Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question about Dr. Mackenzie Walser's book

Hi everyone,

I have read several people have tried Dr. Walzer's low protein dier (Coping with Kidney Disease: A 12-Step Treatment Program to Help You Avoid Dialysis). I picked up the book yesterday and went straight to the 7 day menu - it looks awful! I also read the lists of foods with phosphorus and protein content and I see that he mentions several companies that make low phosphorous foods (cheese etc). Has anyone tried those? Can anyone who is following his guidelines tell me what you are actually eating?

I want to try this diet to delay any more loss of kidney function but I am not sure I can follow it.

Thanks in advance for any input!

God Bless,
    Chrissy

The Lord has one hand around my shoulder and another over my mouth!:

Diabetic Type 1 for 40 years
    CKD 18 years, now in beginning of Stage 3

Re: Question about Dr. Mackenzie Walser's book

I have not tried it but I know alot of it.

This diet cuts all protein out of you diet (I think you are allowed 20mg) then you take amino-acid replacements. You cannot do this diet without them as all your cells in your body need it for building blocks. This is a very strict and hard diet to follow.

There are people on this very site that has had very good results on it and have been able to stay off dialysis for a long time.

If this is too hard for you a dietitian can assist you in a more "friendly" renal diet with a reduced protein, sodium , phosphate and potassium diet.

I am on a renal diet and it has helped my kidneys stay at GFR 21 for some time now.

Good luck.
    Please note: Any advice given is given from my own experience and not medical advice.

Hi Des,

Unfortunately I do not have a renal dietician. I did see a dietician a few years back but she told me I needed to increase my protein to 10 ounces a day (which I knew wasnít good for me!), so I didnít go back.

I am actually holding my own but wondered if this diet would prolong the kidney function as Dr. Walser seems to feel. As I said I have not read the book yet - just jumped to the 7 day menu to get a glimpse. I have a pretty good idea of what to eat and what not to eat with CKD, just wondered if this diet really helps. I believe that diet is such a big part of how we feel - I have just been so tired lately and wondered if it would also help my energy level. (My labs say my iron is ok - )

Thank you for answering me!

God Bless,
    Chrissy

The Lord has one hand around my shoulder and another over my mouth!:

Diabetic Type 1 for 40 years
    CKD 18 years, now in beginning of Stage 3

I think you should find a real dietition and follow a renal diet that is prescribed. Most Dialysis clinics have a dietition on their staff or have a consulting dietition The proper renal diet is very important in treating kidney disease

20g of protein was too low for me. I've seen others swear by it but I'll stick to my dieticians recommendations.

Hi Chrissy,
    Prayerfulmom, Des, and Bob all have good posts. I am on a renal diet. I have issues with the amount of protein that my nutritionist put me on, which resulted in back pain. I follow the renal diet that I have been placed on. I have however, adjusted my protein grams to a level that I am comfortable with along with taking amino acid supplements. If you choose to go low on your protein grams, you need to take amino acid supplements to give you the amount of protein that your body needs just to live. As Bob recommended, seeing a renal dietitian is a good place to start. The renal dietitian will look at your lab work, your weight and activity level to determine what is a good starting point for you. I was very tired and fatigued with no energy for a long time until I adjusted my protein grams and began taking amino acid supplements. Maybe the lack of protein in your diet is what is making you tired, but it could be other things as well. You have the right to see a renal dietitian or at the very least your hospital nutritionist. I had to strongly request from my general practitioner to get a referral to see a nutritionist. I wish I had enough knowledge back then to request to see a renal dietitian. Please for your own sake, see a renal dietitian. Make sure you have your latest lab work with you. I hope this helps. Good luck to you.

Smile Re: Question about Dr. Mackenzie Walser's book

Hi Crissy,
    Wendy is right about seeing a dietitian at a unit to suggest a renal diet for you, I learn earlier one some two decades ago, that everyone has a uniue renal diet, no one follows the renal diet quite like their fellow dialysis patients. Of course this means the renal diet can be quite complex, because your renal diet is determine by the nature of your CKD mainly, and their are other factors that contribute also, but like Wendy said and I second that, you should seek advice about a renal diet through a unit dietiitian. But here is some nutritional facts to start you off and maybe consider for your low protein diet: Of course meat, poultry and eggs are high biolgoical protein, meaning this protein is used more effectively by the body and creates fewer waste products, but of course you were told that you should lower your intake of protein - and that would be in the vegetables, legumes, nuts, bread and starches that you consume. If you could go online at xlibris.com, the bookstore and look up my book - My Renal LIfe - by Gloria Ann Jeff-Moore, you could leave me a message under Contact the Author - and maybe reveal your email address, I could talk to you more extensively about protein, because there is way too much to go into on this thread. Also check out my book at your leisure, you can read an excerpt and my author bio, in my book I talk about high and low biological protein and the effects of it, I have learned a great deal through the years about protein living on dialysis for almost two decades now.
    In the meantime Don't Let This Disease Control You, You Control The Disease" is my motto, I learned this the hardway, I'll tell you about it sometime.
    Best Regards,
    Glo

jeffmoore - I appreciate, and look forward to your posts, but what I have been wondering is....if you have been a ckd and dialysis patient for over two decades and have a lot of knowledge that can help us fellow patients, why don't you freely give it? Why do we all have to buy your book? I am not against you plugging and trying to sell your book, but there are plenty of people on here who cannot afford to purchase it and could really use this important, probably life saving information.

Quote Originally Posted by cmwirish View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have read several people have tried Dr. Walzer's low protein dier (Coping with Kidney Disease: A 12-Step Treatment Program to Help You Avoid Dialysis). I picked up the book yesterday and went straight to the 7 day menu - it looks awful! I also read the lists of foods with phosphorus and protein content and I see that he mentions several companies that make low phosphorous foods (cheese etc). Has anyone tried those? Can anyone who is following his guidelines tell me what you are actually eating?

I want to try this diet to delay any more loss of kidney function but I am not sure I can follow it.

Thanks in advance for any input!

God Bless,
    Hi,

I am on Dr. Walser's diet (thanks to this forum, and this thread
    http://www.davita.com/forum/showthre...t=3069&page=12 ) and - yes, I encourage everyone to do the same. My creatinine fell 0.4 points and my potassium went back to norm on this diet. It is not that hard to follow once you start doing it. Yes, book gives weird recipes, I just eat a lot of Asian food - Thai - I order vegetarian curry- no meat, no tofu, stri-fried veggies on rice, etc. The good thing - your potassium will go down on it, so you will be able to eat pretty much all veggies, including potatoes (and drinking orange juice). You can call Dr. Walser's followers - Calwood Nutritionals (and I am not advertising for them, but I honestly feel obligated to spread the good word), they sell aminoacids that you HAVE to take on Dr. Walser's diet, but they will also give you so much information about this diet and in general about kidney health, that nephorologists never give.

Question Re: Question about Dr. Mackenzie Walser's book

Hi,
    my daughter has been diagnosed with ESRD, she is only 24 and got married about a year ago. We are still in shock and absolutelly lost, terribly confused. Tomorrow we are going to meet a dietitian, I assume she specialize in renal patients because the nephrologists is the one who gave us her name. Anyways, I would appreciate if anybody can tell me anything that I should ask the dietitian. My daughter, Victoria, started to feel an intense pain on her right leg, about 2 days ago. It slowly progressed and now her leg has become stiff, numb, and the pain is relentless. Anyone has ever experienced anything like that? Can it be related to ESKD?
    Like I said, we are completely at lost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast