Subscribe to this Thread…

i only have 1 kidney with high creatinine level

hello i hope someone could help me out. i am born with 1 kidney, i am 19 years old now and just found out that my creatinine was 2.3. i have a very high proteinuria. and my doctor first told me that i am ckd 3 having a gfr of 31. after my 24 hour urine collection she told me that my kidney function is just 21.5%. i dont get it. how can i increase my gfr? is there any way? am i going to die soon? please help me. i want to live longer. is it possible for me not to have dialysis all my life? im so scared. i dont know what to do. please help me.

Re: i only have 1 kidney with high creatinine level

Hi, Do not panic, my husband had kidney cancer 7 yrs ago and the Dr. removed his left kidney and a portion of his right, so he had only 3/4 of one kidney working. It wasn't until recently that he had to go on dialysis because his blood test came back with very high creatinine level, and he does P.D. at night while he's sleeping. Did your Dr. talk to you about diet and what foods to stay away from such as phosphous and potassium. ? But rest assured you are not going to die. It's very natural to feel scared, I know for myself I was terrifed, but the more research I did and the more people I talked to, it does get easier.

Right, do not panic. My brother, too, was born with one functioning kidney (had the non working one removed at 6 months). He is doing just fine, and yes, his protein is very high, and his numbers are worse than yours. He's 62. You've got to realize that your one kidney is doing the work of two; whereas our two kidneys each work at 44%, taking turns and relieving the other kidney. If I were you, I certainly would be on the kidney diet and watch the potassium, and the phosphates, magnesium, etc. Just take your doctor's advice; if he's not panicking, I wouldn't either. I believe you are going to live for a long time, but take seriously your stage 3 diagnosis and don't run a lot of junk through your body...such as the teas, colas, etc. If you want to save your one kidney, then guard it, treasure it by how you eat. I know it's not popular for a 19 y/o to not eat what your peers are consuming, but in reality, your peers might be in the same boat as you in a few years. Our society is ruining it's own body parts, because, for one, we are gluttons. Be picky, gal...you'll be fine. When I was your age, my kidneys were fine, but my Dad had kidney disease; he tried his best to drill into my head about moderation in everything I ate, but did I listen? No, I didn't, and guess what? I'm stage 4 and desperately trying to make up for lost time. Sadly, kidney damage can become very permanent over time; you might be able to increase your GFR if you're diligent and serious about keeping what you've got.

God bless you, and don't fret; be proactive and learn all you can about how to stay healthy. Don't take up smoking, don't drink, especially don't do drugs. My prayer for myself is that I stay scared enough to keep me on track. When it comes to willpower, well, that's temporary; we have to determine and reason everyday to keep the precious organs in our body working so that it can heal itself. God has designed our bodies to heal, but when we abuse them with the wrong kinds of things, we compromise health for temporary pleasure.

Take care, girl!

I Am Blessed

thank you so much. i was relieved upon reading your comments. and im sorry for the panic. it was just i have 2 doctors and i dont know whos telling the precised diagnosis. one doctor always say the scary part but the other doctor is just easy when speaking to me. after i speak with the scary doctor i really panic when she speaks its like ill be having a transplant or dialysis "soon". i asked her how soon. and her answer was she couldnt tell. im very disciplined when it comes to food. but is it enough to live longer without dialysis?

nixie19 Hi welcome to the board. Before my kidneys failed the rest of the way I was always wondering if I should be on a diet or something. My creatinine was 3+and slowly rising. The nephrologist advised me to stop using table salt and after spending a week in hospital with congestive heart failure, He advised me about drinking so much water. Well you know these bottle water companies trying to sell their water are tell you to drink 6--7 glasses of water a day. Well my kidneys couldn't get rid of all that water and so I just filled up until I couldn't breath very well. So the Nephrologist limited me to 1 liter of water per day. When the kidneys failed the creatinine went over 8 the highest that I saw on some nurses report was 8.7 but that was after the graft failed and I was in the hospital having surgery on the graft. Another thing you might want to do is to lower the amount of meat that you eat in a day. It was 6 months after the kidneys failed and I was on dialysis thats when I joined up with DaVita Forums and then I found out the diet that I should have been on BEFORE the kidneys failed. Just chill and try not to worry too much. Worry only will make things worse. like the other writer wrote. stay away from tea and colas, I added coffee just for myself. and alcohol and street drugs and smoking. we are not trying to rain on your parade. when you are down to one kidney or no kidneys. like my self. you treat what is left with tender loving care. my creatinine is 8.5 and GRF is 6 %

I am so glad I joined this forum. I'm learning so much. May God bless us all!