another doctor or if I really can't do much else at this stage. (I have been told that I will not get better).

Re: Confused by the GFR lab results

My lab results have an African/American GFR and just a regular GFR. I wonder if the GFR Black is refering to race? I just go by the one GFR / regular. My GFR is currently 27. When I was at stage 3, the only thing I watched was my sodium intake. I didn't have any diet restrictions at that point. I am now at stage 4 and feeling as though I could do more with my diet. I am finding a new Dr. because I want to be pro-active, and he is coming across as just "sit and wait".

My creatine stayed around 1.7 for about 3 years. My creatine just went up this last year to 2.06. I have PKD (Polycystic Kidney Disease) and I won't get any better either, but I do think that we can do things to prolong our kidney health and make it easier for our kidneys to fuction. For me, I have to find a Dr. that will help me do that. I hope your Dr. will help you accomplish that also.

Until then, I love the people here on this site. There is good input from a lot of sources. Because of this site, I feel that i have been empowered to ask the questions that need to be asked and have the knowlege to keep moving forward. I pray you will be able to find that also!

Hang in there and definatley let me know what you learn as you go!

Kelly

Wink Re: Confused by the GFR lab results

Quote Originally Posted by aatatt71 View Post
    Just got lab results and I wonder if anyone can tell me more about the GFR results. My GFR-Black is 52 and GFR-Other is 43. Do you add the GFR Black and GRF -Other to get a total GFR?

My Creatinine is 1.24. Just went to my Nephrologist (2nd visit) she said my kidneys are at 40% and I am Stage 3 CKD. This is the same thing I was told 2 months ago at my 1st appointment. I guess it's good that nothing has changed in two months. I asked about a diet, was told the only thing I should do is limit my salt. I feel that I should have more diet restrictions other than salt.

I guess I'm trying to figure out if I need another doctor or if I really can't do much else at this stage. (I have been told that I will not get better).
    I was put on a kidney diet at the mayo clinic in MN. Check out their website. It does make a difference on what you eat.

Wink Re: Confused by the GFR lab results

I was put on a kidney diet at the mayo clinic in MN. Check their website. It does make a difference. It does with me.

Quote Originally Posted by cathys View Post
    I was put on a kidney diet at the mayo clinic in MN. Check out their website. It does make a difference on what you eat.
    I cant believe with a creatinine level of 1.24 you are that bad. Your GFR has to be higher than what your doc says. I am by no means a doctor, but something does not seem right here.

Quote Originally Posted by movingforward View Post
    My lab results have an African/American GFR and just a regular GFR. I wonder if the GFR Black is refering to race? I just go by the one GFR / regular. Kelly
    Yes Kelly, the African American GFR is referring to the race.
    I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Alll the calculators have a GFR for African Americans and a GFR for other races. I have often wondered why. It would be nice to hear from anyone who can answer that.

I agree with you about the diet. I'm at stage 3 and would like to be more proactive with a diet. My Neph. says to limit salt and eat a low fat sensible diet. He does not refer paients to a dietician till they reach stage 4. I don't feel that it is healthy to venture into a renal diet without knowing different blood levels. I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Gary-- I think aataa71's GFR is correct. My creatinine is 1.2 and my GFR is 49. Some calculators factor in weight, BUN, and whether theres damage to the kidneys or not.

Toni

Quote Originally Posted by Tonia View Post
    Alll the calculators have a GFR for African Americans and a GFR for other races. I have often wondered why. It would be nice to hear from anyone who can answer that.

I agree with you about the diet. I'm at stage 3 and would like to be more proactive with a diet. My Neph. says to limit salt and eat a low fat sensible diet. He does not refer paients to a dietician till they reach stage 4. I don't feel that it is healthy to venture into a renal diet without knowing different blood levels. I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Gary-- I think aataa71's GFR is correct. My creatinine is 1.2 and my GFR is 49. Some calculators factor in weight, BUN, and whether theres damage to the kidneys or not.

Toni
    Try this calculator, it asks for more info--http://www.medcalc.com/gfr.html.

Toni

The MDRD study equation includes a term for the African American race to account for the
    fact that African Americans have a higher GFR than Caucasians (and other races included in the
    MDRD Study) at the same level of serum creatinine. This is due to higher average muscle mass
    and creatinine generation rate in African Americans. Clinical laboratories may not collect data
    on race and therefore may report GFR estimates using the equation for Caucasians. For African
    Americans, multiply the GFR estimate for Caucasians by 1.21. cited below

http://www.kidney.org/professionals/kls/pdf/faq_gfr.pdf[/I][/B][/B]

Toni
    Yeah as Gary said some races have a higher occurrence of kidney disease than others which directly effects the GFR. He explained it better than me however but I just wanted to make sure you knew why it was important for the GFR calculators to ask for race.

Test it out by putting in a different race and you will see you get a different result.
    Angie
    Kidney Korner Dialysis Ethics Forum Kidney Pix Awareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
    I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011

• Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
    • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
    • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast