Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

metalic taste all the time

My husband has just started dialysis. Has been on it for about two months. He has started having a metalic taste all the time and has now stopped eating right. He is losing weight too fast. He is on a calcium binder.( Calcium Acetate.) I have been reading about some of the other binders, and they cause this bad taste. Could the one hes on be causing this and if so is there one out there that doesn't.

Re: metalic taste all the time

This metalic taste is because the toxins that built up in his body is showing up everywhere. Like ,smelly sweat, amonia smelling urine (if he still urinates a little), bad taste in his mouth and sometimes his hair will fall out as well as little blisters on his legs and feet.

It might get better when they "twig" his dialysis to work perfectly... but then it might not.

Good luck
    Please note: Any advice given is given from my own experience and not medical advice.

OMG DES you are kidding. Why would all this happen AFTER you start dialysis and start getting the toxins out? Logically it would happen if you delayed dialysis and the toxins built up in the body and couldn't get out. Please explan....thanks.

Dialysis is not a cure but only a treatment. It removes only SOME of the toxins and not all. They remove it to an acceptable level but Dialysis can NEVER replace normal kidney function. You will realize it in the blood tests taken after dialysis. I am sorry if I scare you but it is the truth. The good news is that dialysis have advanced so much that more and more toxins are being removed than say 10 years ago. This have decreased the mortality rate.

That is why a transplant is a far better option in treating CKD.
    Please note: Any advice given is given from my own experience and not medical advice.

My husbands kidney function has been below 20 all year, one would think that if he were going to have the side effects of toxins that are listed in this post that it would happen now instead of when on dialysis having some of the toxins removed. This does not calculate.

Quote Originally Posted by dorythomdorythom@bex.net View Post
    My husband has just started dialysis. Has been on it for about two months. He has started having a metalic taste all the time and has now stopped eating right. He is losing weight too fast. He is on a calcium binder.( Calcium Acetate.) I have been reading about some of the other binders, and they cause this bad taste. Could the one hes on be causing this and if so is there one out there that doesn't.
    My husband also had a metallic taste in his mouth before his dialysis. His mouth smells like urine but urine smell is gone the 1st day he went on dialysis. His been on hemodialysis 3x a week since April 27, 2009. He is much better now health wise. His energy is back. He is also currently on Phoslo (Calcium Binder) and I don't think this cause the bad taste. Thing will get better. Hang in there and don't miss any of his dialysis schedule.

I used to get a metallic taste in my mouth when I first started dialysis, but was told it was the treatment. That made sense to me at the time because I never had that taste before...In fact, one time after a treatment I had a cup of tea and thought this (new!) tea tasted horrible. I later realized it was not the tea, but the metallic taste in my mouth. I now happily enjoy the tea again!

I've had a metallic taste in my mouth from time to time (I am not on dialysis) but I understand this is not uncommon with stage 4 CKD. I think my metallic taste has something to do with the electrolytes being out of whack...for instance, my metallic taste tasted like I had consumed chlorine bleach. It's like I had the smell of chlorine when I breathed out, as opposed to breathing air in. I don't have it presently, since I have been faithfully on the kidney diet. So, something must be back in check blood wise.
    Stage 4 Chronic Kidney Disease, 17% renal function, 11 years
    *Non diabetic *Non dialysis
    High Blood Pressure, controlled

"Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God."
    ~Corrie ten Boom

I've had a metallic (bad) taste in my mouth off and on for a year now. I was just diagnosed with CKD 6 months ago. I have not been told what stage I am in but have figured it is stage 4. Right now the taste is so bad all day long

Hi Samantha, If you are in stage 4, I am kind of shocked your Dr. has not told you. This is the time to be under closer supervision. Seeing a renal dietician is very important. Are you seeing your Dr. on a regular basis? Do you see a Nephrologist? If not you really need to talk with your Dr. or get a new one.

Stay in touch, Toni
    May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
    Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast