Subscribe to this Thread…

Thread: Creatinine

dg10_20

Creatinine

My doctor said my creatinine is at 490 and at some point at the 500's i am going to start dialysis. I am trying to stay away from it and am willing to listen to any ideas anyone has as long as it helps it out...

thank you

Creatinine is a waste product that is normally excreted by the kidney. As kidneys fail, this level will build up. Typically when a person is on dialysis their creatinine levels range between 5 &10 pretreatment.

The creatinine level is often put into a formula which determines one GFR (glomerulo filtration rate) -- this number is then used to determine if dialysis is needed. The following web site gives more information (go about half way down the site for lab test information).
    http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseas...neys/index.htm

Eugene

Creatinine

I am new to this forum my name is Eugene~ I had surgery Aug. 2 to remove my bladder due to cancer, I now wear a urostomy which I thought was going to be my biggest problem, I am fine with this part~

My problem is my kidneys they make plenty of urine but do not cleanse my blood thus making the need for dialysis 3 times weekly~ I turned in a 24 hour urine collection, a NEW doctor came to the dialysis center today looked at the report stated that I would not have the need for dialysis any longer~ The report: Creatinine 3.5 H Bun 73 H This new doctor wasn't aware of the urostomy or anything in my chart until I told him to take a look at the greenish thick matter coming from the stoma~ He had a culture drawn on the urine~ How will I know when the creatinine and bun level get normal if they ever do??? October 26 the Dialysis Center had my diagnosis as End Stage Renal Disease~ Called Social Security told them that I needed to be set up on a special Medicare part B~ Social Security call me asked a lot of questions~ Go figure~~

The progression of kidney disease will vary from person to person. Monitoring lab values is a key way to help identify trends. Both the creatinine and the BUN measure waste products in the blood (wastes that are normally removed by the healthy kidney). These two lab tests are commonly used to both identify the need for dialysis and to verify the treatment is effective.

The National Kidney Foundation (NKF) has an excellent website (http://www.kidney.org/index.cfm). Once at that site, check out "Patient & Family Education" and "Kidney Learning Systems (KLS)". Both sites have various links. The "GFR calculation" link looks specifically at the various stages of kidney failure and when dialysis is recommended.

Each dialysis patient is unique. The physician, social worker, dietitian, and nurse in the dialysis unit can help answer specific questions.