Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How many transplants can you get?

Hi,
    I'm just wondering how many transplants can you get?

Is there a limit in the US?

would it be 2 or 3 or 5?
    I have not read or managed to find out about this and have not had my questions answered by the "medical professionals", lol here.
    I was told "it varies" (meaning they did not like my question).

Also anyone know at what strenghth your heart has to be for that surgery or others?
    I was told my heart function right now is 20%? if that sounds right.

Also are they supposed to do some heart tests on you, because they didn't the last time for me.

The reason that you get the answer "it varies" is because it really does vary. First of all, each transplant group has slightly different qualifications for transplant. Second, the number of transplants in a lifetime would partly depend upon the age at first transplant. A person who received a first transplant as a child or young adult might need more transplants than someone who got a first transplant at an older age. Third, eligibility for a second transplant might depend in part on how well the person took care of the first one -- were all protocols followed?? Fourth, each time a person needs a transplant a new evaluation procedure is performed and it is possible that the general health status of a person could decline to a point that a transplant would not be approved a second or third time around. I don't know about the answer to your heart function question, but that level sounds pretty low to me.
    To the stars through difficulty!

Hi,
    well thanks for the info and comments.
    I know it is different for everyone but I was just wondering of people's general experiences also.

For the heard rate I was told that most people their function in tests is usually 50% or so , the doctor was trying to explain that to me and I forget what the name or the test was for that but it was kind of complicated.

The other thing was for my transplant, I did not do anything "wrong" or take bad care.
    It was actually the staff and doctors that screwed up my orders and were negligent.
    I'm not going to get into every single small detail, but I do have all the proofs ect...

Hopefully I can qualify to get surgery somewhere else I really hope.
    I really do not think I can trust the medical people where I am. The US sounds like they are more responsible anyways.

But I have to wait almost 1 year to do all the tests as there are waiting lists of 6+ months for the tests here and your name goes in with all the "regular" other patients.
    So doing all the tests can take 1-2 years.

Personally, I just take what life gives me. I'm 59 years old and will probably never get a transplant. Life on dialysis isn't that bad so I look at every day as a gift. I still do most of the things I did before and I prefer not to think about what will happen several years from now. Who knows, with all the medical research, we may have a cure for CKD soon.
    Whatever does not kill me makes me stronger...Neitzsche
    Flip

I've heard of someone getting 5 transplants, but I don't know if there is a limit or not. I also don't know about the hear thing...Sorry
    Shannon
    KidneyFun // Kidney Korner // Organ donation awareness products!
    If the world didn't suck...........We'd all fall off!

Number of transplants

I had my 1st transplant at the age of 19 and my 2nd last year at 34 (just before 35). The first time around my body took to the transplant and immunosuppression really well. I had several units of blood before my 1st transplant and several while in the hospital numerous times before and during my 2nd transplant. I am hopeful that this transplant will last a long time (first one was almost 12 years). As flipw said, perhaps there will be a cure for CKD in the future. If not, I will be prepared for dialysis again (hopefully a LONG way off) and I hope they will tell me I would be eligible for another transplant. Of course, I would be in another whole group as far as risk factors. I was told for my transplant last year I was still young and healthy and had a good chance for another successful transplant.

I have met others at kidney walks for the NKF that have had 3 or 4 transplants... wow.
    I think it differs for everyone considering their medical history, risk level, number of blood transfusions, etc. Each blood transfusion alters your antigen level and makes it harder to find a match. There is that plasmaphresis treatment that can be done prior to receiving a transplant.... but you should research that more.

If anyone here has had multiple transplants in the course of their life, they should put their 2 in... it might shed some light.

Blessings and Be Well....
    PurpleGirl
    Knowledge is Power!

number of transplants

My transplant surgeon says he has patients with 6 kidneys. That means 4 transplants. That is the head of kidney transplants at Cedars Sinai in L.A.

LuckyMe

I am a five-time kidney transplant patient. I had my fifth kidney transplant in 2012. I have been an End-Stage Renal Disease Patient since 1960. I had my first kidney transplant Jul 16, 1968, at the age of eleven. My research on this topic has revealed the following: Three transplants are usually the maximum; fou transplants are extremely rare; and, five kidney transplants are very rarely performed. I have been receiving dialysis intermittently for over forty-six years. I have have over ninety (90) major surgeries, including the five kidney transplants. I am told by my surgeon that I am the only five-time successful kidney transplant. Understand that each patient is different. This is why an evaluation is performed before each transplant to determine the patient's physical and psychological status as to whether or not the patient would fair well with a transplant. A heart-stress test is usually performed before a transplant to determine if the patient will be able to withstand the surgical procedure. The heart mus be strong enough, as determined by the transplant surgical team.

Quote Originally Posted by Fivetimer View Post
    I am a five-time kidney transplant patient. I had my fifth kidney transplant in 2012. I have been an End-Stage Renal Disease Patient since 1960. I had my first kidney transplant Jul 16, 1968, at the age of eleven. My research on this topic has revealed the following: Three transplants are usually the maximum; fou transplants are extremely rare; and, five kidney transplants are very rarely performed. I have been receiving dialysis intermittently for over forty-six years. I have have over ninety (90) major surgeries, including the five kidney transplants. I am told by my surgeon that I am the only five-time successful kidney transplant. Understand that each patient is different. This is why an evaluation is performed before each transplant to determine the patient's physical and psychological status as to whether or not the patient would fair well with a transplant. A heart-stress test is usually performed before a transplant to determine if the patient will be able to withstand the surgical procedure. The heart mus be strong enough, as determined by the transplant surgical team.
    Fivetimer,

Do you know what your antibody level is? Congrats on the 5. I have had 3, my first at the age of 11 as yours was. I have now been on dialysis for over 20 years... waiting for technology to catch up to my immune system....

As long as you meet the qualifications and medically able, there is no set limit of the number of transplants...
    NxStage - Since April - 06
    Facebook: Dialysis Discussion Uncensored

Hello, I just receivd my 5th. kidney transplant on April 16, 2013. Getting 5 are very rare, as fivetimer mentioned. I had my first 1979, just turned 15. Second was 1981. Third was 1987, Fourth was 1996 ( had it 11yrs. ) The first 3 were not seccessful. Since I am still very health, I was able to try for number 5. Was not very hopeful though, my PRA levels ( antibodies ) were in the high 90's. Due to blood transfussions in the past and prior transplants. I had such a good experience with number 4, I wanted to try again. I figured if I wasn't on a transplant list, I had no chance, a very low percent chance was still better than no chance. I stayed hopeful for almost 5yrs. on the waiting list. Then April 16, 2013, I got the call. they said I was primary. The transplant team was as shocked as I was. Now I praying that I can keep this kidney for a very long, long time. Since there isn't a crystal ball, you never know when your transplant will go bad. It can happen so fast. No promises on who long it will last. Good Luck to everyone who is waiting, that they will get their needed transplant soon and for those who already have one. Hugs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast