Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Low Sodium Cheese

I have never heard about Low Sodium cheese till now but it depends that when and how much quantity of cheese you eat per day.If it is high sodium than you must give it up.

Re: Low Sodium Cheese

Quote Originally Posted by fit2fight1 View Post
    I have never heard about Low Sodium cheese till now but it depends that when and how much quantity of cheese you eat per day.If it is high sodium than you must give it up.
    No not really,
    just eat much less of it.
    unless you really feel like quitting eating all your favorite foods.

Apparently Dairy Delicious milk has 50% less bad stuff than regular milk.
    Personally if I did drink milk I would just have 50% less regular milk and save money that way.

For cheese I think Brie might be ok?
    this is for 100 grams though:

Phosphorus, P mg 188
    Potassium, K mg 152
    Sodium, Na mg 629

if you can even eat 2 ounces it is very filling cheese, also fancy cheese

I have even seen low fat low sodium organic cheese puffs!
    everyone I know likes them and keeps on stealing them surprizingly,the whole bag has maybe 300mg sodium for a 200gram bag.
    Not sure what brands the US would have as they are in the health foods section.

What about fresh mozarella, anyone know if it is low?

I have been web searching and info says marscapone cheese has 0 potassium. I have been having trouble controlling it and wondering if this is true. It is kind of tasteless, but can be used in recipes as a soft cheese. Any thoughts or information?

This is my first time getting on the Davita site as this is also my first computer. I'm 52yrs. old and have been dragging my feet stepping into the 21st century.Technologically challenged would be putting it mildly. Kicking it Old school I guess is how the kids are putting it nowadays. I guess I'm more like my father than I care to admit. Thank God I at least learned to type in school and I haven't forgotten how to work a qwerty keyboard. My biggest problem when I began dialysis 5 yrs. ago was trying to adhere to a renal diet and giving up cheese & most dairy products. I've finally got my potassium & phosphorous levels at a good level to stay on the transplant list but it has been a struggle at times. I'm going to hae to look for this cheese you suggested in the dairy case in my local markets.

The harder the cheese the more sodium it has. The softer the least.

I have checked and the brand that seems to be trying to keep up with the sodium free products is Boars Head! They have several that I've found.

Low sodium cottage cheese is good. Boars Head and Alpine Lace make low sodium swiss, and Boars Head does munster and American available at appetizing counters.. However cheese has lots of phosphorus so the only cheese I eat is cottage cheese or cream cheese. I'm a PD patient so I need the protein, and since whey protein powder is from the liquid/whey in cottage cheese, as long as it's low sodium, I can have some. National brand for the cottage cheese is Friendship. However, Giant/Stop&Shop chains have a store brand that is good, and doesn't contain potassium.

Gonna have to check into the LS cheese. I could live on cheese alone...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12