Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Frustrated with extremely high P levels and low protein.

Hey y'all,

My wife has been on CCPD for about 7-8 months now. The big problem right now with her numbers is that het P levels are extremely high. She started with Phoslo, then she tried Renvela for a while but her numbers are still high. Renvela is a powder that you dissolve in a fluid but let me tell ya, this stuff barely dissolves and leaves all the gritty stuff on the bottom of your glass you have to keep stirring. Anyway I do not recommend. Now she is on Calcium Acetate tablets 667 mg. These are tablets that you have to grind to a powder and sprinkle over your food, I hope this will have better results?

We try to stick to all the davita recipes on the site an we barely eat any processed food with high P level. I wonder if anybody has more advice for her(us)?

The other issue is that she has low protein levels and the dietician at the davita clinic keeps telling her to eat a lot of meat. But how much meat can a person eat? We eat meat every day, there must be another source of getting more protein in your diet? I bought whey protein to mix with water and that seems to help a little bit. I have found an article about foods with high protein fvor vegetarians. You can find this here:

http://www.nutralegacy.com/blog/gene...getarian-diet/

Which foods are good for renal patients? Can she have foods with a lot of soybeans since that seems to be high in protein.??? I belive beans are high in phosphorus?

She also is diabetic and has had quintiple bypass surgery in 2007, they also removed her gallblatter.She still has a litl function in her kidneys.She is 42 yrs old.

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated

Ron

Re: Frustrated with extremely high P levels and low protein.

Hi Ron, wow, your wife sure has her work cut out for her, huh. I've been on PD for going on 3 years and am diabetic (no insulin shots ..yet...I work very hard to keep my A1c down low as possible ) anyway, protein, yes that will probably always be a struggle. Adkins has some diabetic friendly protein bars, I haven't personally checked them out as yet, but will get some this week.
    one can of tuna has 40% of your daily serviing of protein :-)

Yeah it is tough, but she needs to lower her level of phosphorus, currently around 10!!.Very dangerous.
    I have just read an article on this site that was interesting:
    http://www.davita.com/diet-and-nutri...festyle/a/2360
    She will probably eat eggwhites but not that much every day

The Atkins protein bars are usually high in phosphorus and some type of nuts what also is a nono.
    I am currently using whey protein powder mixed with water and that helps a bit. Tuna is a great source and she will eat that but not on a regular basis.

We will get to the bottom of this and will keep you posted

Ron

Exclamation Re: Frustrated with extremely high P levels and low protein.

Hey Ron-

Be sure to check with the doc/nutritionist about the whey protein before you use it.

I don't have numbers in front of me, but I am pretty sure whey protein contains a good amount of phosphorous ( in other word, too much for your wife).

Meat and fish are her best options. And, yes, it is a great deal of meat to consume.

I hope you all figure things out. You are a great partner to be involved in her care like you are.

Be well.

OK- I just checked online, and it appears that phos levels vary greatly with these products.

So, I would just advise you all to be sure you are reading the labels and consulting the nutritionist.

Take care!

Hi Annie, I eat very little meat and my albumin (protein) is at 4.2
    ya just gotta get creative :-)

Good point, Patty!

Me, too. I kind of got turned off the red meat during my pre-D diet days. I think I was mainly responding to the idea of the amount of protein in a given amount of meat.

I agree that creativity and information is one of the most important aspects of dealing with the limitations we have.

As I have said on other threads, I eat pretty much all the "no-no" foods. I just do so with information, planning, and consultation with my doc/nutritionist.

My numbers are also good

Good luck to everyone!

Smile Re: Frustrated with extremely high P levels and low protein.

Quote Originally Posted by ronaundi View Post
    Hey y'all,

My wife has been on CCPD for about 7-8 months now. The big problem right now with her numbers is that het P levels are extremely high. She started with Phoslo, then she tried Renvela for a while but her numbers are still high. Renvela is a powder that you dissolve in a fluid but let me tell ya, this stuff barely dissolves and leaves all the gritty stuff on the bottom of your glass you have to keep stirring. Anyway I do not recommend. Now she is on Calcium Acetate tablets 667 mg. These are tablets that you have to grind to a powder and sprinkle over your food, I hope this will have better results?

