Subscribe to this Thread…
    valens59

Question Dialysis questions

Hi, my sister has been on dialysis since Christmas. Her filters are clogged. She had the biopsy done and thats what they told her was wrong and they were pretty sure that her kidneys would never work again.
    I have a few questions that she would like to get information on or atleast feedback from other dialysis patients.
    1. They have been taking 14 lbs off her the past couple weeks (10 which they take and 4 which her body gives up) -- is that normal? She is sticking to her diet and drinking the amt she should drink, she goes for dialysis every other day.

2. How long has anyone been on a donor receive list?

3. Can all dialysis patients receive dialysis at home, i was reading online this morning that CAPD can be done at home? I am not even sure what type they do on my sister. This is just a question I had.

4. She is having pain in one kidney a lot is that normal and she goes to the bathroom a lot, she said when she has to go its urgent..

5. she has lost a lot of weigh, her legs are really small she use to be a pretty hefty lady, but after dialysis her legs hurt so bad she can verily walk? Is this normal?

Any other information would be very helpful that you might think we should know.

Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by valens59
    1. They have been taking 14 lbs off her the past couple weeks (10 which they take and 4 which her body gives up) -- is that normal? She is sticking to her diet and drinking the amt she should drink, she goes for dialysis every other day.
    As long as she's doing what they say, then she should be fine. Is the amount she drinks equal to what comes off of her each day?

2. How long has anyone been on a donor receive list?
    Well, I think it's different everywhere, but where I am the wait is 3-4 years. You don't have to wait that long if you have a living donor who matches. Then the wait could be just a few months!

3. Can all dialysis patients receive dialysis at home, i was reading online this morning that CAPD can be done at home? I am not even sure what type they do on my sister. This is just a question I had.
    Not all dialysis is done at home. Hemodialysis can be done at home or at a center. I don't know much about the home hemo. I do PD at home. It's with a tube coming from my stomach, and I fill and drain it with fluid. If they are putting needles in her for dialysis, then it's hemo. PD is done everyday at home. You should probably Google it to find out more about each. (PD= Peritoneal Dialysis)

4. She is having pain in one kidney a lot is that normal and she goes to the bathroom a lot, she said when she has to go its urgent..
    I, personally, have never really had much pain with my renal failure, but I've heard of many others having similar pain, so I'm sure that's normal. I do, however, still have the urgent runs to the restroom, even on dialysis. That just means that her kidneys are still working a little.

5. she has lost a lot of weigh, her legs are really small she use to be a pretty hefty lady, but after dialysis her legs hurt so bad she can verily walk? Is this normal?
    From what I wrote above about the different types of dialysis, I'm guessing that she is on hemo at the time being. I don't know for sure, bc I am not a hemo patient, but I've heard that people on hemo tend to lose weight when they first start. As for the pain in the legs, the only reason I can think oof would be that they are retaining fluid. That's the only reason my legs ever hurt...If it's really bad, I suggest talking to the dialysis nurse or the doctor.

I found a couple of sites just to introduce you to the main 2 different types of dialysis:
    http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/peritoneal/ for PD
    http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseas.../hemodialysis/ for hemo

Good luck with everything!!

valens59
    Thank you.. You confirmed a lot of what I assumed was correct.