Subscribe to this Thread…

Thread: Post transplant

Post transplant

Hi All: My husband had a transplant (his brother was donor) was home for 2 days and blood work showed that it was rejecting, Has been in hospital for over a week and still saying that his kidney is rejecting, They are doing a treatment with the plasma in his blood, has any one heard of this?? His creatine level is now 2.0 after transplant . How long can a kidney sleep? Dr.'s are not saying much just that this is all normal. Has anyone experienced this.

Re: Post transplant

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Di View Post
    Hi All: My husband had a transplant (his brother was donor) was home for 2 days and blood work showed that it was rejecting, Has been in hospital for over a week and still saying that his kidney is rejecting, They are doing a treatment with the plasma in his blood, has any one heard of this?? His creatine level is now 2.0 after transplant . How long can a kidney sleep? Dr.'s are not saying much just that this is all normal. Has anyone experienced this.
    It is very common for a kidney to have rejection within the first few months. This type of rejection is usually the savable kind. My first kidney had that kind and it lasted me 11 years after that initial rejection that they were able to save from permanently rejecting. This happens because it is the body's natural defense to reject foreign objects (organs with other DNA in our body).

My 2nd kidney didn't reject but it was asleep. It stayed asleep for 7 weeks. It depends on the cause of the kidney being sleepy. Mine was due to lack of blood flow that caused Acute Tubular Necrosis in my case.

It is important to note that a rejecting kidney and a sleeping kidney are 2 different things. Why do you ask about a sleeping kidney?

My transplanted kidney (which I have now had since Sept 30th 2007)'s creatinine holds steady at 2.0 .. I know ... high .. but they said as long as it holds steady there .. that it is the base line for my kidney and what they go by.

How old is the kidney donor? I have heard that usually a kidney from a live donor isn't sleepy and has a much higher success rate. But still an reject within the first year.

Here is some information on the difference between Acute Rejection and Chronic Rejection:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transpl...cute_rejection

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transpl...onic_rejection
    Angie
    Kidney Korner Dialysis Ethics Forum Kidney Pix Awareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
    I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011

• Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
    • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
    • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

Lady Di,
    After you read Angie's links, write down questions for the docs. A rejection is different than one that never starts working. I was transplanted in April and had a rejection in June. The (vascular) rejection was treated with thymogobulin and steriod IV. It was not an easy course, but it worked.
    Plasma treatment makes me think of pheresis, which is sometimes used for a relapse of the disease that wrecked the native kidneys. I had it to treat a relapse of FSGS in my first Tx. That worked for the time, but wasn't a long term solution for me. My creatinine has been around 2.3 for months, and now has dropped to 1.7. You don't want to lose any more function, but some transplants have a different "normal".
    Best wishes and keep coming back. There are people with big hearts and experiences that can help you understand and know that you are not alone.
    Missie

Thanks Angie and Missie, as of today the plasma treatments are not working (he has 5) and his creatine is rising, it was 4.0 yesterday, from 1.9 when he left the hosp. after transplant 2 weeks ago, and basically has been in since. Today the Dr. called and said he is now in ICU, he had a reaction to a IV that has rabbit in it, and started vomiting and lost alot of blood from where the incision was and also from the bioposy. They are going to do a blood transfusion. They keep saying this is all very normal when it is rejecting, but it is way more than we ever thought. Appreciate all the good thoughts and prayers, it is hard for me to get to hospital every day, it's an hour away and I have a small child, so we do the best we can by cell phone. Has anyone heard of this happening?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Di View Post
    Thanks Angie and Missie, as of today the plasma treatments are not working (he has 5) and his creatine is rising, it was 4.0 yesterday, from 1.9 when he left the hosp. after transplant 2 weeks ago, and basically has been in since. Today the Dr. called and said he is now in ICU, he had a reaction to a IV that has rabbit in it, and started vomiting and lost alot of blood from where the incision was and also from the bioposy. They are going to do a blood transfusion. They keep saying this is all very normal when it is rejecting, but it is way more than we ever thought. Appreciate all the good thoughts and prayers, it is hard for me to get to hospital every day, it's an hour away and I have a small child, so we do the best we can by cell phone. Has anyone heard of this happening?
    Oh wow sorry you guys are going through that! Guess he is allergic to Rabbit? When I was rejecting all I got was fever and that was my only clue. That and my kidney started to feel a little "odd" .. no pain .. just ... different.
    Angie
    Kidney Korner Dialysis Ethics Forum Kidney Pix Awareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
    I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011

• Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
    • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
    • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

Lady Di,
    The Rabbit IV is thymogobulin. It is a harsh drug that is difficult to take. I was given meds for nausea, and was tested every day before the IV for platelets and red cells. This might explain the bleeding. A nephrologist told me that thymogobulin is like a sledgehammer to your immune system, and is intended to stop his immune system from attacking the new kidney. I had it 8 days, and was told I "did well", but I felt horrible, the IV site burned or did not last for the 4 hours. I was weak and was glad to sleep through part of the treatments because they also gave me benadryl to help with some of the effects of the thymo. My husband did not tolerate the treatment as well as I did, so I know it is hard for you. Sometimes it is easier to be the patient, the one who is drugged up and getting help than the spouse who cares about the patient and can't fix it.