Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

colonoscopy and kidney disease?

Curious if anyone has heard that certain "preps" for a colonoscopy can damaged the kidneys. My kidney function was normal prior to this procedure. One month later I was stage 3
    My prep medication was on the safe list I'm still skeptical. I have to have another colonosopy at the end of the year and truthfully, I'm scared..

Re: colonoscopy and kidney disease?

You mentioned your prep medication was safe , can you please tell me what was the name of it because I too need to have a colonoscopy very soon and I am also afraid of the prep med that they give you. Of course they stopped using the fleet which is very damaging to the kidneys , is there really any safe med that they use nowdays that will not harm the kidneys??
    I am stage 3 as well and I am being very careful
    Any information of this will be greatly appreciated.

I used Osmocote in pill form. The colonoscopy is done so much these days the meds. are considered safe.

I wish there was another way of checking out the bowel just because of how awful the prep is. I'm going to talk to my Dr.s about my concerns. If you find out anything, please let me know.

Thanks

A correction in the name of the pills I used. It was OsmoPrep. I just got done reading about it and there are documented cases of people having kidney problems with phosphates such as OsmoPrep. Will not use this again.

Thank you Tonia, when the time comes for my colonoscopy I will make sure whatever they give me is safe for the kidneys. I had one 10 years ago and I cant believe they gave me those horrible fleet phospates but at the time I did not have kidney disease and I had never heard about how damaging the fleet was

Now ten years later its time for another one and I am very worried about the preparation but I will make sure they know what they are giving me and research

Thank you again

Hi. I need to go for a colonoscopy in the next few weeks. I am on dialysis and want to find something NATURAL to use as a laxative in order to prepare for the procedure. My doctor suggested "GoLightly" but I am hesitant to use ANYTHING that is not herbal and safe, too. Has anyone here successfully used a natural product for this procedure? I would really appreciate some advice on this. Thank you!

I was scheduled for a colonoscopy also, a few months ago and the doctor told me its completely safe to use GoLightly , I am stage 3 CKD.
    I was nervous and decided not to have it done.....but I am due for a colonoscopy since I had one about 10 years ago

I thought maybe I could research and find something better or safer
    I am still looking !!!!!!!!!
    Any suggestions??

Thank you

Thanks for your response. Yes, I too would prefer something safer and more natural...I just don't trust these products....I have some kidney function, even on dialysis, and want to keep that and not harm myself in any way. Not worth taking a chance. If you find anything, I would love to know. I am also looking...I am considering a cleanse with bentonite clay (liquid.) I've used it many times before, when I didn't have kidney failure...I will check with my renal nutritionist...the clay helps clean out the colon.

I just finished listening in a a NKF coffeehouse conversations http://www.kidney.org/coffeehouse/
    The topic of the drugs used to prep for colonoscopy came up. Yes the drugs do affect the kidneys Dr.Lynda A. Szczech, MD, MSCE (guest speaker) confirmed.
    She suggested anytime you're given new meds, specially one to prep for a colonoscopy always remind the Dr (even if it's your Neph) about your kidney disease and ask "Is this med kidney friendly?"
    I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Marina, Did the program say that All prep drugs can adversely affect the kidneys?

FMBK It seems to me that even a natural product would involve a risk to the kidneys. The procedure requires complete cleansing which must be hard on the kidneys no matter what you use. I am going to make it very clear to my GI Dr. about my concerns. I have managed to put off another colonoscopy for over a yr. now just because I'm scared of what happened before. I have to do it it Dec.
    I have not heard of the prep GoLightly. (name makes me laugh) Is this in pill form or liquid? If anyone hears about a safer prep med. please let us know.
    May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
    Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast