Subscribe to this Thread…

Where to find low protein bread/low phosphorus baking products & oatmeal?

Is there a place to buy low protein bread, etc. or do you have to make it yourself? If so, where do you find low phosphorus baking products or low phosphorus oatmeal?

Re: Where to find low protein bread/low phosphorus baking products & oatmeal?

Unless you buy high gluten bread, bread is naturally low in protein. The lowest phosphorous commercially prepared breads are white, light rye and sourdough varieties.
    Home baked products are normally a lot lower in phosphorous because most commercial baked goods (bread, cookies, cakes, buns, etc.) have phosphorous based preservatives and many commercial bakeries use a special baking powder that is high in phosphoric acid. The best course, unless you are fond of bread baking, is to choose a white, light rye or sourdough bread for your normal uses but to home bake (no mixes because the mixes have the same stuff in them) cookies, cakes, and similar items. There is no such thing as low phosphorous oatmeal.
    To the stars through difficulty!

Instead of oatmeal, try creal of wheat.
    May God have mercy on us all

CK

Idiopathic globular membranous nephritis 1999-2006
    Feb 2006 Dx about 1-2 yrs before dialysis. Dialysis start 6-2006
    Chest Cath 4 mos in center hemo dialysis
    Fistula, button holes, self stick days 07-09 in center hemo
    Graft nocturnal hemo 4Q09 to present

Just yesterday I got the book someone mentioned here a couple of weeks ago. Coping With Kidney Disease by Mackenzie Walser M.D. a professor from John Hopkins.

He offers a low-protein bread recipe that uses Loprofin Baking Mix. Here's one site where I found the Loprofin. I haven't looked further yet at the other sites in the search engine.

http://www.shsna.com/pages/loprofin.htm

At the bottom of the page you'll find the nutritional info. It looks to me like most of it is low in potassium and phosphorus. A couple of drinks listed had a higher potassium value. I haven't found the prices yet. LOL!

Other sites he mentions in the book, but I have not looked at yet are:

www.cambrookefoods.com 508-601-1640
    www.dietspec.com 888-MENU-123
    www.ener-g.com 888-331-5222
    www.med-diet.com 800-633-5550

Oh, in reading further, he does mention the above site owned by Scientific Hospital Supplies. That's the first one listed (that I found in a search engine LOL) Phone - 888-LOPROGO

No this is not spam. Just now searching out all these things myself and know nothing about any of them. Perhaps we can learn together.

edit:
    Finally found a price on the Loprofin. $5.45 for a 500 gram box. I have no idea how big that box is, I'll have to look it up. Or $72 for a case of 18. I just looked back at the recipe in the book. It takes a whole 500 grams to make one 2 pound loaf. Wow! That's a bit expensive for one loaf of bread.

Is it ok to use Pillsbury Sugar cookie dough?

I usually make my christmas cookies with pillsbury sugar cooking dough. Since I am now reading labels before I purchase items, I noticed that there is a fair amount of sodium in the cookies. Does anyone have a good sugar cookie recipe? I tried Land o' Lakes recipe and my husband did not like it. I did not like it either.

I make my own bread, using a bread machine. Normally bread machines can be expensive fifty dollars or more, but you can find ones at thrifts stores for around eleven to fifteen dollars. (People give them as gifts and don't use them I guess). Here is the recipe I use. It's a french bread recipe so it contains no milk and makes a 2lb loaf. This usually lasts me a week.

1 1/2 Cup water
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp oil (I use olive)
    1 tsp sugar
    2 tsp fast rise yeast or 1 tbsp of regular yeast.
    4 cups of white flower.( remember don't use whole grain)

You'll have to find out was setting it is on your bread machine, on mine it is the French Bread setting.

It has about 72mg of sodium per 1 oz slice and 22mg of Potassium. I'm not sure on the phosphorous, but it can't be too high since there's no dairy in it.

Not for those of us with kidney disease, Christopher1. No whole grains, as much as we would love to eat them, they are a no-no for us.

Cassie, for the price you have given for loprofin baking mix, what is the web site or phone number. Best i can find is $6 per 500 oz box. Thanks for any reply. Aquaman