Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Dialysis on cruise ships

Hello,
    I am about to begin dialysis, I think I will be doing in center dialysis. Our family is planning a cruise for next summer. Will I be able to go? Can I miss a day or two or do the cruise ship have dialysis?

There are cruises that have dialysis. Tou can find them at www.dialysisatsea.com. The cost is about $500 per treatment. Medicare won't pay but some private insurance companies will.
    Whatever does not kill me makes me stronger...Neitzsche
    Flip

I'm going

My mother is taking me on a "Dialysis at Sea" cruise in December. Its a 9-day cruise to Mexico. Actually, it's a care-giver get away. We have been taking care of my Dad for the last 4.5 years when he was in a assisted living ++ facility. Just look up what Flip mentioned. More later - my mother has the brochure.

We looked at doing a Dialysis at Sea cruise.
    It sounds incredible, they can do dialysis and there is a special menu and everything.
    It is pretty expensive and out of our budget, but if you can swing it I think it would be awesome.

I think for the dialysis at sea you have to pay the full price for your cruise. For 2 people also I think- even if u are going by yourself.
    I don't think I'd go myself as I'm not much of a boat person.

But I did see in Florida they have 2 and 3 day cruises for $200-300 and you go to the Caribean, sleep on the boat one night or maybe 2, then come back to Florida!
    I would like to try that as it is short enough that I wouldn't be bored

Re: Dialysis on cruise ships

If anyone is interested in a dialysis cruise, you should contact you travel agent. They can provide all the neccessary information you will need.

I was a dialysis patient with Davita in Lumberton, NJ. I did PD. I am also, a travel agent. I received my kidney transplant April 21, 2009.

Chawviv's Tour & Travel, Inc
    Darryl Murphy
    Travel Consultant
    611 Berkeley Drive
    Browns Mills, NJ 08015
    Office: 609-735-0008
    Fax: 609-997-0745
    Email: cttincorp@comcast.net

Home Dialysis at Sea

Denise and others,

There is an upcoming Cruise on January 3, 2010 called Dialysis at Sea, 2010 Freedom Cruise. This is for NxStage patients and caregivers. The Cruise is on the Carnival Valor and will be a 7 day Western Caribbean Cruise
    There is already a large group signedup to go. There are a certain amount of camins that have been reserved. The more that sign up, the less the cabins and upgreades cost. For more information for the cruise, go to the following link http://www.nxstageusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6
    Another reason to choose NxStage. You can Travel - Even on a Cruise Ship.

HH

Hello everyone, just to let you know that dialysis on-board cruise ships is also available across Europe including departures from the UK. The price of a dialysis session in Europe is around 280 euro's.

However this may be a lot cheaper if your taking a holiday on land and wish to use the services of, for example the NHS in the UK. I have clients from all over the world that find European based holiday treatment a lot more straight forward to access and facilitate than it would normally be in the US.

If your organising your own trip and find you are struggling with the paperwork drop me a line and I will be happy to lend a hand, (workload permitting)!

Regards

Lisa Parnell
    www.dialysisholidays.co.uk

Beware: Dialysis @ Sea is incredibly expensive!! You didn't mention the itinerary, but when we went to the Southern Caribbean, we traveled on Royal Caribbean (no dialysis on board). However, with some research & help from the social worker I was able to have my dialysis scheduled on different islands. The boat usually docks by 7 or 8am and I would go directly from the boat to the dialysis center. After my treatment, I still had time to go to the beach or walk around and enjoy the island before we got on the boat to leave.

Hi Xmasqueen,

Can you tell me what Islands you visited? My father is 82, and just began dialysis. He was soooooooo reluctant but had no choice when all failed in December 2012. He's adjusting well, and responding well, for a man his age. Hearing about the dialysis-at-sea was encouraging, as we traveled a lot in the last 20 years. Each year lately, he was less able to travel. Dialysis has given him a new lease on life, and now we're ready to go. Just some additional information about your experience, "offshore", please?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast