Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Exercise?

Best Exercise?

I want to loose some weight. Which one is the best exercise to be fit and fine?

Re: Best Exercise?

Since this is your first post I won't check out your site as I am not sure if you are human or not (no offense) but I will answer your question in terms of exercise for someone on dialysis (sorry but you didn't say in terms of what stage of kidney disease so I can only assume):

http://www.aakp.org/aakp-library/Dia...nts--Exercise/

(Excerpt below. NOT whole article)

Keeping Fit: Why Dialysis Patients Should Exercise
    By Stephen Z. Fadem, MD, FACP
    Exercise is a very important aspect of our lives and it is all too often neglected in our western culture.

We are designed to be active and are “hardwired” genetically to support a physically active lifestyle. The first human-like footprints were traced back to around four million years ago. We relied on walking and running as our sole means of transportation until the domestication of horses 5,000 years ago. While our lifestyles regrettably have adapted to our relatively low level of activity, our bodies have not. It is now becoming clear that inactivity is associated with heart disease. A recent article in the New England Journal of Medicine shows that prolonged sitting in women is associated with increased cardiovascular risk, while walking and vigorous exercise are both associated with a reduction in cardiovascular problems.

It is a misunderstanding that patients with a chronic disease cannot be very active. Lance Armstrong changed all that. Many patients who enter dialysis programs have been chronically ill, as a result of diabetes or hypertension, and have concerns as to whether it is safe to increase exercise activity. The facts and observations suggest that dialysis patients can also remain active. In fact, there is no reason why patients cannot exercise while on dialysis.

Our experience with low and moderate intensity exercise suggests that the ideal time to exercise is during therapy. Patients are achieving their ideal body weight, are not under the cardiac strain of fluid overload and do not have the drained feeling that sometimes occurs immediately after dialysis. The goal for exercise is 30 minutes per session and patients often need to build up to this. Remember, dialysis patients should not be prescribed exercise based upon their heart rate. Instead, one must monitor for signs and symptoms of exertion.
    Patients must be able to converse comfortably during the exercise therapy. Lightheadedness, dizziness, leg cramps, palpitations, nausea, chest discomfort, pain or pressure and unusual breathlessness are indicators that exercise should immediately be discontinued and the patient be reevaluated. In addition to the warm up mentioned above, the patient should cool down for a few minutes rather than stopping exercise abruptly. This avoids blood pooling. Dialysis patients are undergoing simultaneous ultrafiltration to reach their dry weight and pooling can lead to hypotension with dizziness, light headedness and even fainting. Diabetics taking insulin must adjust their dose downward when exercising since activity increases glucose uptake by cells. Hypoglycemia may occur up to 24 hours following activity and patients should monitor their blood sugars frequently when initiating any new program that involves activity.

This article originally appeared in the January 2003 issue of aakpRENALIFE Vol. 18, No. 4.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0515100138.htm

Exercise During Dialysis Enhances Results And Overall Physical Performance

Sylvia Ruttan exercises using a stationary bike during her dialysis treatment. (Photo Credit: Cheryl King-Van Vlack)

ScienceDaily (May 15, 2006) — A new Queen's study suggests that patients who exercise while hooked up to dialysis show better results in clearing toxins and increasing overall physical stamina.

A five-month, low-intensity exercise intervention study of dialysis patients was recently carried out by Rehabilitation Therapy professor Cheryl King-VanVlack, member of the Cardiac, Circulation and Respiratory (CCR) group at Queen's, and a group of researchers from Queen's and Kingston General Hospital.
    Results of the study, published in the most recent edition of the journal Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, show that exercise during the process of dialysis increases by 20 per cent the removal of urea, one of the toxins collected in the body between dialysis sessions. This indicates that exercise during dialysis can enhance the treatment.
    The study also suggests that physical function and stamina for the participants increases with the increased rate of toxin removal. During six-minute walk tests at weeks one, 10 and 20 of the study, the distance participants walked each time increased substantially.

"Enhanced dialysis efficacy over the long term may reduce the toxic effects of the 'uremic' syndrome, which refers to a myriad of complications associated with renal failure," says Dr. King-VanVlack. "Patients undergoing hemodialysis may have fewer complications, enhanced physical function and better quality of life by regular participation in an intra-dialytic exercise program."
    Previously, most exercise programs for dialysis patients were instituted between sessions on non-dialysis days, and those programs that used exercise did not focus on dialysis efficacy -- the amount of toxins removed during a dialysis session.

Participants in this study exercised three times a week on stationary exercise bikes or mini-steppers placed in front of their dialysis chairs, for 30 minutes in each of the first two hours of dialysis.

Blood flow through the tissue is increased when exercise using lower extremity muscles allows capillaries to open up more to provide a greater surface area for exchange of substances from tissue to blood, researchers say. The increased blood flow moves more toxins from tissue to blood during dialysis for subsequent removal at the dialyser. The overall result is a greater removal of toxins in a given dialysis session or enhanced dialysis efficacy.
    Other members of the research team are Dr. Edwin B. Toffelmire, Head of Nephrology at Kingston General Hospital and Trisha Parsons, a former Queen's Rehabilitation Science doctoral student. Findings from this study were presented at the Canadian Society of Nephrology meetings.
    Angie
    Kidney KornerDialysis Ethics Forum Kidney PixAwareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
    I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011

• Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
    • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
    • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

Our neph got Dave into a physical therapist because he just doesn't want to exercise, so at least he'll be getting a little bit a week seeing him. He gave Dave three exercises he could do in bed while he is hooked up for the night. One is to lay on his back, start with your hands at your side and slowly raise them up over his head, breathing in through the nose while doing this part, then slowly bring them back out blowing the air back out through "PURSED" lips, that helps tighten the stomach muscles without putting undo strain on the stomach muscles because of the pd tube. Next was to lay on his back and bend one knee and raise the other leg up, keep it straight and hold it for five seconds. The third is to lay on his back with both knees bent and his hands down at his sides and raise his hiney and hold it for five seconds. Each of these exercises should be done in sets of five.
    Vicky

Husband, Dave, IgAN end stage
    PD dialysis since March of 2009.

For me swimming is the best one. I am also trying to loose some extra pounds. I am also getting success in it with the help of swimming. I used to swim early in the morning. I have lost about 10 pounds in 5 months. It only effects if you do it regularly.

Swimming is a no no for those on PD. Too many risks of infection.
    Vicky

Actually, swimming is possible, with restrictions.

I swam all last summer (and boy, did I need it in Texas)
    Diagnosed Stage 2 CKD (lupus) 1985
    PD March 2009-present
    On Transplant List
    Husband is a match (undecided about that for now)

We were told no more than 10-15 minutes in a public pool, immediately shower and treat your exit site. We've done very well in the last year and a half and Dave has never gotten an infection (Knocking on wood AKA forehead) so likely will never take that chance.

I understand that the pounches used for those with ostomies are great to use and the new Saran Wrap that sticks works well too.
    Vicky

Actually swimming can be quite safe if precautions are followed. If you look back at some of my earlier posts you can find where I detail preparations for this activity. However forget the Ostomy bags and related contraptions...they are awkward at best and they they simply don't work! What you need are tegaderm bandages, once properly applied they effectively seal out water and moisture. I have never had one leak in well over a year. I also use them while sailing and kayaking and they remain securely positioned and watertight for hours.

Davpro-

Thanks for the reminder about Tegaderm. I am going tubing this summer, and was trying to remember the name.

Happy water fun to you!
    PD March 2009-present
    On Transplant List

Exclamation Re: Best Exercise?

johnmarshel,

I notice that you and "christopher" have very similar responses to people on these boards. Do you have CKD?

A
    PD March 2009-present
    On Transplant List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast