Subscribe to this Thread…

can person on dialysis eat queso fresco (mexican cheese)?

my mom is on dialysis, can she eat queso fresco, a mexican cheese? i was just wondering b/c i read that some cream cheese was allowed and queso fresco is also soft, not creamy but soft.

if not queso fresco, does anyone know of any other cheeses or something that tastes like it?

also, why is cheese not allowed?

ok, thank you for all the help.

Re: can person on dialysis eat queso fresco (mexican cheese)?

Hey there.

Your mother's dietician will have more information and materials, but here is a link to the USDA Nutrient Database.

It will give you information about the nutrient content of almost any food.

I looked up Queso anejo (not the same as fresco, I know, but it was what I found), and it looks like there is about

586mg of Phosporous in 1 cup.

As for how much Phosphorous your mom can have, that information has been provided to her at some point (or should have been) by her nephrologist or nutritionist/dietician. I am supposed to keep my phos. consumption less than 800mg /day.

Basically, most pre-dialysis and dialysis patients are told to keep phosphorous to as little as possible. It can build up in the system and cause nasty problems, including itching- and we're talking EPIC itching here-, calcification of bones, and eyesight problems.

All nutrition suggestions given to kidney patients are very important to follow. I would suggest going with your mom the next time she has an appointment, It will help you help her.

Also, take a look around the Davita site. There are many useful menu planning tools and informational articles that will help you better understand your mom's needs.

Good luck!

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

Queso fresco is a mexican soft cheese made that is not pasteurized. As a result, it poses a heightened risk of illness for pregnant women. The reason, of course, is that the lack of pasteurization means that the product is subjected to no kill step that will eradicate any viable bacterial contamination on the product.
    AMazing testking SSCP information
    testking 000-002 really nice
    testking 000-085 you can check
    testking 000-104

Hello!Thank God I found out Annie.She is so very professional when it comes to advices and giving information regarding this topic discussion.Though I didn't try the taste of Mexican Cheese now I'm gonna be aware to place my tounge whether it is safe or applicable to our health.

make money online

I have been eating mexican cheese (fresco and aged) and for some reason it doens't raise my phos as much as cheddar or mozzarella.

Of course before I would not recommend eating it without first checking with nutritionist.
    I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

I agree with you, Marina.

Actually, I pretty much eat whatever I fancy (although I had to cut down on the raw sushi).

HOWEVER, I do so with the understanding of what nutrients I am consuming, as well as what my personal limits are.

So, this sometimes translates into having one bite (ugh, I know) of the chocolate cake the hubs is eating. Or, drinking only a few sips of wine.

So, no. I can't pig out on huge chunks of cheese any more. But I can certainly have one or two slices of some super duper fancy cheese plate at a restaurant (and I appreciate it so much more now).
    Diagnosed Stage 2 CKD (lupus) 1985
    PD March 2009-present
    On Transplant List
    Husband is a match (undecided about that for now)

my mom is on dialysis, can she eat queso fresco, a mexican cheese? i was just wondering b/c i read that some cream cheese was allowed and queso fresco is also soft, not creamy but soft.
    information testking SY0-201 information
    testking VCP-410 graet
    testking XK0-002 a lot
    testking

The consitency of queso fresco and cream cheese is a little different, but like I mentioned in a post above, queso fresco doesn't raise my phos levels very much.
    It might be due to the fact that it's not a very "processed cheese" like cheddar and mozzarella.
    I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!