Subscribe to this Thread…

Acesulfame Potassium

Can someone please educate me futher on Acesulfame Potassium? I see it in almost everything that my husband puts in his mouth however I can't tell if it's a significant contributor to his daily amount of potassium that he can consume. All I know is that it is a sweetener. If anyone else has further info on this stuff please let me know!

Thanks!

I hope this helps. I researched it for you!

Is the potassium content of acesulfame potassium a potential health concern?

No. Potassium, which is found in most foods, is an essential mineral for maintaining good health. The amount of potassium in acesulfame potassium is extremely small. A packet of tabletop sweetener containing acesulfame potassium has just 10 mg of potassium. In comparison, most individuals receive approximately 2,000 to 3,000 mg of potassium from various foods every day. For example, a banana contains 400 mg; an orange 252 mg; and a sweet potato 390 mg of potassium.
    link
    Shannon
    KidneyFun // Kidney Korner // Organ donation awareness products!
    If the world didn't suck...........We'd all fall off!

Shay you rock!! Thanks for helping me out. Much appreciated!

Leafsunbear
    Shay,
    I went to the link and that website looks like it is referring to the adverage individual without health concerns. Would that information be totally correct in concern to dialysis patients? I am sure that in most food addivtives a little potassium in whatever form it presents it's self wouldn't hurt most dialysis patients, but for some it could be that 10 or 100mg's they don't need to be adding to their all ready high potassium levels. Others it would be just that extra boost to their low potassium they need. Just an observation..
    Peace;
    LSB

I just posted what I found. It shows how much is in different amounts of acesulfame potassium, so I thought it would help get an idea. If you can find something better, then feel free to prove me wrong.
    Shannon
    KidneyFun // Kidney Korner // Organ donation awareness products!
    If the world didn't suck...........We'd all fall off!

Leafsunbear
    It't not about proving you wrong. I could say a few things here, but they wouldn't do any good. I was just adding too or pointing out a side to the information that was left out. I am sorry that you see my participation as a attack.
    peace;
    LSB