Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Getting Full Disability On Dialysis

Just wondering how hard is it to get full disability when you start dialysis ..i am fixing to have to be on PD ..Going to have a Port put in on July22 and wondering if anyone has had troube with SOCIAL SECURITY getting disability..please let me know..thanks

no problem....it's almost automatic
    Whatever does not kill me makes me stronger...Neitzsche
    Flip

Just wondering if no problem getting disabilily what would you say be the my first step after i get my port in..

I didn't have any problems. The social worker at the dialysis center can get it all set up and done for you, except I think you have to go to an appt with Social Security, but yeah, what flip said. It's pretty much automatic.
    Shannon
    KidneyFun // Kidney Korner // Organ donation awareness products!
    If the world didn't suck...........We'd all fall off!

Actually, you can go to www.ssa.gov and complete the application. They will then call you for a telephone interview. You may have to go for an examination by an independent dr., but once you are on dialysis, you are by definition qualified for Medicare. You are also supposed to qualify automatically for full disability, but if the examiner believes that you can do some sort of work they may hang you up. I have many years of education, so I have been fighting them for years. They believe that I should be able to get some kind of sedentary work part time and so will only give me partial disability. I am appealing it, but the courts are so clogged up that I cannot get a hearing until January, 2010. However, I think most dialysis patients don't have much trouble getting both Medicare and disability payments.
    To the stars through difficulty!

Medicare disability

Hello. I applied for disability at the beginning of May. I will receive my first check July 17th. My social worker gave me incorrect information when she said it would be back-dated to the day I applied. It wasn't and may never be. In fact, one person at SSA was trying to get me back-dated to December when I was first diagnosed and had to give up working (as a freelance practitioner, I don't get paid if I don't work and have no employer compensation/payment, i.e. I was not receiving anything and was really hoping for pro-rated disability.) I am appealing the start time of my disability--not sure how it will go, but either way, the wait time for disability to start is usually about 3 months after you apply--in New York anyway. My time was a little shorter but it is best to apply asap as others have suggested too.

Your checks don't actually start until the 6th month after you become disabled.
    Flip

Hi everyone,

I was not aware that disability was an automatic thing. Medicare, yes, but disability? Just because you do dialysis doesn't mean you can't work. I had a mountain of paperwork to do, my transplant doctor had to fill out paperwork as well. The unit social worker was not involved at all in the disability portion. Getting off disability is even more of a nightmare. I tried to drop it last year and was accused of possiblity defrauding the government because I wanted off. After months of dealing with the government, I was told to stay on it. For some stupid reason I am trying to get off it again this year and have endured mountains of paperwork and a ridiculous physical where they pulled on my arms and legs and asked me why I thought I couldn't work full-time. Now mind you, I am trying to get off of it. The outcome is yet to be determined. Yes, I was also told I would be back-paid but that was a hollow comment. I had to work for six months at the allowed amount of hours (1/2 my normal hours) and the period came during the Christmas season. Nothing is easy with the government and nothing appears to be the same in various regions even though it should be. Investigate it well.
    "Within every adversity lies a slumbering possibility"
    Linda
    Tx: 7/28/2005
    St. Louis University Hospital

I actually did my application online, then did a phone interview and that was it. I did have to go into the office to do the Medicare paperwork.
    Flip

I've been on disabilty 3x now. I had more problems getting my Dr. to fill out he paperwork correctly. I never have used SSI funds. Cali SSI for now. No problems yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast