Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I Need To Know A Few Thing's

Hello there my name is Kathy and I would like to know a few things about dialysis. Number one how high does your creatinine go before they put you on dialysis. and does your skin itch until it drives you crazy. and why do you get sick to your stomach all the time and when will I start to feel better. Will some of this stop when dialysis start's. Please tell me what you think
    Your Dialysis Friend
    Kathy

Kathy...creatinine levels vary for people starting dialysis. Usually when your GFR reaches 10 (15 for diabetics) you need to start dialysis. If you know your serum creatinine level, you can use the GFR calculator on the Davita home page.

Yes, all uremic symptoms (itching, nausea, etc.) will go away once you start dialysis and the toxins are cleaned from your system. Good luck.
    Whatever does not kill me makes me stronger...Neitzsche
    Flip

The skin itching is probably due to high phosphorous levels. This is helped by a combination of dialysis and phosphorous binders (prescribed by your dr.). The nausea is due to uremia and is greatly relieved by dialysis. And yes, most people feel much better once the toxins have been removed from their systems. It takes a little while (2 weeks to a month) for this to happen, but once it does you will feel better.
    To the stars through difficulty!

Question I Need To Know A Few Thing's

Hello there it's me Kathy again. I want to tell you some of my number's after my blood test. This is three of them, tell me what you think.
    Creatinine= 3.3
    Bun= 31
    GFR= 20

Can anyone tell me anything about this blood work, or maybe when I will be starting dialysis. I want to start so this itching will stop and being sick to my stomach. If someone could tell me anything at all it would be great.
    Your Dialysis Friend
    Kathy

The general rule of thumb is that you start dialysis when your GFR reaches 10 although some (like me) start between 10-15. Limiting your protein will slow down the progression. It's hard to say how long because all people are different.

You should also be limiting your phosphorus, potassium and sodium. Excessive phosphorus does cause itching. The nausea is part of being uremic and is caused by the toxins building up in your blood. Phenergan should help.

You need to decide which form of dialysis suits you best and start making arrangements to have an access placed, either a fistula for hemodialysis or a catheter for peritoneal dialysis. A good site for learning all this is www.kidneyschool.org
    Whatever does not kill me makes me stronger...Neitzsche
    Flip

It definitely varies from person to person on when you start dialysis. I had a GFR of 12 and a creatinine of 6 when I started dialysis, and I was half dead in the ICU at that time. I probably should have started when my GFR was 15 to 20, but I didn't know I had kidney problems until I went into the hospital.

Adam
    When my emotions start to cramp, the Lord turns off my UF and gives me some saline.

I itch like crazy. It even wakes me up! And I have sores from scratchng. But my P is within normal limits. I take an antihistimine, but that just makes me sleepy, I put some ointment on my feet when they itch whenI can hardly stand it. I itch on my abdomen, back, arms, legs, but not all at the same time. Sometimes even my fingers itch. Ever tried to scratch a finger? But ice helps a lot when that happens.

Impossible? Nonsense!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Sternthal View Post
    Hello there it's me Kathy again. I want to tell you some of my number's after my blood test. This is three of them, tell me what you think.
    Creatinine= 3.3
    Bun= 31
    GFR= 20

Can anyone tell me anything about this blood work, or maybe when I will be starting dialysis. I want to start so this itching will stop and being sick to my stomach. If someone could tell me anything at all it would be great.
    Your Dialysis Friend
    Kathy
    Like Flip said, limiting the protein will help delay the progression of ckd. I also found that if I ate too much protein I would feel nauseous. If I limited my protein to 3 ounces a day I wouldn't feel nauseous. I had a transplant when my GFR was 10 and never had to go on dialysis and rarely felt sick, just weak and tired. I accredit a lot of that to limiting the protein.
    It's not about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain.

Kathy With your creatinine level, I feel that you can still be operated upon. For my knowledge creatinine level above 7.5, then renal failure is a possibility.

About the itching, I would tell you is it is most probably due to your high GFR, though i m not sure .

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Sternthal View Post
    Creatinine= 3.3
    Bun= 31
    GFR= 20

Your Dialysis Friend
    Kathy

Another Question

Hello there everyone, Your going to get tried of me soon but I have another question for everyone. I'm over weight and the Dr. wants to do gastric bypass surgery. what does everyone think.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast