Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Showering with a line what do you use. What is easy or convenient ?

Hi,
    not too sure where to post this, but it seems to be the most popular section!

I have a line right now and am not supposed to get that wet at all.
    I was wondering what can you use to keep your chest area dry when you take a shower.

So far I've tried ziplok bags and waterproof tape and it works ok, but my bathroom is very humid so its still not that great.

I've tried plastic wrap before and that was ok to, but just a real mess to work with and so time consuming.

The hospital hasn't given me any dressings to try and use or any advise so I'm just trying to see what other people do.
    No one I've seen that has a line has given me any advise and I'd feel akward trying to ask.

My mother was asking me if there was something made of plastic or rubber that would take less time to apply.

Is there also anything that is reuseable and affordable?
    Where i live the 1" waterproof tape is $11 for a 5" roll and it is the only size the stores and medical supply places sell.

Hopefully I can get a few suggestions or ideas, if not I might actually think of inventing something and having it made- even though that would be quite pricey.....

Re: Showering with a line what do you use. What is easy or convenient ?

I've heard some people say they use an ostomy bag when they go swimming. As for showering, Dave was told not to shower after surgery until after he had the bandages removed and his PD nurse got to check the site to avoid any chance of infection. the last thing you want is peritonitis. I would avoid showering if you're not supposed to be doing it. The handiwipes you get for baby clean up are great, and they also make a "Bath in a bag" type deal you can find at most pharmacies. Be safe please don't take the chance of infection.

Ottawagirl,
    Check out 'www.korshield.com' . They have a shower 'cape' that can be custom fitted to your neck to keep your central catheter dry. 'Angieskidney' posted this information on the 'I Hate Dialysis' message board in 2006. I googled it and the site is still up so it should still be available. Otherwise the only thing I know of is to cover the site with something like tegaderm. Hope you find a workable solution.
    Ginger

I tried to call the Korsheild phone number and it is out of service.

But I did just find this website for waterproof dressings. They have an ostomy cover which looks like it would be the right size of dressing if you are a small enough person.

Their phone # does work and it turns out their product is distributed in my city also
    I'm going to try and go buy one this week.

The cape idea sounds ok, but the website for Drypro says you can swim with it. I would love to attempt that or at least try and take a somewhat "normal" shower.

I guess for this week I'll have to keep on fussing with tape and plastic to bathe and shower though.

http://store.drycorp.com/default.asp

Thanks Ottowagirl for posting that information about the waterproof coverings! IThe ostomy covering looks like it would be useful for me. I have been looking for a way to enjoy a little bit of water fun this summer. I'll run it by my neph and PD nurses to get their feedback.

When I had a catheter I took a kitchen size garbage bag and cut a hole in one corner of the closed end for my arm to go through. I cut away about half the width of the bag and cut a slit to accommodate my neck and then cut it off to the length that I needed. I put the bag on and use clear packaging tape to adhere it to my body all around so no water could touch the catheter. That worked pretty well, but it was time consuming. The tape was also pretty irritating to my skin.
    To the stars through difficulty!

Instead of using a garbage bag I have some thicker clear plastic bags I got when I ordered some clothing and I am also using that with waterproof tape.

I tried the store brand waterproof tape and it sucks!
    I'm using Johnson & Johnson waterproof tape, only thing is in Canada is is $10 for a 1" x 5 feet roll.
    But I saw amazon in the US, they have 4 rolls for $10 so family is sending me what i ordered for now.

I just find all the taping and fussing with plastic so time consuming, hopefully I'll be able to enjoy some swimming or just splashing about this summer.

I'm not going to try asking my doctor what activities I can and can't do.
    I've tried that before and always get the answer that "people on dialysis should only do some walking and that's it".

I already tried to tell the medical people I wanted to compete in inline skating and they didn't beleive me.
    (you actually have to take a lot of lessons before even competing and always use safety equipment, so it's very safe).
    Ypu're actually not even allowed to go fast until you can do all the proper stops, posture ect, so in 3 years have never seen anyone hurt.....

I'm curious as to what other people's doctors will say about this.......

As long as you have a catheter, swimming is out. I imagine the skating would be, also, because of the danger of dislodging the catheter during a fall or falling directly on the catheter.
    To the stars through difficulty!

I will tell you my story and then you can decide. "They" told me not to take a shower since I had a Porta Cath in my chest. It was a cathriter. and it was covered with tecaderm a clear plastic shield that glued down all around. the nurse that put it on always had it well sealed all around the cathriter. but one day I had a different techy who left one side open for ventilation or so she said later. and that night I went to take my shower but I turned my back to the water so it wouldn't get on my chest but apparantly water must of got in and it was on a weekend and Monday morning really early I got up in the middle of the night and I was in pain from that cathriter my first thought was I should go to the ER but then I thought well I will have dialysis and they will tell me what to do. Well they didn't tell me anything and I thought well they aren't that concerned I guess it is nothing. but I told them not to use that cathritor but instead use the new graft that I had put in my arm a few weeks 2 weeks back. and so they used my new graft in my upper left arm. So Tuesday morning I woke up and the pain was worse and I was running a fever so I called my wife at work and told her that I was going to go to the ER and when I got there the pain/fever was already spiking. It was so high that I had to be packed in ice. I was incoherant I couldn't answer simple questions. the offending cath was pulled out. I was in the hospital for 6-7 days. I had a blood infection that went to my brain, heart, lungs. I had to have a MRI to make sure that I hadn't had a stroke, I had to have dopular ultra sound done on my heart to make sure that the heart valves weren't damaged. I had to have a pet scan done to my lungs to check for damages that was one expensive trip to the hospital the bill was $28,000. so if you have a lot of money that you don't know what to do with just keep taking those showers and water ski. I was one sick puppy for a whole week with a terrific headache and a terrific fever. I was burning up with a fever and people complained when they came in to my room that it was too cold. and I said don't mess with the thermostat because I like it cold. I would sit up at night with my back to the a/c vent letting the cold air hit me in the back and it felt good and I prayed to God what did I do to get this? and He seemed to bring to my mind the saying that I had a big friend at home and all I needed was the small friend and I could finish the job. So I don't say those things anymore. I just pray to God when I feel depressed. And I appologised to my wife and daughter for saying such a thing and they told me that they were going to get rid of that gun a rifle a 30-30 winchester lever action rifle. I only took it hunting once and didn't hit anything. Didn't see anything either. well anyway back to the story. I don't have any cathriters had three altogether but they have been pulled all I have now is the one graft in the upper left arm that is my life line and everyday I listen to the trill several times a day. I feel it with my right hand and at night I try to start the night out lying on my right side with the left arm on top and I can put my left upper arm against my left ear and I can hear the thrummm thrummm thrummm and that is music to my ear. Wendell

So, lectropet you were showering without putting anything else on your dressing if that's what i correctly understand?
    Your post confused me a bit...

"It was a cathriter. and it was covered with tecaderm a clear plastic shield that glued down all around. the nurse that put it on always had it well sealed all around the cathriter. but one day I had a different techy who left one side open for ventilation or so she said later. and that night I went to take my shower but I turned my back to the water so it wouldn't get on my chest but apparantly water must of got in and it was on a weekend "

Sound like you didn't cover the dressing with anything else.
    I've always been careful to use waterproof tape- even for baths and never had any problems.
    i've tried shwoeng in the hospital with a line in my leg and was fne, no problems there- it was actually suggested to me to ue tape and plastic cover line on my leg when i shower.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast