Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Low Potassium Diet

Hello, I was diagnosed with Stage 4 CKD and was told that I must follow a low potassium diet. My doctor said that dialysis is not an option for me. This web site is very helpful but because I am new to this I would like to know if instant Mashed Potatoes are considered a low potassium food item. Thanks

Re: Low Potassium Diet

I have been on a renal diet for 2 years and I have a daughter that cant eat wheat so I guess you can say is that im on 2 diets it stinks

Smile Re: Low Potassium Diet

Quote Originally Posted by helenv49 View Post
    Hello, I was diagnosed with Stage 4 CKD and was told that I must follow a low potassium diet. My doctor said that dialysis is not an option for me. This web site is very helpful but because I am new to this I would like to know if instant Mashed Potatoes are considered a low potassium food item. Thanks
    Hello helen, I am curious, why did your neph say that dialysis is not an option for you, do you have to directly have a transplant? As long as I have been on dialysis, I have never heard anything like that, you must have a rare issue as to why.

Glo

Question Re: Low Potassium Diet

Quote Originally Posted by kbzurek View Post
    I have been on a renal diet for 2 years and I have a daughter that cant eat wheat so I guess you can say is that im on 2 diets it stinks
    Well Wheat is high in phosphate so really that is kinda a renal diet already so wouldn't that still be one diet?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmoore View Post
    Hello helen, I am curious, why did your neph say that dialysis is not an option for you, do you have to directly have a transplant? As long as I have been on dialysis, I have never heard anything like that, you must have a rare issue as to why.
    Glo
    Yeah I was wondering that as well. I have heard of some people that cannot do one type of dialysis but they can still do Peritoneal Dialysis if they cannot do Hemo Dialysis ...
    Angie
    Kidney Korner Dialysis Ethics Forum Kidney Pix Awareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
    I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011

• Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
    • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
    • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

Arrow Re: Low Potassium Diet

The info I have from the American Association of Kidney Patients list...

Potato, Instant, Mashed---- 1 cup 489mg. of Potassium

My son is on <2000 mg. per day, so this would be about 1/4 of his daily allotment. It all depends on how much you are allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by thumperzluv View Post
    The info I have from the American Association of Kidney Patients list...

Potato, Instant, Mashed---- 1 cup 489mg. of Potassium

My son is on <2000 mg. per day, so this would be about 1/4 of his daily allotment. It all depends on how much you are allowed.
    True. Quite true. It changes person to person and dependent on what stage you are at. Thanks for making this very valid point. Everything in moderation and always talk it over with a dietitian and go by lab work (I always ask for a copy for myself to go over them).
    Angie
    Kidney Korner Dialysis Ethics Forum Kidney Pix Awareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search

Unhappy Re: Low Potassium Diet

Hello friends. I have been off for a while. I saw this thread so I can say something here. I just got back from the allergy Doc. in Pasadena. He tells me that I am allergic to milk, egg whites,green beans,Wheat flour, rice,corn, and so I am going whoa whoa what am I to eat now. the eggs, green beans, corn, rice were my staples. I have had this terrible itch while in dialysis for the past two weeks ,and I have been smearing all of these lotions on my body I am taking the lab reports to the dialysis center tomorrow and see if they can come up with some kind of menue. I am slightly allergic to beef and I have been eating that. so back to the chicken and the fish I guess. I am supposed to eat lots of meat protein. Well I stopped the bread last week because of the wheat flour

Quote Originally Posted by lectropet View Post
    Hello friends. I have been off for a while. I saw this thread so I can say something here. I just got back from the allergy Doc. in Pasadena. He tells me that I am allergic to milk, egg whites,green beans,Wheat flour, rice,corn, and so I am going whoa whoa what am I to eat now. the eggs, green beans, corn, rice were my staples. I have had this terrible itch while in dialysis for the past two weeks ,and I have been smearing all of these lotions on my body I am taking the lab reports to the dialysis center tomorrow and see if they can come up with some kind of menue. I am slightly allergic to beef and I have been eating that. so back to the chicken and the fish I guess. I am supposed to eat lots of meat protein. Well I stopped the bread last week because of the wheat flour
    I have an odd question for you (more of a question that I have been wondering about my own developing allergies when I never used to have any). Do you still have your adrenal glands (that sit on top of the kidneys)?
    Angie

I don't have the answer to that I should ask them at the dialysis center. Maybe they would know. What do the adrenal glands do?

Thanks for answering. I will try to answer your question. My Neph told me that through testing, my kidneys are very small and have been losing normal functioning over a period of time (every 7 years or so). I may have been born this way as there is no way to tell now...and I'm 60 years old. The Neph feels that dialysis would not make my "puny" kidneys grow. He said, if I follow a non-dialysis, low potassium diet, I could stabilize my kidney function until I need a transplant. I also have high blood pressure, which we are having a very hard time trying to find the right medication to maintain low bp. At one point,I ended up in the ER because of high bp. Now, every day and before the evening meal, I have to take this kayexelate (sp) which is supposed to help me pass potassium. It tastes like drinking wet sand, but if that's what I have to do..., I have to do it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast