Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Re: More proof that the renal diet really works

Quote Originally Posted by Tonia View Post
    Hi Jo. Welcome to the forum! As I said in the above post, your diet should be based on your individual labs. Not all Drs. are gung ho about restrictions till things are really out of control. It's best to see a dietician, preferrably a renal one to help guide you. When I was first diagnosed, my GFR was 39 and I was told by all my Drs. that I could stay at that point for 10 to 20 yrs. After getting through the "shock stage" I decided to be more proactive with diet and lifestyle changes. Seeing a dietician was the best decision I made. It jumped started me into a healthier diet but I also learned how much of what foods I can have to help protect my kidneys. Now my GFR stays around 46. Getting copies of labs will help you keep an eye on things. Have you had ultrasounds done?

Toni
    Thank you for your advise Toni. I do have my labs. My gfr is 59 and my creatinine is 84 and 4% urine protien. I had my blood work done 3 times and it always came out to 59. The Dr. didnt say anything about an ultrasound, she said I have to come in twice a year for blood work and the 24 hour urine testing. When I go back I will ask about an ultrasound. What do they look for?
    Jo Zahn
    Jo Zahn
    CKD2 Newbee

Re: More proof that the renal diet really works

Hi Jo, With an ultrasound they can see if there is anything abnormal in the anatomy of the kidneys. Some people with ckd might have sm. thin, shrunken or very lg. kidneys. They also look at the renal arteries to make sure there is good blood flow. They basically can see if damage has been done. My Nephrologist used the ultrasound to help confirm the diagnosis. My situation was a little different because my kidney function loss was acute (sudden) in the beginning.

Take care, Toni
    May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
    Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

Smile Re: More proof that the renal diet really works

Quote Originally Posted by Jo Zahn View Post
    Thank you for your advise Toni. I do have my labs. My gfr is 59 and my creatinine is 84 and 4% urine protien. I had my blood work done 3 times and it always came out to 59. The Dr. didnt say anything about an ultrasound, she said I have to come in twice a year for blood work and the 24 hour urine testing. When I go back I will ask about an ultrasound. What do they look for?
    Jo Zahn
    When they did my ultrasound they found out that both of my kidneys were very small (about the size they would have been when I was 3 and I was 19) so it can be very helpful in determining what's going on. I was down to a gfr of 3 at that time...I had a transplant 2 years later and here we are almost 23 years after that and even tho my gfr is hovering around 20 I am still a very happy camper! : 3

Where do you find the renal diet?

Quote Originally Posted by wwalder View Post
    Where do you find the renal diet?
    There is some information from the National Institutes of Health here:
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/002442.htm

and an excellent online nutrient analyzer for renal diet here:
    http://health-diet.us/renaldiet/

Can the renal diet work in stage 5?

did your doctor give you certain daily alottments of sodium , potassium,phosphorus,protein? If so what were they. We were originally given numbers for my father and now 2 months later we were told we don't have to count millgrams of each and just stick to low and medium levels of potassium , phosphorus and sodium foods. confused !!!

Any word from WRWagner lately?

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021