Subscribe to this Thread…

height of cycler machine and bed

I went and bought the same cart that Davita has to put cycler machine on and I think they said something about it being same height as bed but I'm not sure. My cycler sits on cart approximately 1 to 1 1/2 feet above bed on cart, is that ok or could that be causing my cramping and pain when using the cycler???

Charli
    Charli (:

Re: height of cycler machine and bed

I was told that the cycler should be at the same height as my mattress. Do you have a night stand that is the same height as your bed that you could try to see if it makes a difference? I did not have problems with cramping and had my cycler on a cabinet that I purchased for it just so that it would be the same height as my mattress. I started out using my night stand but wanted a bit more space on the top so got a different cabinet.

Smile Re: height of cycler machine and bed

Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun4027@cox.net View Post
    I went and bought the same cart that Davita has to put cycler machine on and I think they said something about it being same height as bed but I'm not sure. My cycler sits on cart approximately 1 to 1 1/2 feet above bed on cart, is that ok or could that be causing my cramping and pain when using the cycler???

Charli
    Hi Charli,
    I went through this very same thing, when it came to what was feasible where the cycler is concerned. Let me tell you a little story of my dilemnas trying to find the right table and the position of the cycler. I was so cautious of the safety in doing my PD, that I decided to sleep in a recliner, but of course my husband wasn't very pleased with this, and I wasn't very comfortable with this, it only last a few days. I also decided not to risk the possibility of getting peritoniitis (an infection), so I never wanted to connect and disconnect at anytime during my cycler treatment, so I changed my bedroom around where my cycler could be close to my bathroom in the bedroom, but that wasn't a very good choice, because my PD tubing was coming across me to connect to the cycler, and this very much put a strain on my PD catherer and the surrounding area, I ended up getting peritonitits from this change. Now we had to completely turn the bed to another wall close to the bathroom, and so I could sleep on the side where the bathroom is. Charli, as you can see this was quite a dilemna for me, and I must commend my husband for being so supportive and a good sport about all this, because this very much kept him from getting a good nights sleep for awhile, most of the time he was so tired and exhausted at work, after a night of my agonizing saga of the cycler (LOL). What you need to concentrate on is, if it is comfortable for you and very importantly will it keep you safe in the long run. So, you take care, and I hope to hear from you real soon.
    Glo

Smile Re: height of cycler machine and bed

Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun4027@cox.net View Post

Charli
    Hi Charli,
    I went through this very same thing, when it came to what was feasible where the cycler is concerned. Let me tell you a little story of my dilemnas trying to find the right table and the position of the cycler. I was so cautious of the safety in doing my PD, that I decided to sleep in a recliner, but of course my husband wasn't very pleased with this, and I wasn't very comfortable with this, it only last a few days. I also decided not to risk the possibility of getting peritoniitis (an infection), so I never wanted to connect and disconnect at anytime during my cycler treatment, so I changed my bedroom around where my cycler could be close to my bathroom in the bedroom, but that wasn't a very good choice, because my PD tubing was coming across me to connect to the cycler, and this very much put a strain on my PD catherer and the surrounding area, I ended up getting peritonitits from this change. Now we had to completely turn the bed to another wall close to the bathroom, and so I could sleep on the side where the bathroom is. Charli, as you can see this was quite a dilemna for me, and I must commend my husband for being so supportive and a good sport about all this, because this very much kept him from getting a good nights sleep for awhile, most of the time he was so tired and exhausted at work, after a night of my agonizing saga of the cycler (LOL). What you need to concentrate on is, if it is comfortable for you and very importantly will it keep you safe in the long run. So, you take care, and I hope to hear from you real soon. Oh, I also left you a private message on your profile.
    Glo

Hi Charli. My spouse is a PD patient on the Baxter ProChoice cycler. He had some cramping as well as drain alarms until we lowered the cyler to about 6 inches below the level of the bed. (the bottom of the cycler sits about 6 inches below the top of the mattress). No more problems. You might try this for a night or two to see if it helps you.

Good luck!
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
    It's about learning to dance in the rain. "

Arrow Re: height of cycler machine and bed

I have not been on the Baxter PD Cycler since 1990 so I am sorry I can't contribute from personal experience (last time on the PD Cycler was Fresenius which is completely different) but I did want to share a picture that Shay of KidneyFun posted before which might be helpful to this thread:

Angie
    Kidney Korner Dialysis Ethics Forum Kidney Pix Awareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
    I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011

• Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
    • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
    • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

I had the same problem with the cycler, as I have posted elsewhere in this forum. One solution Baxter and my PD nurse suggested was to raise the cycler up to a foot higher than the bed. It was no help at all. I couldn't sleep when draining and ended up having to abandon the idea of using the cycler at all. I do manual exchanges during the daytime, but I wish the cycler would work for me...it would certainly free up a lot of time and make life simpler.

No one mentioned this to me in the planning stages and it just turns out that the dresser that the cycler is sitting on is about 3 in higher than the bed and I haven't had any problems at all for 1 year now. You made me go look and measuer :-)

My husband started PD four weeks ago with manual exchanges three times a day but will be going on the cycler overnight at some point. If I remember correctly, his PD nurse said for best results the top of the cycler should be six inches belwo the top of the mattress. I am trying to find out what works best for others as this seems very low.