Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hair Loss

Hair Loss

I'm reading these posts and I now realize hair loss is an end product of being on dialysis. What I can't understand is how this suddenly began to happen to me--now. By that I mean, I put a rinse in my hair a few weeks ago and suddenly everything changed. I never had an issue with my hair (on dialysis) before this. Now, it's dry, brittle and worst of all, it is falling out. I found a bald patch under my fringe (bangs) on the left side of my head the other day. There is hair all over the bathroom when I brush my hair and on my pillow when I wake up in the mornings. There are bunches of hair in the tub when I wash it. I was convinced it was the rinse until I began reading all these posts. I confirmed it today with my doctor and he said it's a symptom of dialysis. He did not recommend zinc for me, however. He prescribed a special shampoo.

Is it possible this might stop? Also, does anyone know why it only started for me after putting in a rinse? Is there any connection? (I'm on dialysis 5 months now....and I've never had to put a rinse in my hair before now....I guess that's the good news!

Since you never had any problem before using the rinse I would suspect the rinse. What is the name of the shampoo prescribed for you? I would be interested in knowing.
    To the stars through difficulty!

Shampoo

I can't remember the name of the shampoo and cannot read my doctor's writing on the prescription. It looks like "Ketacomplete" or something. I looked up the name "Keta" and could not find anything on the web. When I get it, I will let you know. (Actually, I think it might be "Ketoconazole".

I also think if you use too many chemical shampoos it makes anyones hair worse.
    I try and use natural shampoos half the time at least and use some natural hair gels.

I really like the Jason brand products as they are good and very affordable.

I've always had very dry hair and also found that using some hair cream works quite well too.

I had the same problem with hair loss and had my doctor prescribe dialyvite with zinc as a few others mentioned above. I take one tablet everyday and have found little hair loss in the shower. I am a male and on dialysis for over just 2 years. You might want to mention this to your nephrologist. Hope this works for you. Zinc appears to be what I needed.

Bob

I'm already over half bald. I hope the dialysis doesn't make it worse. But I eat a ton of protein and take two dialysis vitamins everyday. I also suffered from some quick weight loss when I got sick. I lost just over 50 pounds so I've been working on gaining as much of it back as possible. Hopefully the hair stays!

Jon.

I've been at home hemodialyis for going on two years and haven't noticed any changes in my hair. Thanks to the brutal winter in SE Wisconsin, my hairdresser of 38 years fell on the ice and broke her right arm. This has caused me to go 3 to 4 months without a trim of my already shoulder length hair. In fact, I'd say my hair is longer now than it has ever been, which is a distinction that brings a smile to my recently re-christened 60 year old face. Managing the hair length is a lot more maintenance after a shower, shampoo and conditioner with the requisite tangles, but I haven't noticed any more or less hair pulled out or broken in the combing/brushing process or in the shower drain hair catcher since I started dialysis. I have been taking quite an expansive vitamin supplement "****tail" for many years that includes 15 mg or 100% of the recommended daily value of zinc.

While I can't thank my preceding generations for my PKD (part of the 10% that developed the disease via a spontaneous genetic mutation vs. through heredity), I can thank them for my full head of still brown/auburn hair.

8 months on in center dialysis and what I have is still there. Nothing lost yet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12