Subscribe to this Thread…

Thread: Lost dwell time

Lost dwell time

Can anyone tell me what to do to correct lost dwell time? My PD nurse dosen't seem to have any answers. I always have lost dwell and last night it was over an hour.

Re: Lost dwell time

Dave usually has lost dwell time every night. His machine compensates a 10 hour cycle according to how long it takes to fill and drain and if he has any alarms during those times it takes away from the dwell time. Sometimes when draining we end up bypassing so that's three alarms that it's going slower then it wants to so it takes that time away from the next dwell and so forth. I would think the only way to make up for lost dwell time would be to add more time to the program and I don't think they do that.

I'm on my machine right now and it's not letting me make any adjustments while it's running....so I guess you can't? My PD nurse told me that once you lose dwell time you can't get it back so try not to set any alarms. Are you setting a lot of alarms? What alarms are you setting?

Hi Hue, The alarms I get so "slow drain flow". I think that's the phrase. It's the only alarm I have ever got. The PD nurse said to try moving the machine higher or lower on the table to see if that helps any. She said to just experiment with the placement of the machine and the placement of my cath at night. Do you have any advice? Thanks,
    Judy

For Dave he finds he gets better drain flow on his right side, but not always necessary true. Some nights he has to get up and stand or it won't drain good. That thankfully only happens on the first drain. THis morning holy cow, he did a "Death roll" in bed and was totally tangled up in his line lol after he unrolled himself all was good.

Do you still have your manual that came with the machine? If you do, go to Section 5 "Starting your Therapy"--hopefully you have the same manual as me. It tells you to lower the machine by approximately 6 inches to increase the flow rate during drain. Also, do you have any pain when draining? My catheter seems to get clogged every few days with fibrin, so the pain usually wakes me up when it has a slow drain, but I guess not everyone gets drain pain like me, so I've heard. If it is slow all the time, maybe you have the same problem. Ask your PD nurse if she can give you Heparin to put in your solution bags, which should help dissolve whatever is clogging it. My exit site is on my left, but I agree with Vicky that I seem to get a better drain sleeping on my right side. I also stand up, especially on the final drain if I start getting pain or a slow drain. Try some of these ideas and let us know how it goes...Good luck

Thanks Hue, I must have the same manual as you. I'll try lowering my machine. I do have a little pain on the initial drain, but not much after that.

I have had lost dwell also & last nite it was a 2 hour lost dwell. This really upsets me & I fear so much I will have to return to hemo dilaysis. We already in ject heparin into the bags once a week as directed.
    "a true friend knows your weaknesses but shows you your strengths.,feels your fears but forrtifies your faith,sees your anxieties but frees your spirit & recognizes your disabilities but emphasizes your possibilities"

in center hemo awaiting cath placement for home PD
    Type 2 Diabetic
    Potassium/phosphate & protein restricted
    feeling stronger every day! :-)

Regarding the low drain volume, I get the alarm at least once or twice each night. With me it is positional. I stand or sit upright and the drain
    continues, correcting itself. I have tried repositioning the machine, but it was not effective. Only thing that seems to help is the repositioning.
    Someone suggested to me that using a recliner might eliminate the alarms sounding. Haven't resorted to that yet, as the repositioning seems to work.