Subscribe to this Thread…

help for intense leg and arm cramps

my son is down to 14% function and his transplant is scheduled for Oct 6th( yay!) but for now he is dealing with intense leg and arm 'cramping' , charlie-horse type pains that lock him up and paralyze him instantly. He has a high pain tolerance, but this pain has him sobbing. Any of you veterans have a remedy or advice for this? It's happend twice in the past 5 days and he has to go to high school every day until the transplant, so I am worried about him.

Smile Re: help for intense leg and arm cramps

Hi Evanshope,
    I feel for your son, cramping is one of the side effects of most of us dialysis patients, and I have been on dialysis for almost two decades. I learned earlier on from another veteran dialysis patients on what I can do to remedy those agonizing cramps in the legs, I use to get them right in the back of the calf of my leg and sometime in my foot. I don't get much cramping these days, just the occasional cramp, I used to drink tonic water with quinine to minimize the cramps on the dialyzing machine, and of course you can get your neprologist to prescribe some quinine to take in pill form. I hope this helps to relieve his cramps somewhat. Let me know if you decide to try the home remedy or get a prescription O.K. Take Care

Glo

Re: help for intense leg and arm cramps

Hi, Evanshope
    I wasn't sure from reading your posting if your son was on dialysis or not. You didn't mention his treatments, so I assume he is going straight to transplant? (As some people do.) If this is the case, the cramping is most likely a result of the kidneys failing...at 14%. It's one of the symptoms. It can also happen on dialysis as "jeffmoore" pointed out. If it's pre-dialysis, you can talk to a renal dietician or his doctor for supplements to help over the next few weeks before the transplant surgery. If it's while on dialysis, as "jeffmoore" said best to speak to his doctor or a technician/nurse at the clinic. During dialysis, cramping can be alleviated by stopping the fluid extraction for a bit. It's pretty horrible, so my heart goes out to him. I hope you find a solution to help.

Re: help for intense leg and arm cramps

My son is going straight to transplant....so his cramps are from the failure not dialysis. When we mentioned it to his neph she said that elevating w/ ice may help; we have done that and really only time has made them go away. I'd hate the thought of that happening to him at school(he's in high school), but it seems to happen alot when he is laying in bed...not sure if that has anything to do with it. Thanks for the advice so far.