Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Missing dialysis sessions info

Hello,

I'm living with my 32 year old son who has been on dialysis for 6 months. His sessions are on TThSa. Last Saturday he woke up with diarrhea so he skipped his session. He called the center later that day and was told that he could come in on Monday (today) but he has been feeling so good that he has opted to wait until tomorrow for his regular session. I'm concerned that the toxic buildup over 120 hours may cause some problems or lead to some troublesome days ahead. Has anyone here had to skip sessions and what have been the results?

Thanks for any help/info you can provide.

jetaylor47
    Sparks, NV

Re: Missing dialysis sessions info

Hi. It's difficult to know how to answer your question without knowing a bit more about your son and his condition. Generally, if someone is relatively healthy and watches their fluid intake (also, if they are still urinating...that's a big plus!) then missing a session will not jeopardize his health. On the other hand, continuously skipping sessions can cause problems in the long run. My doctor explained it to me this way: you may get away with skipping sessions, or even shortening them, for a while, but depending on your general overall health, the body will catch up with you and it may result in longer treatments. Again, it's all relative. One patient in my clinic skips sessions regularly and shortens them too. As a result, her treatment time has now increased from 3 1/2 to 4 hours each time.

I'm sure other people will give you their input on this. I hope this has been useful for you. By the sounds of it, your son is doing pretty well and missing one session should not do him harm. Best to ask your doctor too, for advice.

Finally, a note to say that I've gone 4 days twice, when I was traveling. I had an extra session the morning after my evening treatment...the morning I was traveling and the next time I had a treatment, was 4 days later. I felt fine...and it was all validated by my doctor and the clinic.

I hope this helps you and your son.

Hello,

Skipping dialysis can become a habit, particularly when you feel fine. Excuses aren't hard to find on a beautiful fall day. Doing so over an extended period of time can grow into a real problem with the toxin in the body as was mentioned above but if your son is looking to transplant they are very particular about compliance. The thought is that if you don't care enough to make your sessions then the possibility exists that you won't be compliant in taking medications and making the efforts needed to make a transplant work. I've been there and I admit to missing a few sessions but I didn't do it many times at all. My transplant has been extremely successful and problem free do to the fact I try had to do all that is required. It all began with dialysis.
    "Within every adversity lies a slumbering possibility"
    Linda
    Tx: 7/28/2005
    St. Louis University Hospital

Smile Re: Missing dialysis sessions info

Quote Originally Posted by jetaylor47 View Post
    Hello,

I'm living with my 32 year old son who has been on dialysis for 6 months. His sessions are on TThSa. Last Saturday he woke up with diarrhea so he skipped his session. He called the center later that day and was told that he could come in on Monday (today) but he has been feeling so good that he has opted to wait until tomorrow for his regular session. I'm concerned that the toxic buildup over 120 hours may cause some problems or lead to some troublesome days ahead. Has anyone here had to skip sessions and what have been the results?

Thanks for any help/info you can provide.

jetaylor47
    Sparks, NV
    Hi Jetaylor47, Regarding your son and missing a dialysis treatment. From my many years of being on dialysis, I have missed a treatment, while in the hospital, but I'm sure they made sure that it was O.K. for me to miss that treatment, and I didn't really have any discomfort, as I was in the hospital because of a severe kidney infection, but every patients case is different, you have to take into account the nature of their CKD, (like how much remaining kidney function do they have), their weight could be a factor, and there time set for their dialysis treatment. But from what I read about your son, he seems to be doing fine. By the way how long is his hemo treatments set for? Is he a large guy? And if he is good about watching his fluid intake. And also during that time, it would be great if he would have more high biological protein in his diet, because high biological protein is used more efficiently by the body and create fewer waste products, such as beef, chicken, egg, egg whites, fish, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, veal and tofu, but Low Biological Protein isn't as good because one or more essential amino acids are missing. The body uses low quality protein less effectively than high quality protein, and you know this consist of vegetables, legumes, nuts, bread and other starches that contain lower quality protein. Then you need to be careful of some protein foods containing high potassium or phosphorus. And you know watching the sodium is very important, but in my opinion, and I was told this many years ago by my neph. that skipping or shortening the treatment is not wise, but I guess that depends on the pts. if whether they are following a proper renal diet, and watching what is necessary to not have any health issues with their treatment. You also need to be careful of cramping, because you could have cramping without even missing or shortening any treatments, Go Figure! It is always what if. I hope this helps in understanding how important it is to stick to your treatment regiment.
    Glo

HELLO..I have no kidneys and my Doc told me that its not good to miss any treatments.you feel so much better when you take off the fluid and the toxins and stay for full treatment.You don't have problems while on dialysis(like cramping etc).I know keeping a schedule can be boring but if you get out of the habit of missing days then you will feel better.

Skipping dialysis puts you at a higher risk for CVD (cardiovascular disease). As it is, renal patients are at high risk for CVD so why increase our chances?
    As bothersome as it might be, going to all your dialysis sessions and starying on the whole time, not only will make you feel better,it will also keep you healthier.
    I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Yes, I have been missing dialysis sessions which I know is going to work against me pretty soon. I just feel so tired trying going to my sessions because I am experiencing tastebud problems which makes any food I taste bad and because my food taste bad I am not able to eat properly. It usually happens after I get off the dialysis machine. I have told my doctor about this but he do not why this is happening. I have been talking to other patients and they have the same problem.

Question, my Davita center has now given us a direct order which entails, if a person miss their Dialysis treatment they must reschedule another day during that week to make up for missing that Dialysis treatment. Is that something that can be impose on a patient if he or decides to miss their treatment.

I think it's something they do to make sure you are still getting your treatments. The last thing you want to do is casually miss treatments and then deal with building levels of toxicity in your body. The bad taste in your mouth is going to be the least of your worries if you keep missing treatments.
    Boyfriend is the renal patient:

Diabetes completely controlled with diet
    Hypertension better with the new med schedule.

PD as of 7/25/2011

Finally got the call on 12/20/2011 that he has been listed at Cedars Sinai.

Answering two in one.
    I'm past 70 and want to be past 80. I make it a point not to miss nor to short sessions. I'm of the older generation that tends to do what they are told without much argument. But I do believe that that is the right course for this disease. We have lost over 90% of our cleansing time and now we want to short it even more, well for me no thanks.

Second Davida and their rules. They are a fair sized corporation with a fiar numbwer of competent attournies and I am sure they have the right to make hose demands as if not they might not have so large a corporation and also find that some of the attournies were not competent. Alsp they get paid not from us but by the Medicare organization primarily. They may be forced to do this to recoup the bill.
    In any event its for your own good.
    God have emrcy on us all
    Cicero
    May God have mercy on us all

CK

Idiopathic globular membranous nephritis 1999-2006
    Feb 2006 Dx about 1-2 yrs before dialysis. Dialysis start 6-2006
    Chest Cath 4 mos in center hemo dialysis
    Fistula, button holes, self stick days 07-09 in center hemo
    Graft nocturnal hemo 4Q09 to present

Smile Re: Missing dialysis sessions info

Quote Originally Posted by Suprduper View Post
    Yes, I have been missing dialysis sessions which I know is going to work against me pretty soon. I just feel so tired trying going to my sessions because I am experiencing tastebud problems which makes any food I taste bad and because my food taste bad I am not able to eat properly. It usually happens after I get off the dialysis machine. I have told my doctor about this but he do not why this is happening. I have been talking to other patients and they have the same problem.

Question, my Davita center has now given us a direct order which entails, if a person miss their Dialysis treatment they must reschedule another day during that week to make up for missing that Dialysis treatment. Is that something that can be impose on a patient if he or decides to miss their treatment.
    hi suprduper, i hope all is well with you. I sent you a recent email, it was way too much to share on this forum. i hope to hear from you real soon, and i hope you are putting an effort to trying to stop skipping anymore of your hemo treatments, at present, to stay as compliant with your treatment as much as you can. Skipping is not beneficial for adequate hemodialysis treatment, and i know this, because my life has been renal for over two decades now. Even shortening your treatment session can result in inadequate treatment.
    Glo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast