Subscribe to this Thread…

What do all these numbers mean?

the other day I seen an article I think it was called what do all these numbers mean I got up this morning and wanted to read it again (my husband just went from stage 4 to 5) but I can't find it anyone have a link to that page? Thanks Annie

by the numbers....

Quote Originally Posted by couponangel View Post
    the other day I seen an article I think it was called what do all these numbers mean I got up this morning and wanted to read it again (my husband just went from stage 4 to 5) but I can't find it anyone have a link to that page? Thanks Annie
    In renal failure, you will be faced with allot of numbers. The 'stage' numbers, from 1 to 5 are representative of how chronic kidney failure progresses from early stage (partial) to end stage (complete) failure; stage 1 being partial to stage 5 being complete.
    Other numbers that you may or may not hear about or be aware of is BUN and creatinine. These are blood level numbers that help signify what particular 'stage' the renal failure is currently at once kidney failure is diagnosed. Once at stage 5 and dialysis occur then other numbers become significant; such as protein level, phosphorus level, potassium level, hemoglobin level, parathyroid hormone level, along with sugar level, cholesterol level, iron level and adequate dialysis level. Each one of these levels has a normal, a high and a low number associated with it. The object of adequate dialysis is to try and get or keep these numbers as close to normal as you can. If any of these numbers get too high or too low, it must be addressed by the doctor first who then informs the patient how to counterreact that high or low number with diet, medication, etc.. In the unit I attend, a report of all normal levels gets you a pat on the back by way of a 'smiley' face on your report. That guarentees you that the doctor will not have to address any issues with you until your next blood test and that you are doing a fine job.
    For a more in-depth breakdown of chronic renal failure stages in kidney output please visit
    http://www.emedicine.com/med/byname/...al-failure.htm

|_arry

I think that the article Couponangel is looking for is one of the modules at www.kidneyschool.org. At least I know that there is a module there which explains all the test numbers with normal values and gives you a chart format so you can keep track of your own.
    To the stars through difficulty!

I took the course on blood count It was excellant and I think better than the article I was looking for thank you.

Glad it helped you. All of those kidney school modules are quite informative and easy to understand.
    To the stars through difficulty!

ya...I appreciate you....................