Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

coffee or no coffee

Hello Friends,
    I am using the Davita diet menus for pre dialysis kidney disease (stage three). In the breakfast menus, most call for 4 ounces of coffee at breakfast. Do you think coffee is hard on kidneys when following the pre dialysis diet? I know fluid must be carefully watched while on dialysis. I drink 4 ounces of cranberry juice each morning but also drink two or three coffees during the early morning hours. Is this important to cut back on my coffee drinking? Thanks, Nan

Cool Well....

Coffee isn't bad, fluids are if you are not passing urine and have to limit your intake of fluids. I pee alot and drink coffee all day and most of the night.
    " GO AHEAD, MAKE MY DAY"-Dirty Harry

(fspencer@bak.rr.com)

Same old argument...some say it's good, some say it's bad. I don't see any problems with it. I don't drink much of it anymore mainly because I live alone and I'm too damned lazy to fix a pot for one or two cups.
    Whatever does not kill me makes me stronger...Neitzsche
    Flip

Cool I too am LAZY....

Quote Originally Posted by flipw View Post
    Same old argument...some say it's good, some say it's bad. I don't see any problems with it. I don't drink much of it anymore mainly because I live alone and I'm too damned lazy to fix a pot for one or two cups.
    I fell in love with the Folgers Coffe Singles. they are like a tea bag. I stick 'em in my coffee mug full of water, put in the microwave for 3 min. or so( depends on cup size.....of the coffee cup) and there you go. Use them all the time when we went camping, now that's the only way i do it here at home.

Another helpful hint from Pancho the homemaker. free of charge at no cost to you.

I AM Pancho and I approved this message.
    " GO AHEAD, MAKE MY DAY"-Dirty Harry

(fspencer@bak.rr.com)

Coffee in moderation is not bad for the kidneys. However, the reason (I think) that the DaVita diets restrict you to 4 oz. is that they assume you are on fluid restriction. In that case, you wouldn't want to take up half your day's fluid allowance with coffee!
    To the stars through difficulty!

Chef Nancy is correct.
    The reason for limiting coffee or tea in DaVita Diet helper breakfast menus is so the nutrition count is correct for people following a fluid restriction. If you are not on a fluid restriction, a whole cup of coffee is ok--115 mg potassium, 8 mg phosphorus.

If you drink lots of coffee, especially strong coffee the potassium could add up and create problems if a low potassium diet is prescribed.

I hadn't thought of that. I seldom drink coffee and when I do it is only one cup, so I don't much worry about the nutritional values.
    To the stars through difficulty!

Re: coffee or no coffee

I thought it was the cream you put in the coffee that was the problem - the sheet the dietician gave me said to avoid "coffee drinks with milk"... so I thought that was like cappacino, or latte's or those starbucks things in the little bottles... I drink one cup of coffee in the morning and it's decaf.

I never use cream anymore. I use Mocha mix or a non-dairy creamer like coffee mate.

Hi Earthsong, a regular cup 8 ozs of coffee has about 7.1 grams of Phosphorus and 116 grams of Potassium and an 8 ozs cup of decaf has 2.4 grams of Phosphorus and 128 grams of Potassium. So if you add milk that will raise the numbers. I have one cup of regular black coffee nothing added, no milk or sugar, and I do count the grams of phosphorus and potassium in my daily food log.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast