Subscribe to this Thread…

Unhappy Losing weight on peritoneal dialysis

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have reduced my calorie intake to 1600, I have been trying to exercise, and I have stopped drinking soda. I am not a diabetic, but I do try to watch my carb and sugar intake. Since I started this change in my eating habits, I have gained several pounds, and my doctor seems confident it is not just fluid. I am eating more fruit and vegetables, less pre-packaged foods, and I am getting no where. My dietician said to keep doing what I am doing, but it's not working. HELP!

Re: Losing weight on peritoneal dialysis

maybe its a thiroid issue you may want to talk to your doc

Hi Wastedkidney,

Welcome to the forums. I speak only for myself here. I'm sure you're following your diet prescription a lot better than I did years ago. Anyway, about 10 years ago I was put on 1400 calories a day. Told to increase my fruits and veggies and cut back on protein and breads/carbs in general. I thought I was doing fine, until I got on a scale. I had put on 2 1/2 lbs. the first week When I sat down and went over my diet and then called my nutritionist I found I was way over-doing the fruit and veggies portions. I would have two huge apples and then a banana as a snack! When one small apple was what I should have had. I had cut my bread consumption down, from 8 slices a day to 6. That doesn't work, especially when you're still loading it up with marg/butter. I had to change my idea of what 'true' dieting was. I had to follow portions, and forget about supersizing anything, even fruit. Once I did and increased my exercise each day I started losing weight.

Maybe you need another go around with the nutritionist to make sure what you're doing is correct. It couldn't hurt....

Good luck,
    Pat

Hi Wastedkidney,
    Well it can be a bit of a challenge to lose weight on peritoneal dialysis but it can be done. One thing that you have to remember is that you are going to absorb a certain amount of the sugar in the solution but it shouldn't be too much of a barrier if you are determined... I know because I have dropped 30 lbs over the last year while on PD. One thing I might suggest is that you make sure you are correctly determining the amount you eat. Some people really have a hard time estimateing portions... I used a scale to be precise until I was able to correctly judge the amount of food on my plate. However the best aid was simply listing all my foods nce a day in the "MY Pyramid" tracker which will allow you to keep track of nutrients as well as calories.The bonus feature to that is that it also lets you determine how much exercise you should be taking which is a really important part of weight control.
    Good Luck I'm sure you will achieve your goals...half the battle is sicerely wanting to do it!