Subscribe to this Thread…

Question Renal dietician question..."sorta"

don't know of anyone else's experience, but I have found my renal dietician to be less than helpful. Other than handing me a printout of high/low potassium & phospherous foods, I find her guidance lacking. Perhaps this is because I am still ignorant as to the questions I need to be asking HER. Whatever the reason I need some help & I come to you all here where I have found tremendous support & a wealth of information.
    Being diabetic, so many of my food choices are contrary to my diabetic needs & "no-nos"..one particular is changing back to white rice as opposed to the brown, whole grain rice. Question is....I had been experiencing with alternative pastas & sides dishes ......are grains such as quinoa, & tabuleah (sp?) a good choice for those of us who are renally challenged ...getting a little tired of white rice....Any suggestions?...FYI, I am prone to bouts with hyperkelemia ..& have elevated phospherous levels...Stage 4 (& very frightened & overwhelmed.....).....Join the club huh?

Re: Renal dietician question..."sorta"

The best person who knows you is YOU. I found my dietitian also to be lacking in much education to assist me with my renal diet. I simply watched what I ate - read all the labels. My numbers were always good and I didn't rely on a person educated in food to assist me. Also remember, that motivation to stick to a diet is really up to YOU. We are always here to help you out. Unfortunately, I am not a diabetic so I can't answer your rice questions.

I have always used no sodium brown rice, wheat pasta and was never told otherwise by my nephrologist that it was bad for me. He too also had a list of the good/bad potassium/sodium foods to stay away from.

Fresh fruits and veggies are your best bet with small portions of fish, chicken and beef. I usually eat a 4 ounce filet and either grill it or broil it, steamed veggies and/or a salad.

Good luck with your diet.

Dont get into any type of opinions which other carry, Its all in your mind. Find out the real reason for your tiredness.

Smile Re: Renal dietician question..."sorta"

Quote Originally Posted by Feelinlost View Post
    don't know of anyone else's experience, but I have found my renal dietician to be less than helpful. Other than handing me a printout of high/low potassium & phospherous foods, I find her guidance lacking. Perhaps this is because I am still ignorant as to the questions I need to be asking HER. Whatever the reason I need some help & I come to you all here where I have found tremendous support & a wealth of information.
    Being diabetic, so many of my food choices are contrary to my diabetic needs & "no-nos"..one particular is changing back to white rice as opposed to the brown, whole grain rice. Question is....I had been experiencing with alternative pastas & sides dishes ......are grains such as quinoa, & tabuleah (sp?) a good choice for those of us who are renally challenged ...getting a little tired of white rice....Any suggestions?...FYI, I am prone to bouts with hyperkelemia ..& have elevated phospherous levels...Stage 4 (& very frightened & overwhelmed.....).....Join the club huh?
    Feeinlost, Have you ever thought about adding vegetables and herbs to your rice, it will make it taste a bit better. It sounds like you are eating plain white rice. There are great herbs that you could use in your rice. Such as a little finely chopped peppers, of various colors, shallots, parsley, saffron, Mrs. Dash table blend or garlic & herb seasoning. That is probably what you need to do to make your rice less boring. Let me know if you decide to try it that way. O.K.
    Take Care
    Glo

Feelinlost -- Unfortunately Quinoa is a high in phosphorus so it would not be a good choice for you. Nor would Tabouli (which is actually bulgar wheat) be a good substitute for white rice - because it is high in potassium. I am a diabetic - but do not have renal problems (yet). I do cook for my uncle who is a dialysis patient and have learned a great deal about his nutritional needs and why some things that I consider "good for you" foods are NOT good for him. I learned the majority of what his needs and restrictions are and the reasons for the restrictions from the Davita website under the educational tab. I would suggest you begin reading there and then post your questions - and/or ask your dietian your questions -- my uncles' dietian gave me her email address so I could email her when I was confused or concerned about anything and to get particular products approved by her before using them for my uncle.

I have been "treating" him with proper diet for two months now - and am happy to say that all of his potassium, phosphorus, albumin (protein), calcium, sodium levels have not only come down, they are now exactly well within the ranges they should be for his condition. His kidney doctor is very pleased and said his dialysis treatments are more effective because his levels are spot on, so he is receiving a better outcome from his treatments than ever before. I am happy to email you some recipes I use for white rice to make it more flavorful. I will try to post some on the website as well. I understand the diabetic diet (just not the diabetic renal diet) - and I understand the renal diet now, thanks to the Davita website. I have worked very closely with his Dietition and she has been very helpful in answering my questions and in approving commercially made items that I want to add into his diet and use in my recipes. Don't give up, information is key and I can pass on some of what I have learned to you. I'll try to post some recipes later this week.

Take heart and take care.

@Tarysa........... I was wondering if you posted some of your "rice recipes" am stage 4 and just getting started.... could use some good ones

I am on dialysis and want to know and I can not eat a lot of salt...A lot of these salt substitutes are not good if you have kidney failure & high blood pressure.Do any one have any suggestions?......Thanks

Hi Eatwell63,

I need to monitor my sodium intake, too. I have several suggestions that I hope you will find helpful.

1.Sodium girl.com is a popular blog written by a fellow kidney patient. She offers many delicious salt free recipes and tips. She has authored a book with tons of no sodium recipes, too.
    2. Please DON'T pass the salt.com- is another blog featuring recipes and tips.
    3. I've never tried it, but the heart healthy market.com offers online shopping and shipping of many low and no sodium foods.
    4. I find Davita's recipes are very tasty no/ low sodium choices,too.
    Many blessings to you.- flower

I wonder if my dad who is diabetic patient with high BP, and he is under the dialysis for about 2 months, quinoa is better choice for him to try. He was very depressed since he recently found intestinal gas. He carries 2L water for the dialysis, he is worried v v v much. We are thinking to try some new like Quinoa. It seems it is not very a good choice though Please help. We have limit access with dietian as in HK, patients meet the dietian every quarter. So we have no clue what to do. Please help.........

Since my dad is under dialysis (3 times a day). So quinoa can been taken, the reason i m concerned Phosphorus and Potassium was bad for the patients if the index is high. Since he is under dialysis, can he in-take quinoa or some thing with low phosphorus / potassium????
    Please help help!!!