Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New to Peritoneal Dialysis

Hi,

Yesterday was the first time on this forum. I must say that I am very happy that I found this site. The information that I received was very informative. I appreciate everyone’s support.

My situation is that my mother was told last month that she should begin dialysis. We are trying to delay this as long as possible. Her creatinine is 5.7 and her GFR is 7.1. We are getting a blood test every week to monitor her condition. She is physically well except for her itchiness and lack of appetite. We are closely watching for any new symptoms. We are not sure how long we could delay dialysis.

My mother will be 90 years old next month. She is scared at the prospect of dialysis. She is a complainer and could not endure pain. We want to encourage her by telling her that she will feel better but we are not sure if this is true. We read that the catheter maybe painful, she may feel bloated, she may get infections, and she may not even feel better. We also read that she is at high risk due to her age and she is diabetic. Additionally, we read that she has a 50:50 chance of living for a year. We are not sure she should endure this pain if it would not help her.

We have so many difficult decisions and concerns.
    - Should we do dialysis
    - When to begin dialysis
    - Hemo vs peritoneal
    - CAPD vs APD
    - What to do if something goes wrong during PD

We would appreciate any insights and advice. Please describe your experiences. Thanks.

Re: New to Peritoneal Dialysis

She certainly seems to be coming to the point of an inevitable decision. I don't know how to advise you except to say that PD is pretty gentle on the body for most people and most people DO feel better after a time on dialysis, regardless of the modality. If she hates pain, PD is probably the better bet for her. There is a "modality picker" available from the home page of this site. That might help you a lot.
    To the stars through difficulty!

I think it all boils down to other health problems. 90 is an amazing age to be... I've saw some people at that age still walking and doing yard work or even cooking. In my opinion, PD is great for starters, but the best advice you can get is from her Dr.....if she gots great veins and can get a fistula placed then homehemo is also quite good choice. The reason I say homehemo is so that she can get her nice warm baths/showers like most folks like. With PD its hard enjoying to get wet unless the Doc advices getting the PD cathetor wet. For the most part find out what she really wants, help her educate herself about her options and even show her videos of real people doing home dialysis,,,just visit my blog site and you will see a bunch of videos of people all over the nation doing home dialysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Gustine View Post
    I think it all boils down to other health problems. 90 is an amazing age to be... I've saw some people at that age still walking and doing yard work or even cooking. In my opinion, PD is great for starters, but the best advice you can get is from her Dr.....if she gots great veins and can get a fistula placed then homehemo is also quite good choice. The reason I say homehemo is so that she can get her nice warm baths/showers like most folks like. With PD its hard enjoying to get wet unless the Doc advices getting the PD cathetor wet. For the most part find out what she really wants, help her educate herself about her options and even show her videos of real people doing home dialysis,,,just visit my blog site and you will see a bunch of videos of people all over the nation doing home dialysis.
    Question??? Can you not take a shower with the PD cath?? I thought you could.

Thanks....

Its a nono, but some people do....especially people who have the cathetor placed higher near the chest.........they just cover it with saran wrap and tape it.

Quote Originally Posted by phyl View Post

Thanks....

Quote Originally Posted by phyl View Post

Thanks....
    Actually, unless your doctor specifically says you cannot shower, it is fine to do so with a PD catheter. I did need to do the sponge bath thing for a week following the initial catheter placement, but now take a shower every day. It is really more a matter of soaking vs. simply getting wet.

Of course, different people have different situations, including where the catheter is placed, history of infections, etc. So, everyone needs to check with their medical team. I know of some docs who are OK with swimming in the Ocean, as well. Again, it depends on your doc and your situation.

Thanks, in my class they said it was OK to shower and swim in the ocean. But I am sure each person needs to follow their Dr.'s orders and we are all different.

for my husband after he has his PD cath placed, just below his belly button, it was no shower until we went back to the see the doctor so that everything healed as best it could.After that it's shower whenever, just start from the top down, and wash from around the cath site out not in towards it. Make sure you dry it well and you're good to go.

Our PD nurse actually told us that he could go swimming in a chlorinated pool for about 20 minutes then shower and get it dried off really good. The reason for not swimming too long is you get that dish pan hands looks and it can manifest infection around the cath site. so swim, shower, then triple antibiotic ointment. She said saunas are perfectly fine because it helps draw fluid out and it's not like being in a pool. Avoid hot springs, stagnant water, rivers (because of microscopic parasites that can get in the cath and to the stomach) unchlorinated water sources to swim in.

I was on home diaysis for almost a year. It worked really well for me until I caught a really bad infection. I think PD would work really well for her since she can't handle pain. She will feel so much better after she starts, I promise! You just have to make sure your hands are very clean and that the cath site is very clean. You can take a shower, but they say to bleach the shower head once a month to clean the bacteria that builds up. You will have to go to training for at least two weeks. They will tell you everything you need to know and give you a book to take home. I would do the PD that goes through the night. A machine does all the work, it's done while you sleep and you have all day to do whatever you want. If you do the other way, you have to do 3 or 4 treatments a day and basically stay home the whole time. Fluid dwells in the abdomen for a few hours and then drains and then fills back up. So, if you did this during the day, she might feel a little uncomfortable. Your tummy fills up and you feel like you just ate too much food! I hope this helps you out. Fell free to ask me anuthing you'd like!

Question for those that are doing PD: How much excess fluid do you usually pull in a day? I'm only pulling about 400mL with 3 yellow and 1 green bag. I don't have any swelling and blood pressure is fine and I still urinate quite a bit. My first week on dialysis I was pulling 1300--800mL on all yellow bags. I'm really hoping that I don't have to start using too many green bags. Is this amount normal?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast