Subscribe to this Thread…

Southern type recipes for renal/diabetic diet

My name is Casey...this is my first post here...and hopeing someone can help....

My father-in-law was just diagnosed with final stage kidney failure and has started hemo dialysis treatments. He's doing much better . He also has diabeties altho they have taken him off his diabetic pill.

Figureing out what he can/cannot eat has been a challange but we're getting there...slowly...very slowly. I know I'll have a million more questions but right now can anyone direct me to 'Southern' recipe sources...like Collard Greens, Blackened fish, etc. that would be ok for him? It's his favorite type of food...heck, he's from the deep south...and at 76 yrs old it's pretty hard to tell him he has to give it up!

Thank you!!!
    Casey

Go to the recipes section on this site. I'm sure you will find some things there. Also go to www.aakp.org. Chef Katie Joel (the wife of Billy Joel) has developed a number of recipes of comfort-type foods that may fill the bill. Best to work with his renal dietitian on this as there will be additional restrictions because of the diabetes.
    To the stars through difficulty!

Thank you chefnancy. I just ordered Katie Joel's cookbooks from that website.

I've been trying to meet with the dietitian at the dialysis clinic but she's very busy and hasn't been able to meet with me. Hopeing this Friday we can finally do it. I have no idea what his 'personal diet plan' is or even if one's been done for him. In the meantime I've been reading as much as I can find online and have learned alot about the renal diet in general.

I've got a copy of his "Detailed Nutrition Report" (his first from the clinic).
    If I list the values here maybe someone can tell me what he should be doing to correct them? (will be asking the dietitian for sure!)

ALBUMIN 3.7 (low) (protein stores)

nPCR HD UKM 1.09 (good) (protein intake and calories)

HCT CALC (HGBX3) 30.0 (low )(red blood cell count)

IRON SATURATION 18 (low)

FERRITIN 198.9 (good) (stored iron)

CALCIUM CORRECTED 6.6 (low)

PHOSPHORUS 4.1 (very good)

CAxPHOS CORRECTED 27.1 (good)

POTASSIUM 4.0 (good)

KT/V UKM DELIVERED 1.59 (good)

FLUID WEIGHT GAIN (good/high)

I *think* he needs more red meat for the iron and protein, and more calcium (use a supplement?), and to keep his fluid intake to 6 cups a day or less. Am I at least on track?

I should add that I am NOT giving him advice on what to eat/not eat at this point.

It's a long story but I've only recently met my FIL and it's only been a few weeks since I realized I needed to step in and help him out.

My husband has low protein and it doesn't just mean red meat - chicken, eggs, fish are all good. Also, his renal dietician has him mix a scoop of whey protein powder (available at health food stores) in a container of Nepro (renal nutritional supplement) - presto...47 g. of protein in one fell swoop.

Blackened fish might not be the best if you use a product from the shelf at the grocery store...check the sodium. Things like Mrs. Dash are great to season.

Greens, but not cooked in fatty meat, are great.

www.kidneyschool.org has lots of diet information.

I download some renal diet cookbooks for free - just goggle it. I also like Cooking for David for the renal recipes and, of course, this website.

You have to be aware of potassium, phosphorous, sodium and protein so read those labels closely.

I hope you get to meet with that renal dietitian on Friday. We can only give you general dietary information and it is possible that some of these nutrient values you listed for him need to be managed with medications in addition to diet. Only the renal dietitian and his dr. can tell you exactly what he needs. I know it is frustrating. The diet is daunting to learn and hard to follow, and I am sure you are afraid of doing the wrong thing. When you do meet with the dietitian, ask if he/she will help you plan 2 weeks of meals and snacks and either make you a shopping list or go shopping with you. After a couple of weeks, you will be comfortable enough with the diet to make more of your own decisions. In the meantime, if you feed him a healthy low-sodium diet you won't be doing him any harm.

I spoke with his Davita dietician today. She said she has not made him a "personal diet plan", she also did not know what diabetic diet he was on and to find out from his primary care doctor. (Shouldn't she know that???) But inspite of those things I did learn from her.

I now know what his calorie/potassium/calcium and phospherous limits are per day which will help me guide him on food choices as well as help me when I cook for him.

Working with my FIL to find out what he likes/doesn't like I am going to make up a sample menu for a week. The dietician will look it over and tell me if it's good or not.

Thanks for the tip on Mrs Dash "Stans Wife"....will be useing it...I did find alot of great recipes online! As for Greens the dietician said they "weren't a good choice" because they are high in potassium.
    I looked them up on this Nutritional Calculator
    https://www.ultracare-dialysis.com/e....asp?pid=s0106

one cup Collards, cooked, boiled, drained, without salt

Energy 49.4 kcal
    Protein 4 g
    Carbohydrate, by difference 9.3 g
    Fiber, total dietary 5.3 g
    Phosphorus, P 57 mg
    Potassium, K 220.4 mg
    Sodium, Na 30.4 mg
    Fatty acids, total saturated 0.1 g
    Fatty acids, total monounsaturated 0 g
    Fatty acids, total trans -- g

Thanks again for the help. FIL appreciates it too ( :

That level of potassium is such that he might be able to have collard greens once in a while as a treat. My daily limit for potassium pre-dialysis was 2000 mg, which I think is pretty standard. You will find different opinions about leafy greens, which collards are. Some dietitians say they are a definite no-no and others say you can have them occasionally if you watch the level of potassium eaten in other foods the same day.

Re: Southern type recipes for renal/diabetic diet

I accede and I'm no fan of protien affluent foods. If you omit the protien from your diet your hair could alpha falling out, briefly of course, and your derma will abridgement its luster, so you will not be actual happy. Watch out for the smoothies they are arranged abounding of calories. Yogurt, non fat milk, appropriate K, and broiled craven or adolescent are my admired diet foods and I'm just about the aforementioned physique as you (5'9" 130). Avoid foods that are candy or canned and alcohol lots of auto baptize its actual cleansing to the body. Also break abroad from soda and abstract if you can. You exercise regemin is solid. Looking for site Good Diet Plan Good Luck!

Re: Southern type recipes for renal/diabetic diet

Quote Originally Posted by daymondsdad View Post
    My name is Casey...this is my first post here...and hopeing someone can help....

My father-in-law was just diagnosed with final stage kidney failure and has started hemo dialysis treatments. He's doing much better . He also has diabeties altho they have taken him off his diabetic pill.

Figureing out what he can/cannot eat has been a challange but we're getting there...slowly...very slowly. I know I'll have a million more questions but right now can anyone direct me to 'Southern' recipe sources...like Collard Greens, Blackened fish, etc. that would be ok for him? It's his favorite type of food...heck, he's from the deep south...and at 76 yrs old it's pretty hard to tell him he has to give it up!

Thank you!!!
    Casey
    Hi Casey,
    You should get a personal diet chart for him which will surely help him to get more healthy. Hope he gets well soon.