Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

More proof that the renal diet really works

Hi all, I just got my all my test results back. My GFR is stable at 54 (it was 59 five months ago) and all my other numbers are within normal range. I can attribute all this to being on the renal diet. I went on the renal diet the moment I was diagnosed and have been following this diet religiously every day.

I thank the Lord for giving me another chance and I thank you all for the information that you have shared and for the renal diet. I am doing so well that I don't have to test again for a year! I am still at Stage 3, High end even! I plan on sticking with the renal diet, hopefully in a year I can report the same news. I did ask my doctor if there was any chance that I had an acute kidney reaction and he said no.

Thanks again to everyone in helping me learn about this thing, CKD. I know that there is a lot more to learn and share, I plan on taking this gift seriously.

Re: More proof that the renal diet really works

Wendy that is great news! So happy for you. How are you feeling??

I got my lab results back too but they didn't tell mwhat my GFR is. I 'm not sure if they use the creatinine from the urine or the serum creatinine to figure the gfr.

Hi TwinMom, I am feeling great! What a big difference from last August when this thing hit. I think I would like to try working again. I miss working. I don't know yet what I am going to try. I do know that I don't want to take life too seriously any more.

Did your doctor specifically ask for the test on the lab sheet? I did both urine (24-hour test) and blood work for my GFR calculation. I don't know the magic combination, maybe chefnancy or cassie might know. I am going to stay on the renal diet for at least one more year, until I get tested again. I don't want to go on dialysis.

Let me know what your numbers are once you find out. I am interested.

Yes, I did the 24 hr. urine and the blood test too. He was testing the amount of protein in the urine, which decreased from last time from 420 mg to 200mg. So I was happy about that. The serum cratinine was .79 and the Urine(lack of better term)creatinine was 1.08. So I don't really know what GFR that would be.

There is a GFR calculator that you can access from the home page of this site. You plug in your test numbers, your age, sex, and race (it differs for different races) and it will help you calculate your GFR. With those kinds of creatinine numbers you should be in pretty good shape.
    To the stars through difficulty!

I looked on my lab sheets my creatinine was 1.08 too! Which calculated to a GFR of 54.

Like chefnancy said, we should be good for awhile, hopefully for a long while!

TwinMom, are you going to stay on your renal diet?

Wendy, congratulations!! That is great news.

Wendy,

I am on what I call a VERY modified renal diet. I only limit sodium and protein to around 35 gm per day. I don't really limit phosphorus, but do try to stay away from dairy products. So,I don't really know if you would call that a renal diet or not. I will continue on that track. Are you limiting phosphorus and potassium as well Wendy?

YAY!!! That is wonderful Wendy!!! I am so happy for you. You take care of yourself, you are doing great!!!

Thanks everyone! I could not have done this without all of your help!

TwinMom, I would say you are on a renal type diet. Yes, by advice of the nutritionist I am limiting my phosphorous and potassium as well. I need to really watch my potassium levels because I have a quirky heart. At times my heart seems to have a mind of its own. Thanks for the sodium reminder! I had a Wegman's sandwich today and it was loaded with sodium, my bladder is not too happy at the moment. My protein is around 30 mg a day.

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast