Subscribe to this Thread…

confused between eGFR and GFR reading

I've just been diagnosed with ckd (stage 2). Since February of 2009 I have been having bloodwork done almost every 6 weeks or so until this past October. My eGFR has averaged around 48 (got as low as 40 in October). Creatinine levels have averaged 1.20; BUN 35. My primary doctor wasn't too concerned since my levels had "stabilized" over time. However, in early November I came down with shingles, had more bloodwork done and that's when eGFR was 40. Primary doctor then referred me to nephrologist. My first visit with this doctor was in January 2010. I had extensive bloodwork done then, 24-hour urine collection and ultrasound of kidneys. The results came back with creatinine at 1.19; BUN at 31 and eGFR at 47; both kidneys smaller than normal but no scarring, etc. My nephrologist was very pleased with my readings; said my GFR is 70 (not in ckd stage 3 but stage 2). I was elated, but a little confused that the eGFR can be so much more lower than the calculated GFR. My ckd is caused from high blood pressure (I've been on blood pressure medicine since 1993 and have strong family history of hbp). I guess I'm just wondering how many people out there have had fairly low eGFR readings and then after extensive testing, end up with a much higher reading? My nephrologist didn't take the time to explain this to me. I was given some information on new diet change (low sodium, low protein diet) and then he said "See you in October!" Sorry for long post; I'm new at this.

Lightbulb Re: confused between eGFR and GFR reading

Quote Originally Posted by NBGal View Post
    I've just been diagnosed with ckd (stage 2). Since February of 2009 I have been having bloodwork done almost every 6 weeks or so until this past October. My eGFR has averaged around 48 (got as low as 40 in October). Creatinine levels have averaged 1.20; BUN 35. My primary doctor wasn't too concerned since my levels had "stabilized" over time. However, in early November I came down with shingles, had more bloodwork done and that's when eGFR was 40. Primary doctor then referred me to nephrologist. My first visit with this doctor was in January 2010. I had extensive bloodwork done then, 24-hour urine collection and ultrasound of kidneys. The results came back with creatinine at 1.19; BUN at 31 and eGFR at 47; both kidneys smaller than normal but no scarring, etc. My nephrologist was very pleased with my readings; said my GFR is 70 (not in ckd stage 3 but stage 2). I was elated, but a little confused that the eGFR can be so much more lower than the calculated GFR. My ckd is caused from high blood pressure (I've been on blood pressure medicine since 1993 and have strong family history of hbp). I guess I'm just wondering how many people out there have had fairly low eGFR readings and then after extensive testing, end up with a much higher reading? My nephrologist didn't take the time to explain this to me. I was given some information on new diet change (low sodium, low protein diet) and then he said "See you in October!" Sorry for long post; I'm new at this.
    Well the way you describe eGFR would not be the same as GFR but as far as I know eGFR is the same as GFR so I wonder if you are thinking about something else. Because GFR goes down with kidney disease and when it gets lower than 10 you need dialysis. So maybe I just don't know what eGFR is after all ...

http://www.davita.com/gfr-calculator/
    Angie
    Kidney Korner Dialysis Ethics Forum Kidney Pix Awareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
    I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011

• Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
    • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
    • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

Re: confused between eGFR and GFR reading

Thanks for your reply. I was told (and, again, I could be totally incorrect!) that the "eGFR" is just an estimated calculation of how one's kidneys are functioning. Whereas, the "GFR" is the true reading of what level your kidneys are functioning. I believe the calculations are somewhat different for "eGFR" and "GFR" (example: 24-hour urine test results are included in calculating GFR; not eGFR). Hopefully, someone will write in with a more thorough explanation.
    Hope you have an enjoyable Friday!
    NBGal

Re: confused between eGFR and GFR reading

Quote Originally Posted by NBGal View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I was told (and, again, I could be totally incorrect!) that the "eGFR" is just an estimated calculation of how one's kidneys are functioning. Whereas, the "GFR" is the true reading of what level your kidneys are functioning. I believe the calculations are somewhat different for "eGFR" and "GFR" (example: 24-hour urine test results are included in calculating GFR; not eGFR). Hopefully, someone will write in with a more thorough explanation.
    Hope you have an enjoyable Friday!
    NBGal
    Yeah that is correct. I just looked it up today and it does stand for estimated. I helped a girl in Australia who was trying to compare against American numbers and through that I discovered that eGFR comes out a little different than GFR yet are quite similar in resulting numbers.

http://www.clinicalchemistry.on.ca/eGFR.htm#Estimation

http://www.kidneyspace.com/index.php...17641#msg17641

http://www.kidneyspace.com/index.php?topic=2475.0
    Angie
    Kidney Korner Dialysis Ethics Forum Kidney Pix Awareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
    I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011

• Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
    • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
    • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present