Subscribe to this Thread…

Cool Wireless Internet....

Just a quickie.

Took my laptop to dialysis for the first time since they got wireless and went to listen to my Sirius satellite site but was restricted by DaVita's web settings so I was bummed.

E-mailed their Chief Web Engineer the next day and he told me it was a restrcted site due to the fact it is a "Streaming Audio" site and uses too much bandwidth and that it could interfere with the staff computers' capabilities and speed.

He e-mailed me back and asked what time I go in and I told him I am usually there from 4:45 PM to 7:45 PM and he said that he might be able to allow this site.

tried it last nite and got to listen to my satellite radio site all night.

I just thought it was cool of him to go above and beyond to make one simple person a little happier on dialysis.
    " GO AHEAD, MAKE MY DAY"-Dirty Harry

(fspencer@bak.rr.com)

Wow, that's so cool! Its awesome to hear your Davita clinic really supported you. Sadly, I spent all my in-center years without wireless, they simply wouldn't offer it to us patients.

Quote Originally Posted by Pancho3 View Post
    Just a quickie.

Took my laptop to dialysis for the first time since they got wireless and went to listen to my Sirius satellite site but was restricted by DaVita's web settings so I was bummed.

E-mailed their Chief Web Engineer the next day and he told me it was a restrcted site due to the fact it is a "Streaming Audio" site and uses too much bandwidth and that it could interfere with the staff computers' capabilities and speed.

He e-mailed me back and asked what time I go in and I told him I am usually there from 4:45 PM to 7:45 PM and he said that he might be able to allow this site.

I just thought it was cool of him to go above and beyond to make one simple person a little happier on dialysis.

Cool Ask and you.........

shall receive.

I started lobbying from day one, Halloween of 2006, to get wireless access and they finally did about 6 mos ago. B4 the unit was bought out by DaVita.

Now I am working on individual mini Flat Screen T.V.s for each station. Right now two stations have to share a 19" "old school" TV from across the room. About 20+ feet away.

I love sports but on these little TV's so far away you cannot even read the score or see where the football is in a game, much less see what number is on a car in a NASCAR race. So there is a need. I hope they get the show on the road B4 monday Nite Football starts.

For the most part, it's a good unit. The only issue I have is getting the nurses and techs to understand that a dialysis unit should be a gentle, relaxing place of peace and quiet.
    I have gone "rounds" with the administrators to train the young techs in the finer art of customer service and to get them to quit being so loud. they think they are in a night club or something the way they carry on.

I blame the charge nurse for turning a deaf ear on how loud they are. I think they are short staffed and worried about losing someone by making them behave themselves and use their " inside voices". So worried that i think it is a classic case of the tail wagging the dog.

I will get it straightened out, I am pretty good at negotiating my way to a positive result.

(fspencer@bak.rr.com)

Wireless Internet

because Wireless is an object.

But really, I only recommend it if you are using it for internet use. For gaming, its unusable.

Re: Wireless Internet....

I'm thinking about asking also. I can't believe the wifi at DaVita is so restrictive. That answer about bandwidth that the OP was given does not really make that much sense. I know that the wifi at the nearby hospital has some restriction on the useage but at least youtube and other streaming video is still possible. Anyhow this is my first post and happy new year to all from Houston, Texas!

Cool Re: Wireless Internet....

Got the wireless, have since gotten individual flat screen TV's for each station....life is good. going to watch bowl games at dialysis tonight.

If you have any problems with getting what you need...contact me with your dialysis center location, phone number, etc and i will intervene to see if i can help you out.

Nothing ventured...nothing gained.

(fspencer@bak.rr.com)

Hey, you should check out my company's website: www.worldkidneynetwork.com . We help people who are waiting for a kidney transplant. Also, we have a cause page on Facebook that you should join to help heighten awareness: http://apps.facebook.com/causes/375724/91639898

Quote Originally Posted by Pancho3 View Post
    Just a quickie.

Quote Originally Posted by LindseyNephrologica View Post
    Hey, you should check out my company's website: www.worldkidneynetwork.com . We help people who are waiting for a kidney transplant. Also, we have a cause page on Facebook that you should join to help heighten awareness: http://apps.facebook.com/causes/375724/91639898
    Umm.. I know you are a real person and not a bot but you seem to only be posting here to advertise your site. I saw your last 2 posts and am starting to think that you are only here for one thing. It kinda ruins your reputation if you resort to spamming medical forums. Sorry if I offended you.
    Angie
    Kidney Korner Dialysis Ethics Forum Kidney Pix Awareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
    I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011

• Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
    • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
    • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present