Subscribe to this Thread…

Alcohol & Dialysis

Hi Guys:

Just a question that has popped into my head because I am a wine drinker. Can you drink alcohol while on Hemo? I know there are fluid restrictions, but I'm looking at perhaps one glass of wine per week???

I hate to think my wine cellar is gonna have to go dry.

I think it depends on the person. I have heard of a lot (most) patients saying that they aren't allowed any alcohol at all, but I was told that if I drank take my phos binders with it. Also, you may not be able to drink after you start dialysis. Since I have been on dialysis, most drinks make me nauseas bc of the high sugar content. I have heard that a lot of other patients feel sick too from drinking, and they didn't before dialysis.
    Shannon
    KidneyFun // Kidney Korner // Organ donation awareness products!
    If the world didn't suck...........We'd all fall off!

Bad news, Bikerchick. Alcohol and dialysis do not mix. You might be able to get away with a glass of wine on a special occasion -- say once or twice a year. Like you, I was a wine drinker before I got sick. It pains me that I can no longer tolerate alcohol. It makes me nauseous and have severe diarrhea if I drink more than a swallow or two. You can ask your dialysis people, but I think not.
    To the stars through difficulty!

I didn't want to say it, but I get the same reaction from sugary alcoholic drinks, Nancy. It sucks.
    Shannon
    KidneyFun // Kidney Korner // Organ donation awareness products!
    If the world didn't suck...........We'd all fall off!

Alcohol & Dialysis

Thanks Guys. I now know to savor what I can before I start dialysis. But I know in the long run that I will be better off without it and will probably feel a heck of a lot better down the road. Grape juice will suffice....

I have been on dialysis for 4 months,and i'll have about 2 or 3 drinks of alcohol a month and my body tolerates it fine. i was drinking beer but quit because i found that it has high phosphrous content.

Some people have a high tolerance for alcohol and it does nothing to them even on dialysis. However, let's all be really real...it's not as easy as said to stop anything that is routine for us. I had to stop completely and had a case of beer and bottles of wine stored in the basement chiller and jaws dropped when I was told I could not drink any longer. I am a PD patient and dialysis every night (7 days a week). Yes, I tried it anyway and it had no affect on me because I have a high tolerance for it but I had to make a choice whether I wanted to live or die because if I kept doing it, it would shorten my days so I quit completely and never felt better.

I purposely stayed away from alcohol for several months after I started hemodialysis as I was told by my dialysis nurse that it did not mix well with hemodialysis. This is after having 4 to 6 alcholic beverages (wine, beer, liquor) per week for several years. I had been following the Surgeon General's alcohol consumption guidelines for years - no more than 2 drinks per day for a man. I kept my consumption to 1 drink per day. Hemodialysis changed all that with the preceding advice and I just lost my taste for it. That taste has come back, and I generally will consume an alcoholic beverage on my off days (I treat 5X per week). I have found that drinking alcohol before dialysis can lead to cramping from dehydration as well as some lightheadedness. I can feel some alcoholic beverages moreso than others, e.g. a strawberry margarita with real strawberries produces the greatest amount of ill feeling, while wine or beer not nearly as noticeable. I generally do not get tired out during a home treatment as I have to remove between 0.8 and 1.2 kg of fluid dependent on my treatment time. When I've had a drink, the tendency to get tired during a treatment increases greatly, which works out well for a nocturnal treatment but not for a traditional short daily treatment.