Subscribe to this Thread…

Breathing problems

I have a twin sister who is on PD dialysis. She is sick every 3-4 days. She'll be fine one night and the next morning she is seriously nauseated until later afternoon. Eating sometimes helps but not always. She can't do anything, but stay in the bed. I've gone to some of her doctors appointments and they always ask "Is the bag clear" ? and usually it is but she's still sick. Lately the biggest problem is breathing, she has a terrible time breathing at night and can't sleep. She'll be up all night long. Does anyone have any ideas? They've checked everything, her stomach, her blood, no infections, they can't find anything but she is so sick. I see other people who are on the same type of dialysis and they seem to be so much healthier than she is. We're 38 and she's been on it dialysis for two years. She started with Hemo and then went to PD about 6 months ago.

Has she been checked for asthma? A long shot, but I have asthma and that is exactly how I started - breathing problems at night so bad I couldn't lay down, nausea. Everyone looks for a kidney answer to problems when someone is on dialysis, but other things can go wrong as well.

Quote Originally Posted by StansWife View Post
    Has she been checked for asthma? A long shot, but I have asthma and that is exactly how I started - breathing problems at night so bad I couldn't lay down, nausea. Everyone looks for a kidney answer to problems when someone is on dialysis, but other things can go wrong as well.

I don't think she has, that could explain alot. She has been exposed to alot of mold, mildew that she wasn't aware of . I'll let her know - Thanks alot

I think Stanswife is right. Some of the sources of breathing problems in kidney patients have to do with anemia, over-hydration, and heart problems. If those things have been checked out and are OK I would look for something not kidney related, such as asthma. SW is right that, too often, the drs. look for a kidney related explanation when it is something else.
    To the stars through difficulty!

Her renal doctor actually asked her at the last appointment "Is there anything I can do for you? I was thinking "uh,, yeah" But, they adjusted her blood pressure meds, which it was very high and always has been. The meds don't respond to it either, thus the kidney failure. They have done echocardigrams on her and they've done a scan of her stomach, MRI's and MRA's and they never find anything, thankfully. But she is still so sick. She came by my office today and she looks so bad. Its all she can do to get walk around, but she forces herself to because of her three small children. I did ask her about the asthma and she has never been checked for it. She is going to talk to them about it at the next visit. Its almost like the drs have given up on her. I just can't let myself believe that this is how she will have to live the rest of her life. Thanks for the replies

Arrow

I am not sure if this will help but has she had a chest x-ray? Before my grandmother started dialysis she was short of breath so bad at times we had to go the emergecy room. We went to our primary doctor with this and she did a chest x-ray. Come to find out my grandmother has an enlarged heart. The way the doctor explained it was that when you have a lot of fluid in you system you heart works harder to keep the fluid out, this causes your heart to enlarge. Then once your fluid goes down the least bit of fluid around your heart can cause shortness of breath. I do not know if these means anything for her condition but it may have something to do with it. An enlarged heart was the last thing we expected to hear. Like your sister my grandmother was more short of breath at night. It is worth a shot to check into. I hope she gets to feeling better soon.

As a fellow PD patient, I thought my input might help a little. lol. When I started PD I was always short of breath and I vomited A LOT! Every few days, like your sister. I went through the exact same thing..."Is your bag clear?" "Yes, it is." .... no infections, etc. Part of it was me being completely dry during the day. The other part was just that my body needed to get used to having that fluid in there. I mean, I didn't feel like I was going to burst anymore, but my body still hadn't gotten used to it.

So if none of what everyone else says works, just give it some time for her body to get used to PD.
    Shannon
    KidneyFun // Kidney Korner // Organ donation awareness products!
    If the world didn't suck...........We'd all fall off!