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated

Ron
    Hi Ron,

I use phoslo capsules. I prefer the tablets but they're no longer available in my area.
    FYI phoslo 667mg and calcium acetate 667 is the exact same product. Phoslo is the brand name. The tablets are to be taken whole, whether before, in the middle or right after the meal, whichever her Dr/dietitian have recommended. I take my phoslo 667mg (oh wait this last time I refilled my RX they gave me the generic form which is calcium acetate 667mg) so I take my calcium acetate after I finish eating.
    If you're not familiar which food contain phosphorus, you can order a nutrition counter wallet size (free) from
    http://www.aakp.org/brochures/nutrition-counter/ or you can download it and print it too.

Quote Originally Posted by ronaundi View Post
    The other issue is that she has low protein levels and the dietician at the davita clinic keeps telling her to eat a lot of meat. But how much meat can a person eat? We eat meat every day, there must be another source of getting more protein in your diet? I bought whey protein to mix with water and that seems to help a little bit. I have found an article about foods with high protein fvor vegetarians. You can find this here:

Which foods are good for renal patients? Can she have foods with a lot of soybeans since that seems to be high in protein.??? I belive beans are high in phosphorus?

She also is diabetic and has had quintiple bypass surgery in 2007, they also removed her gallblatter.She still has a litl function in her kidneys.She is 42 yrs old.
    For protein intake, be careful with whey protein, as far as I know it's loaded with phosphorus.
    I tried something called Hormel propass protein powder
    http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/sh...ump&navCount=3

Personally I didn't care for the after taste of the protein powder. My nurse suggested I drink a "glucerna shake" it's available at most drug/grocery stores.
    I also tried something called isopure zero calories
    http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp...LAID=293851880 it's available at some healthfood stores as well as a "muscle max" store. At muscle max (local stores not on-line) you can buy it by the bottle see if your wife likes it intead of buying it by the case like on the like above. Unfortunately I didn't like the taste. They do have 4 or 5 different flavors.
    I mostly use "balance bars" I like mocha chip and peanut butter flavors, but they aren't sugar free. Balance bars have 15g of protein but 21g Carbs. If you'd like a list of the flavors allowed in a renal diet PM me.

You're right soybeans are loaded with protein and phosphorus just like any other beans.

Hope this helps your wife

Take care,

Marina
    I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Hello. We too have had problems with high P and low protein. The protein problem not
    only is due to ckd but also have a large leg ulcer that is now healing.
    First the high P. Phos is in many things. Talk to your dietician, they can give you handouts telling you what foods are low in phos. Most dairy products are high in phos.
    The AAKP (american association of kidney patients) have handouts and a handy little thing that has all the nutrients of verious foods. Another source is the usda/ars nutrition
    site, the sr21 program, where you can enter in a food and it will spit out all the info on it.
    Also talk to the ditician/doctor and find out what your target/limit is for phos. Ours is
    2000 mg.
    Binders. Phos lo is made by frenius and is a capsule, the active ingredient is calicum aceate, there is also a generic, made by roxanne. The capsules are to be swallowed, unless otherwise directed by your doctor. A simple binder used years ago was calicum carbonate (tums), but any changes need to be ok'd by the doctor.
    The protein. there are many products. There is a powder made by resource which is
    whey protein. There is another product called beneprotein, which is only 1 to 2 ounces, 300 calories and about 15 g of protein. There is also a product called pro-stat which has about 15 g of protein in 1 oz of liquid, with very little sugar added. Then is also protinex and several others. Another product is called nepro, which is made by abbot, which is for dialysis patients. Also, we have found a protein bar "pure protein" made sure it is the s'mores one, it has 19g of protein, 130 mg sodium, 2 g sugar, 20 mg potassium and 4 % phos (dv). Our dietician has "cleared" it for us. It is available at wal-mart.
    Also you can make meat salad sandwiches as snacks or egg salad sand for a snack.
    Good luck !!

I too have had problems with high P. and a bad side effect is that I will be come itchy. It's not pleasant and I know that in the past it is because I ate nuts ( i love almonds & pistachios) So, this last time I over did it and of course my P is high 7 and I have been working hard to get it down but I still feel itchy and miserable.

One thing I did do is go on this site clicked on the tools link and put in all the food I eat in the food analizer. It showed me how much P is in all the food we eat. So I made a log of them and keep it on my fridge.

Good Luck I hope your wife get's her P down too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast