Subscribe to this Thread…
    mar123

living with 30% kidney function

My mother has just been told that she only has 30% of one kidney functioning. The other one was severly blocked & probably happened over 15 years. They also found that she has vascular disease in her stomach surrounding the kidney's ; the doctor said it was like a plaque(whatever that means) She also said that they couldn't do an angio. because the risk of surgery outways the functioning of the kidney's. She said just take the medicine she prescribed(a vitamin D) and watch my mother's potassium intake. I think that I could be doing something more for my mom. I live with her and cook for her, she's 77 yrs. old. , has had heart surgery, gout, anemia, high blood pressure, arthritis and takes a bunch of medicine every day for all her ailments. She swears by what the doctor says, but at least I can help with her diet. Any suggestions? Should I try to talk her into a second opinion?

NatJan84
    Understandably you don't seem to fully know what is happening with your mother's kidney's, so I would suggest that you go back to the Doctor with a list of questions that you would like answered and make sure you leave fully understanding. If your mother is not intrested in going back to the Doctors then write a letter to the Doctor with your questions and see what response you get. There's no point worrying when you don't know what your worrying about.

Hassan

Kidney cancer, bone loss and diet

My sister removed one kidney and half of the other kidney and is living on half a kidney. We are concerned about the return of her cancer. Also bacause her intake of dairy products (calcium) is limited , we are concerned about bone loss.

Any recommendation is appreciated.

h.

davjelly
    Quote Originally Posted by mar123
    My mother has just been told that she only has 30% of one kidney functioning. The other one was severly blocked & probably happened over 15 years. They also found that she has vascular disease in her stomach surrounding the kidney's ; the doctor said it was like a plaque(whatever that means) She also said that they couldn't do an angio. because the risk of surgery outways the functioning of the kidney's. She said just take the medicine she prescribed(a vitamin D) and watch my mother's potassium intake. I think that I could be doing something more for my mom. I live with her and cook for her, she's 77 yrs. old. , has had heart surgery, gout, anemia, high blood pressure, arthritis and takes a bunch of medicine every day for all her ailments. She swears by what the doctor says, but at least I can help with her diet. Any suggestions? Should I try to talk her into a second opinion?
    i think that a second opinion is always good but you see she might not want that because if she had the disease for so long and that doctor for so long that she is set in her ways. you can talk to other doctors and see what they say and then relay it back to her and see what she says. and you are dong a lot for her you dont know that or see that but you are. I am going to share something with you I have CKD and have had it for 3 years and i am 23 years old. i have had people tell me that i should get a second opinion and for some reason i dont i know that my doctor is good. plus i was diagnosed by 2 different doctors. you are a good person doing good deeds for your mother. you can email me back if you wish too so that we can talk more if you want to

wolflord
    Quote Originally Posted by mar123
    1. Go talk with your mothers doctor. Get all your questions answered.
    2. Then see the units dietitian - A dialysis diet is very different than a regular diet.
    3. Give your mom a hug & a kiss.

ugot2lekit

Please someone give me a straight answer....

I really need someone out there to give me a straight answer right now.A friend of my family is in the hospital with kidney failuer. Today will be the third day she has done dialisis. The doctors have told her she will be lucky if she makes it 6 weeks her liver is not functioning the way it should and her bone marrow is not right either. She is very very yellow, sleeps all the time and in some strange way it seems as if she is loosing her mind. I guess my question is.... does anyone know of anybody who has also gone threw this and how long did they live? She was given the choice to go home to die or to move to a diffrent part of the hospital where she will die there..

ugot2lekit

New Update

She Has Now Come Home....hospice Has Stepped In. They Come To The House To Take Care Of Her... She Does Dialisis 3 Days A Weeek... The Doctor Did Say She Has A 5% Chance.... So Basicly Slim To None .... She Is Now At Home To Die There......again If Anyone Is Someone Familiar With This Situation, Please Gimme Some Kind Of Time Frame Of Her Life.....ty

LindaHilda

Unhappy Peritoneal Dialysis

My mom is 78, her blood pressure became extremely low and after years of blood pressure medicines she has been rushed to the hospital. Kidneys are 10-15 functioning and they are preparing her the last few days for peritoneal dialysis. Is this a high rish procedure, and will it require her to have this done daily? Should it not be crucial that they do it immediately instead of inserting tubes one day at a time? thanks for your help.

houston
    LindaHilda, PD dialysis is relative safe procedure, my husband has it done a few months ago, he stayed home for a week before go back to work. and you can start use the PD access after a few weeks. so far we like PD a lot, it gives you a lot of freedom for food selection, and you hook to machine every night before go to sleep, so once you get use to it, it does not brother your normal life (well, I should say for the most part..) for your mother, who is senior, it might be a little changelle, since she will need to setup the machine/supplie every night (unless she has someone else to help?) which can be some work, (the supply is little heavy) overall the set up takes 5 mins, once you become good at it.
    I hope this helps..